Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_opal

Mulch is Your Friend

esther_opal
17 years ago

Here is the area I used 12-15 inches of leaves this Janurary. The 2nd was taken today, the 3rd is a very small amount of damage at the closest end that had about 5 inches of mulch.

Notice the hosta back by the tree that came up early and in the 2nd photo those hosta were knocked down by the freeze.

Many of the rest of my hosta (that came up early) are severely damaged by the terrible late freeze.

Comments (10)

• maryann_____chgo
    17 years ago

You should have used some mulch. o^o

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

o^o
    Maryann

I don't understand the o^o internet short hand?

• ademink
    17 years ago

Wow, those have REALLY popped out of the ground in a week, eh?

Mulch is not my friend right now. I just finished spreading about 6 cubic yards and still have 4 or more to go. Mulch is my nemesis. LOL

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ademink, I don't think any were even showing when you were down except maybe the 'Torchlight' in the front.

Are you ready for picture day? Can wait to see them! Patsy and I have been planting all day. I have not found a single bud on any of my Jap maples and the big 'Forest Pansy' red bud is dead. I think you said you have a dead maple?

• maryann_____chgo
    17 years ago

The o^o is my face upside down, I just made that up. Cute, huh? I'm too old and nutsy not to be funning with you, and totally agree with you about mulch. Here's my personl dedicated Mulch Hauler, notice the back is filled with loose leaves!

{{gwi:276046}}

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

maryann, I assumed joke but didn't get it.

I got my ideas from many others but I went on to run experiments on my own to see how it worked.

It's an old wives tale that mulch increases slugs. Yes, you can find slugs under mulch but that has nothing to do with having slugs. Slugs will find their food source then hide where they can, if you don't provide mulch then they will hide somewhere else.

I still have leaves in my station wagon from the fall. I pick up bags but they always have or get holes.

Love you leafmobile, here's looking at you 0\/0

• ademink
    17 years ago

LOL...love it, Maryann!

EO, they bog hostas were up about 3" by the time we left. Remember how they literally popped up overnight? I remember the ones around where GE used to lie...but it looked like it wasn't coming back....I think an all blue June and a few others.

I am almost ready for picture day - just mulching and I'm ready.

Unfortunately, tonight when I was downtown, I picked up a case of water and stepped backward.....and my leg went about 3 feet into a storm grate b/c it had been moved by the city and not fixed. I fell backward onto the sidewalk and thought I broke my leg. It isn't broken but WOW is it bruised and swollen and I can't really walk on it.

Looks like I'll be crawling and mulching tomorrow. LOL

• lavendargrrl
    17 years ago

Oh NO Andrea,

That's horrible news. I am so sorry to hear about your accident :-( Glad you didn't break your leg, but it sounds like it probably feels as if it is anyway.

Are you planning to contact the city tomorrow to let them know what happened to you? It seems like the sort of thing they need to know about.

I hope you have some help to get your mulching done. If I lived close I would volunteer!

~Angie

• esther_opal
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, tonight when I was downtown, I picked up a case of water and stepped backward.....and my leg went about 3 feet into a storm grate b/c it had been moved by the city and not fixed. I fell backward onto the sidewalk and thought I broke my leg. It isn't broken but WOW is it bruised and swollen and I can't really walk on it.

You may remember that both of my sons are attorneys and you need a lawyer for sure. If you don't go in with an attroney they will assume you are a fool and try really hard to screw over you. One son works for insurance companies and the other represents plaintants, I know both sides of those stories.

• greenguy
    17 years ago

sometimes i forget how nice it is to have a truck ;~)