Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Some pictures from my garden today (pic heavy!)

flower_frenzy
9 years ago

For anyone who would care to see, I've posted some pictures of different hostas around my garden. Enjoy and feel free to add your own pictures and/or comments.

This is a leaf from H. Seducer

Comments (32)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Luna Moth

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

High on my favorite list...this one never dissapoints me!

H. First Frost

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one can be finicky and hard to grow, but if you can grow it, it's worth it.

H. Great Expectations

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This hosta has pink flower scapes when it blooms. Also, the leaves will be tri-colored by summer.

H. Fantasy Island

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sum and Substance looking a bit messy.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second year 'Piecrust Promise' showing its potential!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My favorite hosta is H. June for so many reasons!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 22:53

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my first year with 'Forbidden Fruit'. So far, it's wowing me. Excellent, bright color and a vigorous growth habit. (The plant I got in September of last year was really small.)

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 22:56

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

H. Spritzer surrounded by heuchera.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second year 'Brother Stefan'. I can't wait until this one matures.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Goodness Gracious (indeed!)

• Angelinpink1
    9 years ago

What is the pink plant in with your H. Great Expectations? I LOVE the color!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mango Tango

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Ah, 'Piecrust Promise'! Looking so good, FF. You have a lot of great hostas, and you are doing a great job growing them. Thanks for sharing.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A lot of people have this one, but it never gets old seeing it.

H. Dark Star

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Don. I try. There are so many challenges a hosta gardener must overcome, don't you think?

Angelinpink-the pink plant with GE is a heuchera called Berry Smoothie. It's one of the best for color.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Grand Prize-my favorite of the tiaras.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Probably the brightest colored hosta (in the Spring, at least) that I have.

H. Ophir

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one grows well for me. I bought it (among many others) from Sebright Gardens.

H. Glory

• bchosta 8b west coast canada
    9 years ago

Flower-Frenzy,
    You've got some attractive looking hostas. Lots of bright colour. I have noticed Piecrust Promise in the past - the subtlety of the variegation and the somewhat wavy edge is growing on me!
    BC
    Most of mine are not fully leafed out yet, but I'll fire a leaf of Sun Power back at you. Picked this one up a week ago.

• nnmjdklil
    9 years ago

Wow these are beautiful! Just wanted to say that. I'm new to gardening and have only had a handful of things the past few years, some hosta being amongst them. Other than one I bought myself-- Blue Mouse Ears-- I don't even know the names of the others, they were gifted to me from Mom and as far as I know, she doesn't know the names either. One is small like my BME but bright yellowgreen-- I've never had enough room for the larger ones. But *none* of mine have all 3 colors like so many of yours do! These are just so lovely. I think this is the first of many hosta posts I will read tonight. ; )

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BC-nice Sun Power leaf! I have that one, but it's terribly slow for me. I keep it around because the pics I've seen of mature ones are so beautiful. So far, Piecrust Promise has been a good one for me. It's only the second year I've had it, but it's doubled in size and I love the wavy leaves. I, too, appreciate the subtle variegation.

Nikki- welcome to the world of hostas! If you hang out here for any length of time, you'll soon find that hosta obsession is extremely contagious and impossible to cure. ;)

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

Very nice! Love seeing all these pretty hostas that look so lush and happy. You seem to have placed Great Expectations in just the right spot. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Flowerfrenzy: those are beautiful. Feel free to post more. I love to look!

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

Lots of very nice eye candy - thanks for sharing! I must resist adding many of those to the list. I just got a small First Frost last year and potted it, but it is very slow to emerge this year and the one eye I see is somewhat measley. I sure hope it recovers! I had very high hopes for that one, to help brighten up a dark shade area under a japanese Maple (which is why it was potted).

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Thanks. I needed that!

• dg
    9 years ago

Whoa, flower-frenzy, your pic of H. Ophir, with it's bright color and the shine on it's leaves, can only be described as electric! I assume from your comment on it, it doesn't stay as bright of a yellow later in the season?

Dark Star is one I have admired other people's pics of for a while now. Yours looks terrific in a pot and is moving me towards giving it a try ;-)

Thanks for sharing pics of your beauties.

• kalija
    9 years ago

Very nice pictures - I don't think I have noticed Forbidden Fruit before, she is very pretty! I may have to look for that one.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Beautiful, every one. But you already know I'm in the FlowerFrenzy fan club. :)

Berry Smoothie is a must must MUST. How does it compare to 'Georgia Plum?' (I'll take this over to the Heuch forum if you think this crowd will shun us for deviating from the main event :)

I bought Piecrust Promise late last season and it's one I'm watching like a hawk. Very excited to see it grow up!

• User
    9 years ago

Flower Frenzy, the Spritzer with heuchies is one I like a lot. I see the purple heuchie on the left and the bright green, that has always been a favorite color combination of mine. Then adding the pink to it, you have a fashionable outfit right in your garden.

I might have to paint my pirogue (derelict boat) a purple so I can place bright green gold hosta in it with pink accents of annual vinca.

Thanks for the inspiration. Now I return to reading this thread which went viral since yesterday!

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

FF thanks for sharing. My favorite would have to be Goodness Gracious, or Piecrust Promise, or Dark Star....:)

Beverly

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone, for your nice comments.

Jadie-Berry Smoothie is a more intense pink in spring and Georgia Plum is truly plum. GP is also pretty small in size. Both glow in the garden and are worth having, IMHO. GP packs quite a whollop of color into its little size. They both age differently (color wise) as well. Berry smoothie gets almost a grape color to it with very veiny leaves.

DGregory-Ophir is quite a show stopper in the spring, but unfortunately it does go green in the summer. Still an attractive hosta, though and well worth growing. Mine is young yet. I've seen pics of mature ones and it's pretty amazing when it grows up. Dark Star is definitely worth growing. It's truly beautiful, which is why (I think) a lot of people have it. It gets darker in color later in the season, hence the name.

Mocc-I think your boat with hostas idea sounds awesome! It could be such a focal point. Make sure to post pics if you actually decide to do it. I'd love to see how it turns out.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting