Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Whole lot of shipping going on this week

User
9 years ago

And a whole lot of potting coming up over the next weekend I bet.

First order is from Avalon Acres, and includes the following.
Mister Watson
*Plantaginea-F
*Plantaginea Doubled Up-F
*Plantangea Aphrodite-F
Powder Keg NEW
Calamity Jane-F
Blaze of Glory-F
*Empress Wu
*Savannah-F
*Quilting Bee
*Poseidon-F
Sun Kissed-F (I think)
Peter The Rock
Shade Master
Tonoko Tachi
Komodo Dragon
*Lionheart
Moon Glow
My Cup Of Tea
Shiro Tama Nishiki
Something Different
Yingeri
The ones with ** before the name mean I already have one, so it doesn't count as a NEW HOSTA ADDITION. pfffffftttt!!!!

Then I believe Plant Delights is shipping my 2nd order of a mere two hosta, they are super busy it seems so they are late. Let's hope I get what I ordered. I cross my fingers. These are totally new to me, so they do count.
Swamp Thing
Regal Supreme

Then LOTG is supposed to be shipping soon, to include
ALL new hosta:
Quesadilla -F
Color Parade -F
Dubuque Sweet Standard -F
Good As Gold
Rascal
All Jazzed Up -F
Justice
Dixie Chick
Just So
June Spirit
Gracillima
Island Charm

and Sebright may be shipping this week as well. Might as well get it all over with at once, right?
Dee's Golden Jewel
Daisy Doolittle -F
Margie's Angel
On The Edge
Sweet Thing -F
Seventh Heaven -F
Wylde Green Cream

On Friday I got the ones I ordered from Glenbrook
Moonlight Mirage OS -F (I think a sport of Moonlight Sonata)
White Triumphator -F

I bought 5 big bags of MiracleGro and 10 bags more of pine bark mininuggets to make sure I don't run out. Of course, I may require another trip to Lowes for some more pots if the root systems are huge and I run out of big pots.

The first part of the week I'll be slaving over the new bleachers in the south end of the garden. The area is still a disaster from the winter, when falling branches and critters knocked things over. And now the torrential rains washing stuff around where I don't want it, have to develop a strategy to deal with that too.

So I won't be on the forum for long at a time starting tomorrow. I took a break today.

Comments (8)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I am not worthy...
    I am not worthy...seriously...
    I am not worthy...Festivus in Mobile!!!

THAT is no kinda BS inventory, Mocc. You are going to the docks for unloading the conex boxes, eh?

Love it Mocc, You are rolling...

Don B.

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Gosh, it would take the WHOLE BLOCK to fit in all these hostas! Enjoy, Mocc.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

LOL Mocc you play catch up fast. Let me see if I remember this right..... "I am buying with a little more though this year" ...... or something like that. I thought about it too. I took all the ones with an A in the name. Good catch. Stay hydrated I just got done doing the same thing. Watch the back and lift pots with 2 hands. I mix my soils with a composter to save time.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

All of your hosta are in pots, yes? What is your most common size pot for new plantings?

Just keeping all of your stuff watered has to be an adventure. Sounds exciting to me!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, in pots, Santa. With a few exceptions, not above 20 which are in the ground. The SMALLS seem especially responsive to in the ground, maybe too small a target for the squirrels and the pecans and sweetgum balls. Not as devastated by "conditions."

Oh yes, and I did omit an order from Savory. I apologize for that.
    Color Festival -F
    *Fried Green Tomatos -F
    Royal Flush OS
    Royal Super (2) -F
    Sombrero OS -F
    Sparkling Burgundy OS
    Tonoko Tachi
    Yellow Emperor OS
    Grasshopper -F
    *Aphrodite -F

Somehow I lost track of what I got from the early auctions but Reldon has a way of keeping track, so they will arrive. Maybe 2 of them? My brain won't wrap around what I must do to ferret out their identities.

Common pot size.....well, it is the 2nd size up from the small nursery pot. Lowes even stopped selling the smallest black nursery pot, the round ones, but let me try to get a picture of the commonest size I use. The really big ones are round and squat, I am up potting many of the older hosta into those. Then there is the really big DEEP one, and I'm up potting more mature hosta into that, like Avocado. After they outgrow that, it will be the tree tubs and probably giant plastic totes, for the big guys. (Hold on, I take my tablet out and get a shot of the supply so you can really tell. I don't know the volume of the containers, sorry)

Cannot tell much about the variety here, strange to say.
    9 inch, 10.5 inch are my most common sizes used. For larger hosta, I use the 2 largest sizes available, but only the ones maturing get the deepest pot shown. I do not use many of those so far.

This picture shows all but the deep size. The smallest pot is the 8 inch which they no longer sell at Lowes. And, Lowes in Mobile does NOT give away their old pots, they "recycle" them I'm sure because they now sell these pots. I asked.

Now, for my miniatures and smaller smalls, I like the bowls with a bit of depth to them, although they do not turn on the sides for winter dormancy. If there are no holes I drill some.

Here is a shot of the recently potted or repotted or up potted hosta in the staging area before moving them to the garden.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I can't believe so many hostas, and nice selections!! There you had already your yard full of hostas and now another 50 or so. But then some have 1,500. different hostas, so you need to do that for the next 20 years.... It looks like your husband will dig up some more lawn! Congratulations!
    Bernd

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Better you than me! If I had that many pots,they would all roll down the hill to the road below! I have no flat ground to put any pots on,let alone that many. You must have acres of land,and an endless depth to your purse! Lol! I thought I got crazy when I planted 20 in one year,a few years back. Good going,Mocc! Phil

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let's just say that I've lost 25 lbs this spring. It is GOOD for you, if the back can take it.

I have too much else to do potting things, to worry about providing shade for the unused (by hosta) space at the north end of my garden. So, taking matters in my own hands, I called the folks who put in the privacy fence around the garden.

I explained what I wanted. A 10 foot tall sturdy latticed wall with 2 passageways at each end of a 40-45 foot long pergola/shade thingy which will have a T on top like telephone poles to throw out a bit more shade and give a frame for my vines to cover it. Vines are a whole lot quicker to grow than trees, and I don't want to shade the entire space for the entire day. We have to allow for morning sun, and just keep the blooming afternoon sun off the hosta.

The openings on the lattice will be squares, not diamonds, and quite sturdy to accommodate the heavy nature of some vines. I've seen wisteria with a main trunk big around as a tree, squeezing the life out of the structure supporting it.

It will provide the final section of wall for the hosta garden, making the entire 100 foot long garden mostly safe from the killing summer afternoon sun. Yet, it will let me SEE the garden from the deck.

Oh, I have some great ideas and I do so thank my DH for egging me on with creating this paradise of a garden right on our own little city lot. One entry to the garden I've already named "Stargate" which is the place for visitors to enter, when we have any. That's where the streaker 'Stargate' hosta will be with a suitable icon identifying it. Then the other gate, over by the Teahouse entry, is the "Moongate" with my little Maltese's Moon Walk to keep his feet dry, bless his heart, and there will be the Moonlight Mirage, Moonlight Sonata, Moon Struck, and other such hosta. Each "gate" will be 4 foot wide, and I can pass through with my dolly and wagon hauling piles of mulch bags, bark bags, and loads of heavy pots on the way to the perfect spot.

This pergola will be the crowning glory, the formalized look of a walled garden, a secret place, a paradise. I often think that in the Bible when God placed Adam and Eve on this earth, he put them in a garden. God's idea of Paradise on earth is a garden. It feels that way to me, and that is the concept I hope to achieve. Back there, the feeling is of peace, joy, the dropping away of the mundane world. I can hope for nothing better than this.