Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beast or bug?

Posted by cindyj 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 12 at 23:50

Something took a huge bite out of my Spartacus leaf! The size points to a deer but it is strange that the edges of the "bite" aren't ragged but very straight instead. What do you think?
Leaf_BigBite_4-29-2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beast or bug?

It looks like rabbit or woodchuck except for the even cut along the veins, (especially along the top of the leaf) unless the leaf readily tears along the vein when chomped on and pulled by a creature.

o

It looks like chomp and tear damage which would explain the even damage along the veins. A box turtle would leave clean cuts like that but I am sure it isn't. I still don't believe turtles like hosta leaves.

My guess would be something with sharp incisors but not cuspids and bi-cuspids. I think a deer doesn't even have cuspids and bi-cuspids. Since rabbits are in the deer family, it could be rabbits, which usually snip with incisors and chew with molars to grind food, and go more for unfurled leaves. Did you ever see a deer eat an ear of feed corn?

It picks it up with its incisors and throws it up in the air, and catches it with head turned upward. The ear falls to the back of the mouth and it grinds the kernals off the cob which fall down into it's gullet.

Les

o

Our rabbits do not leave marks like that.
I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty certain it's not a rabbit, and certainly too large scale damage to be a bug!

o

Roof, roof.

o

Maybe a caterpillar of some sort? I found a few leaves that looked like that last year and there were 3-4 caterpillars doing a job on a single leaf....

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here