Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Yesterday's Memories

User
9 years ago

This is a great hosta. It is doing beautifully here, and our conditions are not optimal for hosta. How is it doing for you?

Also, I wish to point out this hosta is a natural for a memorial plant. Remembering friends, cousins, immediate family. As Mother's Day, then Memorial Day and Father's Day approach, if you wish to GIFT someone a hosta, this is a sweet way to say "I can remember."

Here are a couple of pictures. The one with the yardstick is not true color. It is much too cold, the plant is a warmer tone than that. Incidentally, I repotted it into the BIGGEST nursery pot I had. Next up pot will be a TUB.

Early bloomer...showing a short scape in its heart

April 26, 2014 in afternoon light airbrushed green margins

and the one with the yardstick today, in its new pot
(drats, it isn't in focus either....but you get the idea)

Comments (7)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Goodness! That yardstick photo made me look twice... It's huge! What a sweet idea for a gift or token of memorial. I think when I die my obit will say "forget flowers...send hosta!" ;)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I will let you know real soon, Mocc. Mine has about 10 pips longer than any of my fingers that are gonna be starting to unfurl any day. I will post a pic on this thread. I hope it'll be tomorrow or Sunday. I cannot wait, I cannot WAIT!

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

A lovely themed thread, Mocc.

I had SOME expectation of what this year's photos from you would provide, but my hair is blown back by what I've seen so far! My anticipation of your leap year ... well, I just don't know how to put it ... Except with a very emphatic W O W! Your hosta, including this latest stunner are absolutely gorgeous. You must be so thrilled - how can you sleep nights waiting for the crack of dawn to get out there again?

Once ALL your hostas have reached mature dimensions, I'm worried you'll run out of real estate and have to move, even with the acquired additional 25' ! Lol. Oh wait - you can buy your neighbour out! no need to move, just remove another fence! ;-)

Truly beautiful, Mocc.
    Jo

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, you think a lot like me, LadyO.There is a vacant house next door to the lady behind us, and if I knock out a couple boards of my north fence, in the Back40, I can enter a totally new kingdom where hosta would absolutely reign supreme. (I have Regal Supreme on order, BTW) Lots of shade, a swale going through the property, it has a nothing house on it, but who cares about the house anyway..... You can only live in ONE house at a time, no matter how many you own. Rent that house out, put a board over their back door so they only get to use the front yard.....the lot is 300 feet deep, shady, a possible dam could make a pond with a spillway at the end of the swale, then a bridge to access the far side with a riding mower. Only....NO GRASS TO MOW back there. Just hosta. Hopefully in the ground, but we'll see how the experimental driveway bed turns out.

Yesterday's Memories is the same STYLE hosta as Squash Casserole. It is broad like it, I'm wondering what a third hosta similar in style could be.....with some color difference. In my garden, I'm thinking Purple Boots, which this year is spreading and rather flat on top too. But I need something that has a different leaf color....elevate all three like they were shade umbrellas for their minions clustered around the pedestal.

I just made the connection between honoring something and elevating it....lifting it up above the crowd, even in a football game...a statue in the park...a throne on a dais... an altar....presentation even with food is a significant part of enjoying it

I'll get a better picture of the YM with the yardstick today.
    The camera on the ASUS tablet takes much cooler pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo says, "....my hair blown back...." and that reminded me of the Maxell poster with the guy in the chair, his hair blown back, tie blown over his shoulder, listening to his stereo. What you don't see on many of the posters is the text at the bottom right corner.

"IT'S WORTH IT."

And that is the way I think too.

Link below is to an original of the poster for sale on eBay, with that text included. Not connected to eBay sales.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blown AWAY

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

See? You just get it! The whole shebang! Both posts!
    I get that there is a subtle message in paragraph two of second last post of yours..working on it - in two ways! I'll clear up my innuendo later, lol. Guaranteed to raise a chuckle, and assent from some of us! :-)

Btw, IMHO the retina display on some of these tablets, mine included, produces some fine pictures! But the outside lighting is key - I shoot when impulse hits me but there is a prime time to take the best pics according to what I've read. Very early in the morning and a certain time in early evening..I read something in Fine Gardening written by a photographer...too bad I didn't commit to memory specificity.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know which cameras or phones or tablets have "retinal display"....but I bet I'd like it. I'm an electronic gadgets junkie. My DH, the engineer, is not.

If you wish to learn about "garden photography" google it and be overwhelmed with sources. If there is a known best time to take outdoor pictures, they will mostly agree on the times, right?