Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paula_b_gardener5bon

Arc De Triomphe vs Sagae

My garden is relatively small so I have a decision to make. Suggestions anyone? I would appreciate hearing the differences, rate of growth for each, etc. between Arc De Triomphe and Sagae.

Thanks,
Paula

Comments (14)

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I have both and Sagae is a much better grower.

IdiotHe has an amazing specimen of Sagae. One of those "oh my goodness, what is THAT?" specimens.

I've had Arc de Triomphe for about 3-4 years and it's still puny compared to what Sagae was at that age.

If you only have room for 1, go with Sagae. You cannot go wrong with it, as it consistently is at the top of the popularity lists.

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

These are two very different plants, but both are beautiful. Both are also slow to increase. I think AdT is a bit slower.

Sagae is much larger. Upon full maturity (6 years) it will be an XL Hosta at least 6 feet in diameter. It's upright, has beaufiul variegation and undulation in the leaves. A well grown Sagae is an eye-catching specimen in a garden.

AdT is a medium/large Hosta. It has more montana shaped leaves. The slowness in its growth comes from Hypoleuca, so does the beautiful variegation. Here's a picture of my favorite one from a convention garden.

Steve

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank-you. Arc De Triomph does look amazing that in shot! Sagae is on my list but when I saw a photo of uk_hostaman's I thought perhaps I should trade. Hmmmm

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

OK, Paula; if these shots I just took don't convince you, than we have very different tastes.

{{gwi:977684}}

{{gwi:977685}}

2 year old, from Hallson's. It separated into 2 plants which I planted close together to try and get a large plant quickly. The one on the right is 2 feet wide (my feet which are pretty close to 12 inches). The 'planting' is 3 feet wide. I think this is spectacular for only 2 years.

Jon

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I was lucky enough to find this large one for $11 to replace the liberty I thought I lost from rot but upon digging it up it was still living and cut out bad part and bleached and replanted in a different place . I needed an upright and this seems to fit the bill. I now have two Sague and they are a very eye catcher, You will not be disappointed if you get it. I don't have the other but it will be much smaller when mature

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

H. Sagae is very interesting, it retains the yellow edge in deeper shade, but the edge turns almost creamy when it gets plenty of sun. a very good grower. spreads well, too.

dave

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Sagae! My big beautiful boy rules in my garden. Makes S&S look puny! I don't own AdT although it is a lovely hosta also - but nothing beats a Sagae in its leap year!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Oh how I wish I had saved the photo of Tigger's 6 foot wide Sagae. IT was jaw dropping. I had to divide mine up when it split the side of a 3 gal. black nursery pot.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Gesila, I just HAVE to say - I love your groupings. The colours are so serene in the AdT picture and the second one with S is soo pleasing to the eye. No matter what picture you post of what hosta, it always makes me pause to take in every detail. The colour blends are masterfully done. Simply Beautiful!

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

No kidding, huh Jo. Gesila, in my opinion you have some of the nicest hosta gardens I've seen. Your garden videos don't hurt my eyes, either. : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, May 11, 14 at 1:45

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for the great feedback. Sagae it is :)
    Now I just have to find a spot...

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

I will be pulling a Sagae out of my garden for one of the corner gardens on the square. As a master gardener, we tend the four gardens -- or dog ears -- on each corner of the town square.

The city buys materials, but they only pony up about $400 a year, so we end up donating a lot. I like to put in perennials. But I got the sunny NW corner. Annuals get 'spensive in a hurry when there is not money available. This way we can afford to buy mulch, which pays dividends years down the road. Mine is a heuchie hosta corner. I am gonna throw in some seedum as well ... some cannas and probably a flat or two of snapdragons.

Gotta replace the knockout rose ... thinking about some miscanthus ... for the drivers to look around

heh heh heh
    _~

dave b

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Thank you Don and Jo. I'm fortunate to have place to buy large hostas near by. And, it's all trial and error. I'm so glad I have a DH that's willing to do this for me all summer long:

Gesila