Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
var_wi

Osmacote fertilizer

var_wi
17 years ago

For the last 2 growing seasons I have used Osmacote to fertilize my hostas in the spring. While cleaning up this spring I am finding some of the round bebe from the Osmacote. Does this mean that it does not disolve properly and that the plants are not getting the full benefit from the fertilizer and like wasting my money too? I would like to hear from others that maybe use this product. Thanks, Vicki

Comments (9)

• esther_opal
    17 years ago

You are wasting you money using Osmacote if you use it in the soil, this is one of those pot culture things that has a value in pots but little if any value in the soil.

If you must and I don't recommend any fertilizer the cheapest way you can get the NPK is the best. Cheap 10-10-10 has the same value as expensive NPK.

BTW the NPK is gone from the Osmocote pellets now. There is a danger with these slow release fertilizers, most are temperature sensitive and may release all or most of the charge at a certain temp giving to much at one time and eliminating the value of slow release.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

bingo ....

there are various length release formulas .... up in your zone.. you better have the shortest duration .... i would want all fert processed by mid august so that the plants can start slowing down for dormancy ...

andersons 10-10-10 or 12 cubed or 16 cubed or 19 cubed .. 50 pounds for about 10 bucks would do just as well ... if as OE notes its really necessary ...

water.. water... water is probably just as good ...

the coatings are irrelevant ... if empty the fert is gone..

ken

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    17 years ago

Mulch and water is really all that hosta need. As has been stated, if must use ferts, don't use the slow release type.

• arcy_gw
    17 years ago

A few years ago I asked this same thing. I was told to squish one of the pellets in my fingers, and that I would find it empty, I did and it was.

I haven't used in since, but did not know it was not the best choice for in the garden. I suppose that is why it comes in small jars. Good to know. Thank-you!!

17 years ago

potted stock is watered almost every day .. until the water runs out the bottom .. in such circ's you need a time release.. or else soon enough the soil will have no nutrients ....

your soil, as noted above...... is a whole nother ball of wax ... no real need to pay extra for the time release function ...

easy to remember??

ken

• esther_opal
    17 years ago

I mentioned that many amendments come out of pot culture, which requires that we create conditions that promotes or allows plants to grow out of the soil. For example perlite has no value in the soil. Fertilizer is similar but row crops such as corn must have additional fertilizer because it doesn't have time to become involved in a symbiotic relationship with the soil, which really is with the soil organisms.

Quickly, in the soil N-fixing organisms delivers nitrogen and phosphorous is delivered mainly by fungus. I should but don't know about potassium. The beauty is the soil organisms deliver nutrients in forms the plants can use while chemical fertilizer must be changed, chemical phosphorous actually may kill the fungi that is doing the job.

Search Soil Food Web and get a little primer, 1/2 hour reading will make it clear.

• kathy003
    17 years ago

I have a 'year 3' potted Francee whose foliage color does not look quite right to me, it is a little pale. It has a little cold damage.

The pot is REALLY full this year. No way for me to get 'dry' fertilizer to it. I am thinking I need to put it in the ground or feed it liquid. Any suggestions?

I am not a big collector. I had to discard one Sum & Substance last year due to HVX.

17 years ago

if the pot is full ... its time to repot to a bigger pot or unpot and divide ....

replace with new soil ... and your fert issues are over ...

you should have started your own thread .... so answers about your topic come to you ....

ken

• esther_opal
    17 years ago

Just buy the cheapest water soluble fertilizer you can find. I have a five gal bucket I use to compost kitchen scraps, the juice from this compost is a good source of cheap fertilizer mixed at about the same rate as off the shelf water soluble products.