Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Spill it! Who has 'Spilt Milk'?

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

I suppose it's an acquired taste, but I personally love this one. Let's see yours. Doesn't have to be from this season, maybe yours are still just pips so far. Any pic'll do.

Thanks!
Don B.

Comments (30)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty groovy

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Groovingly groovy! That one is on my list.

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Still emerging here...but a leaf from a few years ago.

Paul

• thisismelissa
    9 years ago

I've had it for 7 years. It's quite interesting. Mine is dwindling though.... will have to investigate why.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Mine is dwindling too, so will check on it. 'Elvis Lives' next to it lives very well. TJ here in this forum showed a big one, so he must know how to grow it well.
    Bernd

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

This is one I just can't warm up to. Though I saw a nice one last week and thought "So this is what people see in it"

Don and Paul: Yours look very nice.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Mine lasted for about 4 years but never thrived. The milk part began to disappear. Didn't get another one.

-Babka

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I remember when I had to have Spilt Milk and was so excited to get one. I have it in a part of the garden that still needs a lot of maintenance.

Here it is last year:

It's still unfurling right now. It seems to be sporting or something. I've never seen this much white on it:

Gesila

• Lee
    9 years ago

Mine was dwindling too so I dug and replanted last year, this was pic from last year

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I had bought Spilt Milk in 2007 and it was growing quite happily for almost four years. In the late summer of 2010, my ex got a bug up his butt and wanted to tear down the garage and build a new one, so I had to move all of my plants, including SM. Ever since then SM pouted and shrunk in size until this spring when it finally gave up on life. I'd like to give it a try again, but if I do it would have to be planted somewhere permanently.

Karen

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Just coming up here, but in 2012 it looked like this:

tj

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TJ, that looks kinda big.

Wow!
    Don B.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Not real big, about 4 feet or so in diameter. It'd be bigger if I stopped cutting eyes out to give away. ;-)

tj

• Gesila
    9 years ago

TJ, that picture belongs in a magazine. It's spectacular!

Gesila

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Tj, now THAT'S a Spilt Milk! gorgeous! Hold on - I started at the last post then saw the rest! Whoa! I've never seen so many lovelies. I didn't see as many when I posted my new one last year. They are so lovely! And so much "milk" streaking going on. I'm in awe and a wee bit envious, forgive me!

I lost mine to rot over the winter. Perplexing - it was still in the same pot as when I bought it. Definitely one that I will replace. :-). Glad you posted a thread, Don. SM is like a sleeper movie perhaps? One day it just strikes you and you're a goner. Acquired taste? Yes, acquire it and you will love it :-)

Jo

• mary52zn8tx
    9 years ago

Here is mine from a couple of years ago. I had to move it last summer because the tree above it dropped some branches. It is doing better this year, but it isn't as big now as it was in this picture.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Thanks you guys. Framed in those conifers like it is, its one of my favorite pix...so I post it pretty often. ;-)

tj

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

I'm really enjoying all of your SM pics! I used to have it, but I'm going to guess it is MIA now. I tried to look around in pouring rain earlier to see if I could locate it, but no such luck.

9 years ago

Hey! I can play! I just picked it up today, so here it is to replace the one I lost. Lots of visible spillage on this one. Colour me happy!

Jo

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

deleted

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Pistache

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, May 19, 14 at 18:10

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Last years picture. The pips are showing here in upstate NY. This was new from a local nursery in Plattsburgh.

9 years ago

Paul, am I reading something in your post, like . . . mine might be Pistache? It looks a bit like it...or am I out to lunch? Lol

Jo

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Jo, I deleted my post after looking closer at pics of Spilt Milk and Pistache....both have a solid border.....at first glance I was wondering whether yours was Pistache.....but I was undecided. Pistache is a sport of Spilt Milk.....so...

Paul

9 years ago

I just have to trust that Hosta Fever sold me what I wanted :-)
    Let's hope I don't lose this one.

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

There are a lot of them in my local nursery that have lost all of their "milk",so they are selling them now as Hosta Dairy Free! Phil

9 years ago

Thanks for the chuckle, Phil! :-)

• User
    9 years ago

TJ's presentation of Spilt Milk makes it perfect. Look at the loving care of every plant surrounding it. Now THAT is a great garden!

Personally, I do not warm up to Spilt Milk. As close as I come is London Fog, which has the white misty streaks on its rather pointy leaves. Mine is doing fine this year, by the way.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

and to think the breeder almost threw it out...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was going to whine that mine was dead.. or near dead..

then i recalled that the junkster brought a huge chunk ...

but i planted it out in the conifer nursery and forgot all about it ...

it will be potted soon ...

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Ken, I was hoping to see how that one was doing for you.

tj

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company