Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Just placed an order with Jim's Hostas & HostaDirect

esther_b
9 years ago

I FINALLY got hold of my Brooklyn friend with the postage-stamp-sized yard. She was in a car being driven through Manhattan and thus we kept losing phone contact as the car zigged and zagged through Manhattan streets and tunnels. I have been trying to get hold of her for like a week or more to finalize the garden plans with her. She finally said tonight, "OK, buy the hostas and heucheras."

That's all I needed to spring into action.

I had researched all the leading sources of hostas that we all love. Only Jim's Hostas had everything on the list so there would be only one shipping bill. And only HostasDirect had all the heuchies on the list. The bill on this project is a whopper, but my friend understands that these are perennials and it's basically a one-time hit.

So. The list (I made a couple last-minute modifications) is:

hosta 'Appletini�

hosta 'Coconut Custard'

hosta 'Eye Declare'

hosta 'Golden Needles'

hosta 'Paradise Island'

hosta 'Rainbow's End'

hosta 'Rainforest Sunrise'

hosta 'Smiley Face'

hosta 'Remember Me'

and the heuchies are:

Heuchera 'Paprika' (Starter TC)

Heuchera 'Rio' (Starter TC)

Heuchera 'Midas Touch' (Starter TC)

Heuchera 'Peach Flambe' (Starter TC)

Heuchera 'Vienna' (Starter TC)

I didn't care if the heuchies were starter TCs because they will handle being a starter TC better than the hostas AND it was a chance to lessen the financial blow of all these plants at once.

I hope they send nice plants and I really hope my friend likes them. She is leaving for Israel tomorrow to care for a sick relative (that's what kind of person she is) and therefore she REALLY deserves a fabulous garden to enjoy.

What do you think of the final hosta list?

Comments (8)

• miketropic
    9 years ago

I ordered from jims a month or so ago. the plants were small and I think one is dead already so do let us know what you get

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you only ordered your plants a month ago and one is possibly dead, I would pick up the phone and call Jim's Hostas to see if they would give you a replacement. It can hardly benefit their business to be panned in a popular hosta forum. I asked them to please send me nice specimens because it was my friend's introduction to hostas altogether. I got several hostas from them a couple years ago. Not the most giant of specimens, but they were OK. They sent me a bonus hosta called "Yellow Eyes", which I never really liked, and when it died, I didn't cry.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

Wow, she will have the fanciest "starter pack" in all hosta-dom!

Be prepared to hold her hand over those heuch plugs! I'm sure you are already familiar with them...I've only had two, and they were pretty un-impressive looking. In my limited experience they aren't too speedy. Sure are some great varieties though.

Looking forward to seeing the "finished product." Way to spread good cheer and great plants!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I don't think Jim's hosta is really good about responding to complaints. He never responded to mine. I asked him to wait 2 weeks to ship, that it was too hot to ship then. He did not wait. The hosta fried in the mail (rootball was 106 degrees after it was taken from the box) as they did not deliver it until 6:00 PM. I notified him of the problem when it happened. It did not return the next year. I emailed him and he never responded.

It's often been said on this forum to buy from Jim's if you can't find it anywhere else. I think that says it all.

bk

• esther_b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, Bkay,

As I explained, I didn't want to incur multiple shipping charges. Jim's was the only firm that had ALL the hostas I wanted in one shot. I do sincerely hope that they send nice ones. I have spoken with them over the phone a couple of months ago, they didn't sound like evil souls. We'll see. But G-d help them if they send me garbage hostas. The wrath of Esther is something no one would want to experience, especially when it comes to hostas!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I didn't say they were evil. I would say they are lax.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Hopefully it will all end well. If not, I want a ringside seat to the flailing. I bet it would be spectacular.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'll buy a ticket to that, as long as I'm not the one being flailed.

bk