Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Another NOID help please

User
10 years ago

I purchased ONE Lederhosen in 2010. Yes, this is my original first-ever hosta order which was quite messed up.

I had an extra plant that I could not identify. For a while, although I did not ORDER TWO Lederhosen, the second plant would end up the year looking like the Lederhosen. You know, shiny oily like green patent leather.

But suddenly this spring, that all changed. I'll show the pictures, with this NOID now looking ever so BLUE. Take a look at the pictures. Let me know if the identity jumps right out at you, and I'll quit obsessing over it.

Here they are this year. If I can find older pictures on Flickr, I'll put them at the last.

1.The real Lederhosen on the left.

2. Both leafed out, striking color difference

3.Lederhosen leaf back not as white as NOID

4.NOID leaf back is very white

5. closer view of the two plants together

6.2012 June picture. NOID on LEFT this time

7. 2012 June...Both in bloom with NOID on LEFT still.

8. 2013 October... Lederhosen on left, NOID on right again

It bugs me, because sometimes they looked alike. They bloomed almost the same time too. They ended up with shiny leaves. But one started really blue.

Thanks for any clues to the ID of this long term NOID.

Comments (8)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

My Lederhosen never had any sheen on its leaves. It's unique color is between blue and green. The two of yours have different shaped leaves. Can't explain. Might be that your higher temps melt the wax. Sorry can't help.

-Babka

• kalija
    10 years ago

Mocc, the blue form of your noid looks just like Sky Dancer. I am having trouble with my photobucket so I can't post a picture but the color and leaf shape are so similar.
    That doens't explain why it looked like Lederhosen before though, but it looks so much like Sky Dancer I had to comment on it.
    Karen

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have Sky Dancer. I'll have to check out my other plant and put them together.

My Sky Dancer dates for 2012 July and came from Hallson.

The NOID dates from 2010 May from PDN (Plant Delights).

And here are my Sky Dancer photos.....(well, I do declare, it might be the one! Isn't that interesting....here all along, hiding in plain sight....) But we'll see if it matches before I go off the deep end......THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Sky Dancer July 2013

Sky Dancer May 2013

Sky Dancer August 2012

It's the not knowing that bugs me. For now I think that is a better than average chance of being the ID of the NOID. If it is that, I'll have to check to see if Plant Delights was selling it back in spring 2010. Or, if they were growing it.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Sky Dancer also has those distinctive white scapes...in your photo it looks like your NOID does too?

I had no idea Sky Dancer could get that blue! Lovely.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How strange. The NOID is probably Sky Dancer, although it is too dark to compare my Sky Dancer to the NOID for another couple of hours.

But, Babka, the one outstanding characteristic of my Lederhosen is the dark green patent leather SHINE of it all. It comes on, this shine does, after any wax has melted of course. The bloom of Lederhosen is in the purple/lavender range.

The NOID, also has a light lavender color flower. It comes to a shiny leaf after Lederhosen does. That is the one difference in the description of Sky Dancer that stops me from saying without reservation that this plant is indeed Sky Dancer.

This year, NOID is at least approaching maturity. I believe that is why its differences are more pronounced, and I it almost screams at me I'M NOT A LEDERHOSEN!

The same thing is happening on the other side of the garden too. The NOID which we'd decided was Satisfaction is looking much different than the one I acquired as a comparison. It is looking more like the description of Spartacus.....but my tiny new Spartacus provides no clues yet. Oh well, that is another story for another day.

Thanks for the input. The plot thickens.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I went out early to take pictures and upload to Flickr. So here are the latest.

First the NOID solo on the chaise
    It looks HUGE seen all alone

Now with Sky Dancer. Noticeably bluer, but could it be due to its 2 year more maturity? I got NOID in May 2010. Sky Dancer in June/July 2012

I'll be keeping these two side by side for a few months to observe them in all conditions. I shall remove the Lederhosen name tag, however. Just keep NOID2010PDN as its name for a while.

It is awesome how someone from the hosta forum can so quickly put a name with a hosta in the blink of an eye! Kalija, you got it headed in the right direction! I think it is nailed, but will wait for the flowers.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

My first thought was Sky Dancer but as I compared your plant to mine I saw that your Sky Dancer was bluer. Then I remembered High Tide which I got several years after Sky Dancer. It is more blue. Mine is still smaller but they are similar.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey McTavish, thank you for coming to the rescue here.

I looked in HLibrary and MyHostas.BE and found the pictures agree with the look of my plant in blueness. And, the flowers are lavender according to the text of MYHostas.BE. Even though it says bloom period is July/August, that could be in the lower numbered zones. My plant is pictured with a partly open scape on June 15....not too different considering the different growing conditions, right? Pictures aided all along the way identifying this hosta.

Well, I am glad I did not have to BUY another hosta to add a new hosta name to my holdings.

I think this one is High Tide. I am making a new label. High Tide checks all the boxes.

What a relief to know what another NOID is!
    Thanks, EVERYONE for your help and interest!!.

edit to add.....ALSO....
    It is also right ID because Plant Delights, which sold me this hosta in 2010 May, sells it. So it was in their nursery. I like it when all the pieces come together so nicely. :)

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 18:51

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH