Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi BKay, Did 'Stained Glass' Return?

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:33

Just wondering if she made it through the winter OK Nothing important. That SG was born in New Hampshire, had one season in Colorado at apprx. 6,200' above sea level, and seemed to love a season in Texas at low alttitude.

How's she holding up for you? Former parents have to know. ; ) Sugar and Cream seemed to enjoy her first year in Colorado, she grew very well. I can't wait to see her here very soon. She's pippin!

I'll send pics when she's leafed out in the next week or two.

Cheers, BKay!

Don B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi BKay, Did 'Stained Glass' Return?

It was severely damaged. I don't know if it will make it or not. It was on the table.

I'll take photos soon.

bk

o

Well, best of luck with all of 'em, BKay.

Don B.

o

Getting rid of the WalMart cheap (but nicely colored) pots with the saucers built on the bottom. I had holes drilled in the pots and the saucers, but the pots still did not drain. The saucers plugged up, and the water in some instances was found to be level with the top of the pot. Which was a disaster.

After I stocked a bunch of clean black plastic nursery pots in various sizes, I began pulling the worst looking hosta which were in the WalMart pots. First one to be dealt with was Ming Treasure. Fairly hard to find, and it is high up on the family tree close to Mama plantaginea. So I was anxious when it declined.

Yes indeed, it was in sad shape. Root rot, but not crown rot. Or, at least not ALL the crown. Some separate pieces with a section of crown dried up or mushy just pulled off the plant, roots were pathetic. So I dunked it in the bleach solution after I washed all the potting mix away from the roots. I may have saved it from certain death.

The same was true for my two Stained Glass. My 2011 plant was set to leap this year I thought, but it looked rather puny. When I dumped the pot, I kept breaking off the pieces of potting mix and wound up with a very small hosta. It was doing good to be alive. The other one was a 2012 plant, and it looked much the same as the other SG.

So....once I take a quick look through the hosta garden and seek out the ones hidden behind their large prospering neighbors, I'll try to salvage them. But definitely, all those pots HAVE TO GO. It was poor judgement on my part to ANYTHING with a saucer. Soggy media does not make for happy healthy hosta. I'm surprised my hosta lived as long as they have in those pots.

o

Thanks, Mocc.

bk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here