Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Brother Stefan has a green eye

User
10 years ago

I'm not sure Brother Stefan is sporting, but it sure looks like it to me. It looks strange to see the nicely variegated eye and then realize that green eye is sharing the pot with the real Brother Stefan.

Please note, both eyes have a scape already. The green scape is shorter, but both are arising at this time, which is pretty early in the season. I saw no mention of sporting with this hosta in the past.

I took three pictures to get the petioles and view the two separate eyes. Except for the leaf color, from the petiole view they look alike.

What say ye? I'm planning to leave it alone and see what happens. But, I don't want to lose the real Brother Stefan if the impersonator begins to take over. Not just a leaf, the whole eye is a greenie.

Well looky at that...there is a 3d eye, did not spot it earlier while I was standing on my head.

4--this picture from 2013 shows the green eye. I guess I blew it off as having another pot next to it. Did not even notice. So that green eye has been there at least ONE YEAR. Picture taken in May 2013

Should I consider this a sport? Should I dig it up and see if they are part of the same crown stock?

Your advise appreciated.

Comments (23)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You should consider it a sport, Mocc, 'cause it IS! : ) Well, I know you like greenies too, so that's pretty cool.

You know I'm merely an enthusiast, certainly no expert, but heck, I sure don't see any harm in checking it out more 'closely'. I'd bet my puny 'collection' it IS part of the same crown. What you got there is a green 'Brother Stefan'.

Now I'm gonna go look up it's breeding history, cuz I like doin stuff like that.

Have fun, this is just one of the many great things about growing these plants, eh?

Y'know, I STILL don't have a 'Brother Stefan'! Do ya think I NEED it LOL ; ) You bet your H. 'Derriere' I do!

Don B.

EDIT: 'Brother Stefan' has one sport listed for it, a greenie called 'Step Brother', credited to Ed Schultz. Cheers.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 23:15

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Don, all kidding aside this time, you DO need Brother Stefan! I know you love Olgas (don't we all?!) and this one is spectacular.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahhh, Don....you gave me an idea for a hybrid, even down to the name.

If you cross H. Derriere with H. So Sweet, what do you get?
    A Sweet Derriere, of course. You can take it to the bank!

I thought you might be holding off because you have others with a similar variegation. But no, Don, it is an OLGA hosta. And a pretty special one at that.

In the morning, I'll dig it up and check the crown. And I'll check the color of the 3d eye.

Thanks for coming back so quickly with your input, Don. I'm going to bed, my back is killing me! All those bags of potting mix, and pine bark chips, and cypress mulch. Groan....not to mention slinging pots hither and thither and yon.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh yeah for sure, Jadie, I really do. It's fantastic.

Hey, that's good enabling there : )

Don B.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I cut those off as close to the crown as I can. Rainforest Sunrise had a big green eye too, as did Cat and Mouse. They tend to take over the whole plant if you don't remove them. Rainbow's End had a green eye this year too and I carefully removed it hoping for a shiny green one, but it only had 2 roots and it died. I think the rest of the plant suffered from my pulling and cutting and is suffering for it. Not worth it, to me, for another greenie. IMHO.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Mocc, OK Now I just laughed my derriere off at that.

Actually, no, no reason at all for holding off on it, it's on that 'must have' list, but y'know, all these other 'must haves' are always vying for position on that list, shoving their way up to the top and such. A simple Powerball jackpot would fix that whole 'list' thing. : )

Good Night,
    Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Babka.
    I'm thinking the greenie is attached to the real Brother Stefan. I would cut it off as close to the crown as I can.....hope I do not injure Bro Stefan.

I have Rainforest Sunrise also, and must check that one as well.

Actually, I tried to find information which would tell me if Bro Stefan had sported before, or if it had "reverted" to one of its parents, since it is a hybrid.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nooo, don't kill it. Separate it and get it boxed up and ready to ship. Mikgag will pay at least 500 bucks for it.

Don B.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Hahaha...good one Don. We know who did win that power ball, eh?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

See how you are, Jadie and Mocc...I was innocently browsing the Hallson Gardens website with no intention of purchasing a thing...

I just ordered...
    BLUE DOLPHIN
    FROSTED JADE and, yep
    BROTHER STEFAN

ALL YOUR FAULT, LADIES!!! And, I appreciate the enabling very much. I NEEDED all three of those scrumptious cultivars.... I will dream of hostas tonight.

Sweet Dreams, I just took an Ambien......zzzzzzz...

Don B' Sleepin' in 5 minutes. : )

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I really do like the way it looks, Mocc, speaking for myself. I'm still a fan of greenies. The bumpiness and wrinkling (That's the termiology, right?) could be nice and pronounced on this sport.

Don B.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

get it out of there ... if left.. it might swallow up BS next spring ... it will be much more vigorous as an all green plant... and might overtake the crown ...

don seems rather effusive its a sport.. i wonder how he knows its not a reversion ...

myhosta ought to tell you if the green version in TC has been named.. and where BS came from and what a green parent might be ..

since it not worthy as a seed parent.. i would do it sooner.. rather than later ... and i would destroy the flower stalk while doing it .. once cut.. i wouldnt be wasting energy on flowers ..

ken

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ken. I looked this morning and the new small eye is a green eye too. So I'm doing surgery on the triplets.

I had not thought that far about the scapes, but I'll cut both. Saving Bro Stefan is the objective here.

Later today I'll post the results of this operation. Guess I'll use my chef's knife which is very sharp, and maybe the kitchen shears....no chance of cross contamination with other plants there!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

BTW mocc,Rainforest Sunrise is a sport of Maui Buttercups,so a green eye couldn't be a reversion of Rainforest Sunrise! My Rainforest Sunrise,BTW suffered no damage from the freeze,because it was barely in the eye stage when the freeze hit. My Local nursery has Maui Buttercups now,so I may get it,too. BTW Maui Buttercups is a small GOLD hosta. Phil

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update on the Brother Stefan greenie. I sure do hate to call it a NOID, but that is exactly what it is. I have multiple photos taken during the separation process, which DID NOT REQUIRE SURGERY. Well, only to cut off the scapes.

The two teased apart with my patient fingers. I washed away the potting mix, and the roots were all nice and white looking, both had small eyes on each crown.

They did NOT share a common crown, no cutting to be done there. It seems they were potted up as two eyes of the same plant (I frequently receive such separate eyes from some nurseries), only this time one happened to become a greenie. I acquired this Bro Stefan in 2012 from MITS, and in my learning stage never noticed any difference, quite possibly there was none, and I planted them close together. Thus the root systems of both plants are one sided like two trees planted in the same hole would be.

Here is the process start to finish, more or less. I did remove the scapes at the end. No roots were cut, they teased apart nicely.

4 this is the real Bro Stefan root mass

5 this is the NOID root mass

6 and both plants potted and in intensive care unit

Now. Any ideas as to the NOID identity. I think it very well could be a tissue culture sport, possibly reverting back to a parent. Bro Stefan is a hybrid not a sport itself. Its parentage is 'King Tut' x a 'Mildred Seaver' seedling.

In checking the King Tut heritage, I found this in MYHOSTAS.BE
    [quote]
    Light green leaves turn yellow/gold as season ends. Near-white flowers in June.
    A medium sized bright gold with heart shaped medium sized leaves.
    This difficult to find hybrid from the late Gretchen Harshbarger has lovely bright golden heavily textured wide leaves (emerges green). Each 2' wide clump is topped with near white flowers in early summer on 3' tall scapes.
    [end quote]

So, if this green turns golden later in the season, it could be a reversion to King Tut? And I just took delivery of King Tut from Green Mt., will be getting Mister Watson elsewhere already ordered since December. If it is gold, I like it!

Well well well. Hosta genealogy is exciting business!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Phil, I'll take a look at Rainforest Sunrise and Maui Buttercups later today. My focus these days is one thought at a time. BUT, I'll be checking it out and taking notes so I won't forget.

Both are lovely plants, although my poor Maui Buttercups had the misfortune to be potted in a bad draining pot, and it is very small this spring. I think intervention is required immediately.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Mocc, you did the right thing to let that beautiful h.'Brother Stefan' grow by itself, it will be a big beauty as mine became. Bernd

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

No, Mocc, it's not a reversion. It's a sport. Steve explained that last year on my Orange Marmalade which sported a solid greenie (did not come back this year). Since OM is a sport of Paul's Glory, it can only revert to Paul's Glory. Anything else is a sport.

Since Brother Stephan is a hybrid, it cannon revert, it can only sport. It's genetic material is now different than either of the parents. Looking at the parents will give you an idea of what it might look like, though.

At least that's the way I understand it. (Steve will correct me if I'm wrong.)

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Mocc, look at those roots! Both sections are so healthy looking and all that potential growth to come...I'm rather excited for you!

Thanks, Bk for that information - learned something new today!

Gotta run! See you later. Great week-end Eeveryone!

Jo

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Thanks for those pics, Mocc. I think you guessed right. Two separate plants grown together since they didn't share a crown or even an underground rhizome. Mighty fine roots on both of them.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I just thought of a name for your new hosta - Stephanie.

There's not one in the HL by that name; I didn't check the registrar.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hi Mocc; In case this interests you...INFO FOUND AT THE HOSTA REGISTRAR WHILE LOOKING UP 'STEP BROTHER' 'Step Brother' E. Schulz (ONIR) 2011 Plant: 40 in. (102 cm) diameter, 30 in. (76 cm) high; mound like; medium. Leaf: 12 in. (31 cm) long, 11 in. (28 cm) wide; 14 to 16 pairs of veins; dark green; slightly rippled; dull on top; dull glaucous bloom underneath; deeply corrugated; very broadly ovate; Cordate base; Scape: 36 to 40 in. (91 cm) long; green. Flower: .75 in. (2.41 cm) long; bell; Peosta, IA - June 1 to July 15; 6/25-7/10-7/30; Seed: sets pod; green seed pod; Clump History: the original sport; 4 yrs old; Peosta, IA; Notable Characteristics: vigorous, heavily corrugated mound[Sport of H. 'Brother Stephan']

Don B.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, DonB, I thank you for the information. I had not thought about Step Brother. I did not want to say it out loud, to give the hosta a negative spin, but I was thinking along the lines of EVIL TWIN. (I say that softly.) HA!

I keep hoping this one will turn gold like King Tut does. It could happen, I guess. Wait and see.

I'll be checking for pictures of Step Brother to compare.