Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any thoughts on Vulcan or Night Before Christmas?

Posted by Brandys_garden 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 1:12

So I have plenty of blues and yellows so I am looking at green and whites now. I saw Vulcan and Night Before Christmas at the local garden center on Hwy 76 today. Any thoughts on them? Be honest, please. I want to know if they are worth it.

I am expecting Cherry Berry any day now, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any thoughts on Vulcan or Night Before Christmas?

I don't have Vulcan, but I do enjoy NBC.

photo Niteb4.jpg

tj

o

NBC is a good grower in the south. I don't have Vulcan.

o

I don't have Vulcan either, but NBC was a good grower for me. I lost it a few years ago to voles.

o

Vulcan was new last year, so no comment yet. NBC grows like a weed...

o

I have both, and both are good growers. NBC gets a lot of sun and has gotten bigger than the registered size description in five or six years. Vulcan is in more shade and not growing as fast - but it's still better than a lot of my hostas. I live in Nebraska, not sure how they'd do in the South.

Cherry Berry, on the other hand, has been a lemon. After five years it has two puny eyes and just barely hangs on.

o

I have ever lost only three hostas..........Vulcan, Cherry Berry, and Fire and Ice. I haven't replaced any of them. I have two Night Before Christmas, both quite happy.
Jan

o

My NBC does quite well although it does tend to tear easier than most from falling tree seeds and debris. Also a little more slug damage than others.

o

I have NBC and it is one of my favorites. I think I posted a pic recently but here it is again.

o

Thanks everyone! I went back but I decided against both... All the plants looked stressed and not great. Plus, the roots were growing about a foot out of the nursery pot, I kid you not. So they needed to be sold and planted a long time ago. Thinking maybe they are some she hasn't sold in the last year or two?

Anyway, she got some Orange Marmalade's in, 3 or them, and they were stunning! I got the best looking one. It has a stunning sport, as well. I will post pics later. But, I figure, it will do well if I get it planted early this time, last year, I got it very late in the season if you recall, that could be why it didn't make it?

I figure, Albomarginata, Minuteman, and Medio Variegata are good for the green and white's for now.

o

Just in case your change your mind, here's my Vulcan, years 1 through 3. This one is growing in the sun for me.

I love Orange Marmalade, but have lost two of them, both grown in pots, I think with the Moisture Control Soil. I should have left the first one in the ground.

Vulcan 2011 photo Vulcan20110424_zps12de3c57.jpg

photo Vulcan20120620_zpsa17b152d.jpg

Vulcan 2013 photo Vulcan20130604_zpscdd343d0.jpg

Gesila

o

Gesila, that last picture of Vulcan is gorgeous. Love those tri-colored leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here