Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_in_sask

What does an immature Olive Bailey Langdon hosta look like?

donna_in_sask
11 years ago

I have two bare rooted OBL hostas started in pots and they have leafed out to a solid green. Should I assume that I got mislabeled hostas?

A couple more questions: should we assume that ALL bare root hostas that originate from Holland are at risk of HVX? Is it possible for a hosta to leaf out perfectly and then develop the diseased leaves later (without being exposed to another hosta)?

Comments (10)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

I've seen OBL with very thin margins as a young plant, but not without margins. It's a little early if it doesn't have margins in another month, then you've got a dud. Where did you buy it?

I would say all are at risk, but certainly not all Hosta from Dutch growers will have HVX. It's possible that the symptoms can not be visible for as much as three years with some young plants. But it's not possible for a Hosta to develop this disease without exposure to diseased sap from another Hosta at some point in its life.

Steve

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

All the hostas I order online come with bare roots...no soil. The soil just adds weight to the package. Also you get to see that you are getting nice white healthy roots. It is a "good thing". My OBL has always had margins, even when young.

-Babka

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

OBL looks like this from back in 2006,when it was first planted. It is the small greenish one just to the right and down from the larger gold Fried Bananas,and yes,even a young one is variegated. As to whether it is variegated when it first comes up,it doesn't show variegation until a little later. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:920083}}

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

Hosta_freak, a little off topic, but what's the very white-centered plant on the center-right side of this picture?

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

To tell you the truth,Frosty,I don't remember! I think it has gone to the great hosta garden in the sky,because that plant is no longer there. I went back and reviewed my pics,and I think it was Morning Light,which used to grow good,but as white-centered plants go,it just faded away. That's as far as I remember. I've slept since then! Lol! Phil

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

Donna,I went back and found a pic of my OBL from 2006,when it was first planted. You could hide it under one leaf of the present plant! Phil

{{gwi:977129}}

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

and a current pic of OBL Phil

{{gwi:923627}}

• donna_in_sask
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it, especially Phil for posting the pictures. I think mine is mislabeled; there is no variegation at all, only green. I bought it as a hosta garden collection through Costco online. I know I can return it for my money back, but I do like the other hostas that came with it.

I know it is risky to buy it this way, but I have not been able to source this one locally. My Frances WIlliams bit the dust a while back and I had read that OBL was an improved version. For what it's worth, all the hostas are in great condition and are thriving under the lights right now, just wished they were more careful about their labeling...Grr.

• donna_in_sask
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spoke too soon...I think there is a subtle variegation happening at the edges of the largest leaves. Perhaps not mislabeled after all...How far away should I plant these new hostas from the ones in my garden until I can be sure they aren't diseased?

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Donna,

Instead of Costco, try Goldenbrook Hosta. I'm sure they'll ship to Saskatchewan. I'm know they have OBL and hundreds more. Plus you know their plants are safe from disease and nematodes.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldenbrook Hostas