Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenh2010

unusual sum and substance

kenh2010
11 years ago

I've been growing hostas for five years or so and when I went to a local retail garden center today I found an unusual looking hosta. It was with a group of Sum and Substance hostas, labeled as one, same color but none of the leaves have petioles. It looks somewhat like a cabbage or buttercrunch type lettuce. No leaf stems whatsoever. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Thought it might be a mutation or perhaps a disease thing. I bought it anyway, hoping for the mutation or sport, but was wondering what info anyone might have. Leave are almost round without stems. Thanks for your help. Just found your part of this site and am looking forward to learning a lot more. Found a hosta nursery in Salt Lake that we are going to visit next week - can't wait! Ken

Comments (24)

• User
    11 years ago

Ken, glad you found the site. It would help a lot if you could take a picture of this plant. GWeb now allows you to upload a file to your post but it must be less than 250kb in size. This is a good arrangement if you do not already have an account for online albums like Flickr or Photobucket.

I do not know enough about hosta to offer any help, but come morning I bet others will pitch in. Especially with a picture to look at.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hey.. another ken

this happens.. when a hosta is planted too deep ... making it grow like a leek ...

there has to be petioles ... its genetic .. leaving the only presumption.. that they are buried ...

one would think that genetics of hosta allow color changes.. sports/reversions ... but i have never heard of missing parts of the plant as a whole ...

also.. if it was very young .... the manipulation of hormones in the TC process.. could mess it up .. but it usually outgrows such weirdness ...

i would love to see a pic ...

ken

ps: do understand.. if it ends up NOT being a hosta.. you may never hear the end of it.. lol ....

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! That's a good one Ken. I am hopefully not that horticulturally inept to have bought a mislabled cabbage. Anyhow, I was afraid that someone would ask me to post a picture - we're in the midst of a remodel and will have to find the camera and the elusive cord and post it. It's still a young plant in a 4" pot and I don't think it's been planted too deeply, so here's hoping for a picture soon. Thanks for the replies and hopefully we can get it figured out. Maybe it's one of those million dollar plants! Ken

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

Hi Ken,
    Are you going to visit the Hosta House in Salt Lake? I live Layton, Ut and just recently found out about the Hosta House. I have not been there yet but plan on visiting soon. I also found out that the Rocky Mountain Hosta Company which is in Layton is having an open house hosta sale this weekend and also next weekend. I am planning on going tonight to see what they have. I am pretty excited about it! I had no idea there was a place like this in my town!

Linda

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda,

Yep, that's where we are going! Can't wait to check it out AND thanks for the info on Rocky Mountain. To think there are two hosta nurseries to visit plus an open house sale really made my day! Best wishes on your search! Will try to get a picture posted of my weird sum and substance tonight. Ken

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

I too am in Utah, south end though (Springville). Burton, at Hosta House is a great guy and it's a blast visiting his place. Every time I go I come back a lot poorer lol. I have been there twice this year already to buy Hostas from him. He has a great selection of well established plants at good price. I highly recommend visiting and buying Hostas from him.

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for recommending Burton - I've enjoyed talking to him a couple of times. Have you visited Rocky Mountain? Going to try to fit in as much as possible on our weekend trip. Thanks for your help. Ken

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

I am going to the open house tonight, so I will post more on how it is and what the prices are. The flyer says they have 130 varieties with prices starting at 6.99. I believe it is at someone's home in East Layton. They are having the open house tonight and tomorrow and then again next friday night and saturday day. It's on your way to Salt Lake so you might as well stop if you have time.

Linda

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just dawned on me we are going in two weekends (June 9). Hopefully they'll still have a good selection. Let me know how it goes! Thanks. Ken

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Ha, it seems anything can happen when you go to buy a S&S. I know how a S&S should look, have two very large ones myself. So I saw this green one labeled S&S in a farmer supply place last summer. It had those interesting white streaks. Seing a great buy, I thought it would be a Vim & Vigor streaker. But that streaker grew up over last winter and decided to be a Sagae. No more streaks. I have a Sagae growing next to it, same leaf form, same vein count, same stature, only the white/yellow border is much smaller.
    Bernd

• donrawson
    11 years ago

There are only a few hostas with very short petioles...and they are all small plants. Show us a pic of what you have so we can figure it out...

Short Petiole Hostas

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

Hi Ken, The open house was fun. They have a nice yard with lots of mature plants growing. I picked up a Blue Angel, Fried Bananas and a Dream Queen. The prices were reasonable too, $8, $10 and $11. Now I am thinking I may go back next weekend and get a few more!

Linda

• ogrefcf
    11 years ago

Linda, what size how many eyes do the plants have? Could you post a picture of them? I'm thinking I might go next week and check it out, but it's over an hour one way for me. Thanks for the info.

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don R, I will try to get a picture posted this weekend. Have lots going on. The links that shared re: short petioled hostas were on the right track - although these petioles seem even shorter. Thanks.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    11 years ago

Ogrefcf, I will start another thread and post the pictures.

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonders never cease. I found the USB cable AND managed to add the pictures of the Sum and Substance to my message. Any thoughts from anyone? Linda, your Rocky Mountain purchases were beautiful. If you go back, please leave a few for me. Thanks. Ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Well that certainly is different. I hope you bought one. S&S had some crazy genes and throws very unusual sports. That one should be grown to see if it's garden worthy and perhaps introduced.

Steve

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input Steve. Like I mentioned earlier I am pretty new to the hosta scene so wasn't sure what I bought was a mutation or a disease or what. Will try to grow it on well and hope that it is garden-worthy - it was certainly eye catching when I saw it. Can't imagine where any new eyes would fit if it continues to develop, but we will see. Ken

• gayle0000
    11 years ago

I'm going to say that whatever it is, is likely not diseased or mutated...it's exactly what it's supposed to be, and exactly what it's supposed to look like at it's age. (How's that for a non-answer!)

Whether you can be confident on what this young plant is has more to do with how much you trust place you bought it from.

Despite what it is or what it might be...and you'll probably make better conclusions after a few years in the ground...I'm curious what the roots and crown look like on this once you take off the pot and remove the soil medium.

I can't see the soil level...I can interpret and assume a few things...but I can't see how high (or low) the crown is in relation to the potting soil and in relation to the leaves.

It looks to me like...whatever it is...and it does look like a S&S...is a fresh, young division off a mother plant this season...pretty recent, in fact...and sets in the pot really low/deep because the person who potted the division planted it deep.

Gayle

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

now that is a mystery ..

the points on the leaves bother me.. in regard to hosta ...

there used to be a TINY hosta some foreign-worded version of 'swirling eddy' .. uzo no ma.. and it grew like that ...

but was about the size of your thumbnail.. and i think.. basically disappeared off the face of the earth ... and that one is not even in the library ...

ken

• Carole Westgaard
    11 years ago

Whatever it is, I WANT ONE!

Westy

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Before you plant it, it may be worth cleaning all the soil off and getting a good look at the crown just to see what it looks like.

tj

• kenh2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good idea TJ. I pulled it out of the pot the other day. It does appear to have a vigorous root system and it's only in a 4.5 inch pot, so I can't imagine that it's planted too deeply. However, I will wash it off and see what's there. Anything special that you think I should look for? Thanks for your help. Ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Ken,

Post a pic here of the full plant without soil, leaves, crown and roots. I'm sure I'm not the only curious one that wants to see this anomaly.

Steve

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths