Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

A few pics

uk-hostaman
10 years ago

A terrible spring over in the uk,so everything way behind..but took a few pics this morning
clovelly

my first streaker,from my niagra falls

new last year bam bam blue

journeys end finally taken off

one of the garden

another one

spartacus

lakeside cindy cee

close up of lakeside cindy cee

ocean isle new last year

new last year..blueberry muffin

another garden photo..getting full!..3 new seducers in the pots on the right standing tall..should look good when mature!

goodness gracious..going to be a favourite i think

another of the garden

love my niagra falls in this photo..a truly stunning hosta..with sum and substance in the fore ground

i have a few lakeside cindy cee!

my fav. hosta seducer.. wish i could pick up its colours in this photo

Comments (54)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Your plants and garden are very special. Thank you for letting us "share" it with you.

Your Lakeside Cindy Cee is spectacular. I wonder how many years of growth it takes to look like yours?

I am glad to see you are having success with hosta in pots. (Eighty percent of my hostas are in pots.) What size pot are your largest hostas in?

Have you ever thought of doing a you tube video?

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Thanks, UK for the tour. As usual, your hosta are beautiful. I think I'm going to have to have one of those LS Cindy Cees. You got me started on the ruffled edge ones. I only have a couple, but that's sure to change.

Thanks again.

bk

• netcub
    10 years ago

All I can say is WOW!

Amazing Hostas.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

It was your photo of Goodness Gracious that made me have to have it. Now your Cindy Cee is doing the same thing. Thanks!

-Babka

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Noone grows those ruffled edged hostas like you do! I think I'm going to put my Spartacus in a pot. It never looks as nice as yours does even though it's growing like a chia pet!

I look forward to your pictures ever since I saw them a few years back.

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

UK, so very good to have your garden featured again. I know the shrub kill was a bad thing, but it seems not an insurmountable problem for you. Some might say it was an opportunity to refocus your garden. Which you've done admirably.

I have one Seducer which is trying to bloom now, and he is standing very tall, can tell him from far away. Goodness Gracious is another familiar favorite. Had not intended to get a LS Cindy Cee, but you are twisting my arm here! Mercy....something that looks THAT GOOD is hard to resist.
    It does my heart good to see such beauty and gardening talent.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

Gorgeous garden and hosta. Two more on my list: Lakeside Cindy Cee and Seducer.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Wow - just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it with us.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Another wow from me. Did you get most of them from Van Den Top ? The ones I got from him have only been in the ground for around 12 days and they are looking great.

Another question,I know you said on a thread once,(I researched) that you use seaweed and alfalfa.I bought some seaweed fertilizer from the UK and have not used it on the new hostas as they are newbies like me. Some other plants I have used it on have really shot up.Do you use liquid or..?
    Also got some alfalfa powder as the rabbit food I found in the shops here was filled with lots of other stuff. May add this to the mix later on. Any advice? Thanks!

Now I just put lots more in my cart,those seducers do that don't they? LCC is pretty amazing too.

James

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks again everyone..been a real struggle this season..still alot to do!
    stoc...yes alot are from van de top and fransens..getting virus free stock is a must,which is even more important when gardening in a very small area....i have for the last 2 seasons used the alfalfa pellets you get to feed horses and just put some around each pot and water..i do this a couple of times early in the year...also use bone meal in the middle of the season..they did get a little seaweed powder this season as well!..i do use alot of composted bark in my mix ..one real good advice i picked up a few seasons ago from ken i think,was to gradually up the pot sizes and not stick it in a big pot right away..i lost a few doing that!..the hosta will tell you when its ready to be moved!..hope this all helps..
    i forgot to add my arc de triomphe,which is very close to being my fav...love this hosta..it just gets better and better

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the info!!
    Dang it! Now you posted another beauty. I have got to stop coming here..tee hee

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Wow, Wow, Wow! What else can I say?

Your garden is absolutely beautiful! I wish I could see it in person. I have now added a few more to my wish list list thanks to you. Anyone know where I can purchase a LS Cindy Cee? It is a must have for sure!

Thanks for posting,
    Linda

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

UK, your garden always leaves me breathless! It is so lovely. I am now off to search for seven new hosta just based on your pics. Well, I did have Clovelly, but it seems to have disappeared. I am nothing if not persistent and will try again! :)

Cynthia

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I think I'll go out and burn my paltry garden! You must have the perfect climate for hostas. Weather here has been weird also,but hostas are still growing well. Your garden is awe-inspiring! Thanks for giving us another look! Phil

• esther_b
    10 years ago

As much effort as I put into my little garden oases in a sea of urban, I feel like I've done nothing compared to your garden.

But ha-ha, my black foam tubes arrived today AND my trellis netting, so I can create a foam and net trellis arch to replace the beautiful black wrought iron one that our co-op insurance guy has deemed so DANGEROUS. And there is plenty of black foam tubing left over to glue to the top of the VERY DANGEROUS Adirondack fencing with its non-existent sharp points! Bet you don't have a black foam tube trellis, right? Gotcha!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Wow and wow again - every picture is better than the last. The garden is gorgeous, and so lush and green! I can hear Ocean Isle calling my name.

Will have to try the alfalfa cubes, easy to obtain here in farming country.

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Bump.....have to keep Uk's garden on top of the page. Absolutely stunning!!

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful images. You have a top-of-the-line camera; it only takes amazing photos ; ) It was actually your pics that got me to order some piecrust margined Hosta (Starting with 'Spartacus')...So glad I did.

Thanks again, UK!

Don B.
    Westminster, CO.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I looked forward to seeing this. You continue to inspire.
    Thanks Beverly

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

The weather in the UK is perfect for growing hosta in pots. See Diana Grenfell books. Be sure you understand this before you leave your pots outside during our winters.

UK, just stunning hosta and pictures as always.

Pat

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Always enjoy the looks into your garden. So well designed. Thank you.

tj

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Ditto to all the comments before me!. Beautiful, wow, amazing, wonderful, lovely and spectaular. Thank you for sharing

Faye

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

WOW!!!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Amazing!

Seducer and LS Cindy Cee, definitely on my list. Wonderful to see your garden and now I see yours, I realize that I still have lots of room; DH will be thrilled! The problem that I would have, is where to put them during the winter...

What is the yellow hosta peeking out behind the boxwood (I think) in pic 5 and then in full view in pic 6?

I look forward to seeing more photos of your hostas.

Paula

This post was edited by paula_b_gardener on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 0:50

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Oh, and the one in front of Arc de Triomphe with the yellow and blue/green leaves, what is it? Autumn Frost?
    Thanks

• sidney1515
    10 years ago

BREATH TAKING. . .absolutely breath taking. . .

• bkay2000
    8 years ago

A thread worth another look.

bk

• mbug_gw
    8 years ago

Thanks BK.....speechless!!!

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks, BK, UK's garden is always a winner. Don't want to lose track of his hosta pictures.

Did he make the move to HOUZZ with the forum?

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

He is an inspiration to me, especially now that all of my hostas are in pots for this year due to our move. I would love to see an update.

• ukhostaman
    8 years ago

Updated and a lot bigger!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    8 years ago

UK, some people have green thumbs; you are the Jolly Green Giant!!!

• dg
    8 years ago

Thanks for bringing this post back bkay!
    Got so excited when I saw a 'fresh' pic from 'thekennels' (formerly known as uk-hostaman).
    My computer shows the pic sideways, but well worth a sideways look :-)

UK, did you take down the walls of vines? Yes, it sure does look a lot bigger!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    8 years ago

Kennells- (still UK man in my head)

Oh, my how they have grown! I wanna see more!

-Babka

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    8 years ago

Wow! Looks great! I would love to see an updated pic of your Lakeside Cindy Cee.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

It's nice to see you back and to see how well everything's doing. It shows how gardens are always transforming.

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

UK, wow, just breath taking. Everything looks so lush and healthy.

• beverlymnz4
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update UK.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

uk - thank you for the updated pic! I have read everything that you have written with regards to medium and fertilizer. Last year I planted a few new hostas in pots and they didn't do that well; they have come back but their growth isn't as much as I expected. This year I had to pot up all of my hostas to move and I replicated your methods as best as I could. Any updated tips?

• plantnutz
    8 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous!

• timhensley
    8 years ago

Lakeside Cindy Cee is spectacular.

• frugaljon z8 UK
    8 years ago

UK, your allotment plot looks great and looks like you have really put some hours in there. Long waiting lists for one in my area.

what are your plans for it?

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    8 years ago

That's what you've been up to. You've been working really hard. That lot is beautiful, and, of course, well-tended.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Uk - well done! Your allotment looks wonderful. I am trying a veggie garden for the first time this year and I have put in raised beds as well. It is a lot of work but all of the prep work is only done once (building beds and filling them) and then maintenance after that. Due to the move plus having all of my hostas in pots and I am not putting them in beds until next year, I had to do something!

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    8 years ago

Do you still use slow release fertilizer and bone meal? Sphagnum moss is different then Irish Peat? Sorry, but I am just checking in case there is some terminology differences :)

• jajoana
    8 years ago

uk-hostaman, your garden has been an inspiration for me for two years. Thank you for sharing!

• queen_gardener
    8 years ago

stunning, gorgeous - loved looking at the pics and enjoying someone else's hard work! :-) thanks!

• hostatakeover swMO
    8 years ago

Uk, your Hostas are positvely gargantuan! What spectacular beauties and I too, now must have Lakeside Cindy Cee (although I have a few that you do and they look NOTHING like yours).

Thank you for sharing your garden with us. Can't get over how perfect your Hostas are.

• zkathy z7a NC
    8 years ago

You're a country squire now? Congratulations! Your hostas are so beautiful.

Kathy