Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

'Golden Meadows' Do OK For You So Far?

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

This was mine right out of the box last May or June.

Grow, little golden meadows, grow...

Comments (28)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And sometimes they listen to your encouragement, or you can beg; Hell, it's YOUR garden, do what ya want!

ALL RIIIIGHT!!! Very pretty might be gettin some grown-up looks already.

Anyone have pics of theirs yet? If not recent, how about last season! It's become a favorite...

Thanks,
    Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Oh....I don't have that one but maybe I will add it to my list! Very nice colors and the waviness on the edge is kinda sassy!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

No pics yet because nearly all mine are still pips, but my Golden Meadows looks like it had a big increase this year, so I'm excited.

• woodnative
    9 years ago

It has done well enough for me. Photo today.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Last year I posted a thread entitled something like "is this bare root a Golden Meadows?" One of my two pots is just emerging now---quite late it seems. Hoping that this year will be the year that I can definitely ID this plant!

It seems that many forum members' gardens are not as far along as yours. Please consider bumping up your thread in a couple of weeks or so. That is one gorgeous hosta that I would like to see more of!

• User
    9 years ago

Mine is doing better this year than ever. Last year the stitching of the ruffled edges was not so prominent, and the color was wonky. I like what it is doing this year, but there is not much if any white in the midleaf.

Yours is lovely, Don. It is responding to your vibes.

Mine is doing fine and it is scaping on me. I moved it to the blue hosta section, with some small guys also trying to bloom. I'm hoping they can make some great open pollinated seeds for us.

Here is mine from Naylor Creek back in 2012

Enjoy it. It has many faces to show.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

My GM is also from Naylor Creek in 2012. Had to have one after seeing a fantastic pic on this forum. Here it is last week. More unfurled now, but raining, so no pic today. It is doing great. Had a big jump this year, from 1 to 6 eyes! Even though it is viridescent, it still looks good at end of season due to pretty leaf shape and the ruffled edge.

Don: Yours is looking good.
    Newhostalady: My GM is always a late emerger.
    Mocassinlanding: Nice GM.

• User
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, I missed seeing mine at the just emerging and unfurling stage. Yours is surely a beauty, and it has a good bit of white. Mine has always been a maverick about the white. Perhaps I keep it in too much shade. But we'll see what happens as the year progresses.

• Ludicious Acres
    9 years ago

I was part of the 2012 crew after Paul charmed us with his.

How can you not resist ...

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Rain stopped, sun came out. So I had to get a current pic. My GM today.

Ludi: I think many of us purchased GM after seeing Paul's pic!

• User
    9 years ago

So, Ludi, it took Golden Meadows to lure you out of hiding. Extremely glad to see you are with us as spring turns our gardens into hosta heaven.

Show us your matrons. How are your Elegans? Tough ladies.

9 years ago

Wow, what a stunning hosta! Fantastic pictures! I have a feeling there will be more forum members that will be adding this hosta to their wish list now!

• HostaDoc
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of mine in 2012. It is doing very nicely considering it is planed below a Silver Maple. One of my favourites in the garden. I use it in my hybridizing as a pollen donor.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Mine looks like a twin of Don's. It's exactly the same size as last year, but maybe year three will bring a leap.

Before you add it you your wish list, it's not going to be that bright gold for long. In a few weeks the whole hosta turns green. That's not a bad thing, as it looks pretty either way, but it can be a surprise.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

A beautiful plant,to be sure,even if it is slow as molasses in January to grow. Mine has been one eye for two years,but it is still very nice! Phil

• User
    9 years ago

Hostadoc, good to know about the pollen donor because mine is about to bloom, and it has adjacent to it some small hosta ready to bloom too. As well as Clear Fork River Valley, which set a lot of pods last year. Can you imagine a cross of that rugose blue green hosta with this ruffled/stitched Golden Meadows? It boggles the mind, I tell you!

Here are Tick Tock and Nakaiana with lots of small scapes growing. Hope the timing is right, and they know what to do.

And Clear Fork River Valley, right beside GM

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

HostaDoc: How many eyes is that GM? I'm envious and hoping mine will have some size once it unfurls.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

All I know about mine so far is that when I bought it last year it had 2 eyes and today I counted 3 pips, so it is heading in the right direction.
    Don - yours is looking good.
    HostaDoc - simply 'wow'!
    All of them are lovely, it is nice to see a hosta looking so good even while it is young.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Here's mine:

I'm not sure if I have it placed correctly, though. I want it in more sun and it seems to be in less. May have to rethink it's placement.

• HostaDoc
    9 years ago

Hey HostaHosta,
    My Golden Meadows has 36 eyes coming up this year. It will be massive this year. Good timing, I'm having the South Western Ontario Hosta Society tour my garden in June. I planted it in July 2006.
    Mine does not green up as some I've seen but I do have it where it receives a lot of sun light.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

HostaDoc: Yours is just stunning! Mine, purchased in 2012 is a mere 6 eyes. Maybe someday... If GM is any indication of your garden the society is in for a treat! Do you have more pics? Please post.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Unbelievable, HostaDoc. That is one beautiful plant!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

HostaDoc, I would love to see more pics, too.

• vina538
    last year

(Old Post, I know) My Golden Meadows, 4 years old, is tiny and pathetic. I bought 2 plants for more $ than I've spent on any other hosta. One plant still produces only one leaf. It has been moved in the hopes that it will do better. All my other hostas are thriving. If I had not paid so much, I would have tossed GM by now. I live close to Niagara Falls, Ontario. Anyone else in this area having trouble growing this?

last year

I have had mine for several years. At this point I only have 3 eyes. A few years ago, I had to remove an all green eye. This hosta grows slowly! I'd say it needs to be placed in an area that has decent soil, has some sun and then it shouldn't be moved. Since I have been unhappy with its growth, I have separated all three eyes. Had I known how this one was to grow in my garden, I would not have bought it. But I'll keep trying. Maybe one day it will surprise me?

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

It’s too bad it’s a slow grower……..I have always liked the look of it.

debra

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    last year

I moved mine twice. It is slow growing. I am finding that manure applications do wonders though. Going to experiment next year.