Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Spring Fling in Minnesota

paul_in_mn
11 years ago

Spring Fling is another that has shown a nice progression since 2008. This one also started as a single divsion in a 4" pot (top pic). Add a year for each pic going down. 2010 saw a nice jump and really held true to ...sleep, creep, and then leap. This area of the garden started to really mature in 2011 - makes for lots of pic opportunities. And then 2012....Spring Fling went SPROING....bigger leaves, bigger ruffles and really impressed.

Hoping spring sproings here soon....snow early this week and 70's expected on Sunday.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (19)

• User
    11 years ago

Indeed, Paul, it has progressed nicely. I would not have recognized it from the first plant as being the last one you pictured.

I get mixed up about Spring Fling, and the Stuart Asch hosta named Spring Break, which is the one I have. I located it yesterday, still alive, but basically dormant. I'll have to upload it later when there is something to see.

Thanks for sharing another hosta history with us.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Mocc- I am really curious about your hostas not all being up by this time. You are so much farther south than I am and all of my 90 or so hostas are up and unfurled. Which ones are not up yet, and are they of a certain type or heritage? You purchased so many so quickly, I know it is tough to figure out what works well for your particular conditions. Of course you can discount animals messing with them...that goes way across zones. Which one are not showing up that weren't dug up or rotted???

-Babka

• Gesila
    11 years ago

The ugly duckling that grew into a beautiful swan!

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Leaf margin starts light yellow and within a month turns to cream/white. Top pic if from late May and bottom pic is mid-August.

Paul

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Nice hosta! We also see the others in the photos progressing nicely, too. Is that Paradigm growing nicely beside it?

Thanks,

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bk, that is Dick Ward, a Zounds sport and a little slower as well. Planted at same time ('08) and starting to see some nice mature leaves these past 2 years. It's up to 4 divisions.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 11:42

• timhensley
    11 years ago

What's the beautiful gold hosta just to the right of Spring Fling?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tim, that's Maui Buttercups - same age, planted in '08.

Paul

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

It didn't look too promising in '08, but is a superstar now. What's the little white edged one in the rear in the early pictures?

• User
    11 years ago

The Dick Ward that I have looked very grown up last year as well. I got mine back in May 2010, so 2012 was actually its 3d year, correct? I'm hoping for good things out of it this year. It pleased me to see it last year. Tough, and slugs don't like it apparently.

Dick Ward on 4thJuly 2012

and Zounds, around same time, yellow all year, did not know it was supposed to be Large....looks medium so far to me

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MadPlanter1, the white edged one is Ginko Craig. It's several years older than the others in the pics and was moved from another bed. The camera angle was lower in the last pic so it doesn't show.

Pic below is in late May.

Paul

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Nice to see these progressions. Beautiful hosta.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spring Fling Update - looking glorious.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

More delicious plants, as always from you Paul. I just have to tear myself away from this forum...right now I am over-stimulated by all these beautiful plants that they'll be jumping around my head and I'll never get any sleep. I oohed and ahhhed at Coll's posting, then Idiothe stepped in, then you did.....i just cant take all this in, in such a short timespan! Be back tomorrow to ogle some more!

Nighty night, oh beautiful hosta..thanks, folks....you are all partially to blame for my insomnia!! Love ya all!

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

DITTO to what Jo said. You guys are killing me with all your hostaliciousness. WW

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Love that Spring Fling Paul. Its still on my list because I bought Gone with the Wind for that spot I had. I seriously need more room for Hosta.

Beverly

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful, Paul. Nice to see that the plant responsible for me buying mine is looking more amazing as the season progresses. Here's mine on July 8th. I love it. Looking forward to great things in the seasons to come with a maturing 'Spring Fling'.

Regards,
    Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

great, now I gotta go see what my dick ward is doing.

Gotta go ask Burt (Robin, of TV Batman & Robin) where his brother is ...

^_^ --~

dave

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Burt's also the Mayor of Quahog, Rhode Island, Dave. : )

Don B.