Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Green Alert

Get the milk carton out as I am missing 2 hostas. I cannot find them anywhere and they were twin girls and clearly marked. I have been hosta poached. If you have seen my First Frosts send them home please. There may be a reward. Paula

Comments (10)

• tepelus
    10 years ago

That's a big bummer. I recently moved back to my home town and I'm more afraid of people here stealing and destroying things in a town of 1700 than the city of 20,000 I moved from. The people here haven't changed, there are a lot of good people, but there are always a few rotten apples that have to ruin things for others.

Karen

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

There are rotten people everywhere. We've given up on planting geraniums at the cemetery. They're always gone the next day.

Sorry your twins got kidnapped. It looks like they were nice big ones.

• Marinewifenc
    10 years ago

Someone stole one of my cannas I can't figure out why people would do that to anyone. I'd have just given them one if they asked. If you are too lazy to grow it and too cheap to buy it you probably won't take care of it anyways.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Sorry to here you were hostanapped. Container gardening does make me nervous. So far, living here for 17 years no containers or plants have gone missing but across from my mother's house someone stole a fancy/expensive conifer right out of the ground. Grr. I hope you find your hosta, or that someones realizes their "mistake" and returns them.

Beverly

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Makes the steam come out of my ears!!! Some days I really prefer cats to people. So sad.
    Jan

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jan, the more people I meet, the more I like animals.

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I wonder, just planted a new $75 False Cypress and transplanted an unusual pine, but my area is safe. Both are ready to be janked out close to the curb by passerbys and put into their truck. Nobody stole here anything yet though, 99% probably do not know what I have. My backyard with the hostas is fenced in, from the road sharp points on the fence can be seen.
    Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Don't have sharp points, but I have a 7 foot wooden privacy fence around the entire garden from both sides of the house, beginning at the side corners nearest the street. No one sees in, so they cannot "case the joint".....however, among the things stolen when The Plant Thief was raging through the area, was a nice Japanese maple in the ground, and several container plants and ornamental stepping stones.

I began spraying my plant stems and pots with the florescent pink paint to help identify them. This thief even took a chain and truck to pull out a tall palm at our church, but it broke off and soon that palm died. Bummer.....This woman was a mental case, according to the courts. How you going to identify your plants even when they recover them? Pretty hard thing to do.

Other than that, I have not experienced theft. However, I see signs of vandalism, damaging some plants, and it can be adults as often as kids. Won't say no more about that, as we just discovered 4 of our Italian cypress apparently sprayed on one side with something.like Roundup.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

There was a woman from Minnesota,I think,who used to post on here,and she had hostas stolen right out of her garden,and they were planted ones,and they weren't recently planted,either! Some people have their nerve. Phil

• timhensley
    10 years ago

We had to stop bringing live plants to my parents gravesite as they would be stolen along with shephard's hooks, benches and anything else that isn't set in concrete. It's a real bummer when humans choose to act so disgracefully.