Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westy1941

Eola Sapphire - Anyone?

Carole Westgaard
16 years ago

I just saw Eola Sapphire for $40 at a nursery close to me -it looked to be about 3 years old - six eyes and nice size. Was fairly blue. Doesn't look as blue as many on the Library; however. Anyone have it or recommend it? If so, does the blue last all season. Nursery knew nothing, natcherly.

Westy

Comments (15)

• esther_opal
    16 years ago

If it's not very blue at this point in the season it probably never will be.

• esox48
    16 years ago

I got one last year with the $40 price marked down to $20. It was the largest hosta I've ever bought, quite hefty at 5 eyes. This year it came up with 18 eyes.

It's a great looking hosta, very thick leaves, with some beautiful blue highlights and later develops some nice gold highlights.

I've got it as the centerpiece and am growing these plants around it -- Liberty, Beckoning, Eskimo Pie, Northern Exposure and Royal Flush. They are on a hillside so you can see all five in their full glory at the same time. None of the plants will ever touch. I say that now anyway

Obviously I think it is one of the great large ones.

• jack24
    16 years ago

I bought one last year also. I repotted it into a large pot and overwintered it in the pot. We had a bad winter (starting in Oct) & spring. It was my only hosta among many in pots that so far didn't survive.
    Dianne

• hostarox
    16 years ago

I have it, and love it! I would call the color blue as opposed to a green Hosta. The Hosta Library has it incorrectly listed as Eola Blue Sapphire, but the name really is Eola Sapphire. I've had mine awhile, but I would call it a fast growing blue. Pics from yesterday and today (when I saw this thread, I ran out and took a closer pic.)
    The first picture shows Eola Sapphire behind Alligator Shoes and Robert Frost.
    Rox

• botanybabe
    16 years ago

I saw this hosta in a planting one time and have lusted after it ever since. It was the bluest hosta I'd ever seen. And the form was gorgeous. I've never been able to locate one, however. I'd be interested if anyone knows where I can get one either near the Louisville area, or online.

I'd snap that baby up in a minute.

• Carole Westgaard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the quick replies - and the pics help so much because I am a 'habit' freak. The habit is almost as important to me as the color and I love the ones where the leaves are fairly horizontal from the top of the petiole so that almost no space can be seen between the leaves. Lemon Meringue is one of those. Now I wish I had grabbed it! It's gone!!!!!

Hostarox: LOVE Robert Frost! I've never seen it.

Westy

• hostarox
    16 years ago

Westy, Sorry it was gone! Been there, done that. ES is from Monrovia, so just find a nursery that sells Monrovia plants. Usually high-end nurseries sell them, which is why they wanted 40.00 for it lol. There's one near where I work that wants 74.99 for huge Eola Sapphires. I guess it depends on how bad you want it.
    Rox

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Huh! Didn't know I had such a gem! I just dug this one up today for a trade, split it in three, and now I have 2! It is a fast grower, I kept taking eyes off for trades in the past few years, but know that I have 2, I'm going to leave one be, so it will look like Hostaroxs' in a few years...

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh my--that is truly a beauty! Sigh!! I do love the "blues"!! I love how the veins are so defined!

Lynnem--can I become your new best friend???LOL

If I were you, Lynn, I'd hold on to those last two divisions, unless they are huge ones!! :O)
    Well, I just might share some of them but I'd wait till they were very mature first!!

janice

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Heyj, you just check back with me next year, and if they do well after the split, we can come up with some arrangement!

Lynne

• Janice
    16 years ago

Gasp!!! Are you serious?? I just peeked at your "list" and I think we could work something out by next year!! :o)

I am still fairly new into the "game"--I think this is my third summer for some of my plantings, but hopefully, next year there will be more for me to share with you!!

I can't believe it--I've wanted a "piece of" that one for two summers, now!!! I'm excited!!!

Now, if I can just "remember" this! LOL

janice

PS if the "gang" ever gets it together this summer, want to come along???? Especially if we could go to some of the great places above Columbus!!!

• lynnem
    16 years ago

Janice, I'll keep your name on one of the divisions, assuming they both make it!

• Janice
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! Lynn, I already have a good division of one of the ones on your list,
    and there is another on your list that "hopefully" will have multiplied enough to get
    you a division of it as well, by next year!!! :o)

If I could put a graphic up, (and I know I can't on this side) it would be of a frog doing
    the "happy hosta dance" and the two mice dancing around doing the same "happy hosta dance"!
    Can you picture it?? (Big, big smile)

Thank you--sooo much!

janice

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I was wrong, it's Hostarox that had the great photo of Eola sapphire. Isn't it a beauty?

Lainey

• Janice
    15 years ago

Sigh---It is SOOO beautuful isn't it!! I find I am really loving the blues! I have Brave Amherst,
    and the blue in that one is really nice this year!