Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hvx?

Posted by ktrout z6a, NE Kansas (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 0:03

Hi Folks - Does this look like HVX? This is in my mom's garden, so I'm not sure about the history on this plant yet. The second photo is a bit blurry; if you need better pics, please let me know, and I'll ask her to send another. Thanks!

ktrout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hvx?

• Posted by ktrout z6a, NE Kansas (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 12 at 0:22

I'm still getting used to the image uploader, so here they are a little larger:

From Hosta

From Hosta

o

Nope. I'd say Sunscorch or possibly frost. Eitherway, you can look up photos of HVX and none of them will look like that.

o

Sat, May 19, 12 at 0:54

Awesome. Thanks so much!

o

Wow you guys are up late. Actually the image uploader picture was better especially when you can zoom in on it. I think the closer you get to 250K, the better the image is. And Melissa is right, it's not HVX.

o

the brown leaf is nothing... but at 10 oclock.. the leaf just extending.. looks splotched.. as do others ... i dont know if its a camera trick..

on that first pic.. i can NOT rule out hvx ...

ken

o

Sat, May 19, 12 at 8:43

Hmmm, I'll get a couple more pictures of those other leaves and post them up today. Thanks for the feedback folks.

o

Sat, May 19, 12 at 11:49

Here are some new pics. I do think it looks like HVX from the other images I've seen. I added two pics of another, much smaller hosta that had osme crinkled leaves too. Thanks for the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: New hosta pics

o

Agreed, it does look like it.

o

yes.. its gotta go ..

the brown leaf has nothing to do with it.. other than to catch your attention and focus us on the real problem ...

and what the heck is that ugly fish??

ken

o

Agree with Ken....the second row the pic to the right is probably HVX. Where is Chris to confirm. But I'm sure it's infected. :(

o

Kill the hosta first (with Roundup or generic Roundup) before you dig it out or you will certainly risk transmission to the hostas nearby.

The Hosta Library has this to say-
" It survives only in living plant tissue and dies without a host. " http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm
"The virus cannot survive without living plants, but it can remain in the roots until they decompose."
http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/pastpest/200813b.html
" The primary route of infection of HVX is through propagation of infected plants. Secondary transmission is due to mechanical wounding a healthy, susceptible hosta and the subsequent introduction of sap from an HVX infected plant."
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3069.pdf

Dead hostas cannot support HVX virus.

Jon

o

Good catch, Ken. I see it clearly in the new set of pictures. Both ink bleed and collapsed tissue symptoms.

Steve

o

on a saturday. in sunny MI.. one would presume that chris is making a living in his nursery.. not cruising the web..

whats the ugly fish?? .. it surely doesnt look like a trout ... and if it is.. its the ugliest darn trout i ever seen ...

ken

o

That's not an ugly fish, that's his toe.

Steve

o

thanks for the confirmation everyone. I'll hit it with roundup and dig it out when it's dead dead dead. And find something non-hosta to put there, I suppose. That hosta has been in the garden for at least 5 years with no virus, and we haven't added any other hostas to that garden during that time, so it must have come in on tools. Ah well.

That gorgeous fish is a white sturgeon, from the SF Bay. There's something similar up in your neck of the woods Ken, the lake sturgeon. The one I have there is probably 30 years old and weighed around 80 pounds, but they get very old and enormous, upward of 1500 pounds in some cases. Crazy stuff!

Again, thanks for the help, even if the news was bad. I appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lake Sturgeon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here