Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spill it! Who has 'Spilt Milk'?

Posted by Don_in_Colorado 6a (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 6:17

I suppose it's an acquired taste, but I personally love this one. Let's see yours. Doesn't have to be from this season, maybe yours are still just pips so far. Any pic'll do.

Thanks!
Don B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spill it! Who has 'Spilt Milk'?

Pretty groovy

o

Groovingly groovy! That one is on my list.

o

Still emerging here...but a leaf from a few years ago.

Paul

o

I've had it for 7 years. It's quite interesting. Mine is dwindling though.... will have to investigate why.

o

Mine is dwindling too, so will check on it. 'Elvis Lives' next to it lives very well. TJ here in this forum showed a big one, so he must know how to grow it well.
Bernd

o

This is one I just can't warm up to. Though I saw a nice one last week and thought "So this is what people see in it"

Don and Paul: Yours look very nice.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Wed, May 14, 14 at 12:06

Mine lasted for about 4 years but never thrived. The milk part began to disappear. Didn't get another one.

-Babka

o

I remember when I had to have Spilt Milk and was so excited to get one. I have it in a part of the garden that still needs a lot of maintenance.

Here it is last year:
 photo SpiltMilk20130615_zpsdc1e4be8.jpg

It's still unfurling right now. It seems to be sporting or something. I've never seen this much white on it:
Spilt Milk photo SpiltMilk20140514b_zps4b2b0d17.jpg
Spilt Milk photo SpiltMilk20140514a_zps808cb1f4.jpg

Gesila

o

Mine was dwindling too so I dug and replanted last year, this was pic from last year
Spilt Milk photo IMG_2170.jpg

o

I had bought Spilt Milk in 2007 and it was growing quite happily for almost four years. In the late summer of 2010, my ex got a bug up his butt and wanted to tear down the garage and build a new one, so I had to move all of my plants, including SM. Ever since then SM pouted and shrunk in size until this spring when it finally gave up on life. I'd like to give it a try again, but if I do it would have to be planted somewhere permanently.

Karen

o

Just coming up here, but in 2012 it looked like this:

photo Spilt.jpg

tj

o

TJ, that looks kinda big.

Wow!
Don B.

o

Not real big, about 4 feet or so in diameter. It'd be bigger if I stopped cutting eyes out to give away. ;-)

tj

o

TJ, that picture belongs in a magazine. It's spectacular!

Gesila

o

Tj, now THAT'S a Spilt Milk! gorgeous! Hold on - I started at the last post then saw the rest! Whoa! I've never seen so many lovelies. I didn't see as many when I posted my new one last year. They are so lovely! And so much "milk" streaking going on. I'm in awe and a wee bit envious, forgive me!

I lost mine to rot over the winter. Perplexing - it was still in the same pot as when I bought it. Definitely one that I will replace. :-). Glad you posted a thread, Don. SM is like a sleeper movie perhaps? One day it just strikes you and you're a goner. Acquired taste? Yes, acquire it and you will love it :-)

Jo

o

Here is mine from a couple of years ago. I had to move it last summer because the tree above it dropped some branches. It is doing better this year, but it isn't as big now as it was in this picture.

o

Thanks you guys. Framed in those conifers like it is, its one of my favorite pix...so I post it pretty often. ;-)

tj

o

I'm really enjoying all of your SM pics! I used to have it, but I'm going to guess it is MIA now. I tried to look around in pouring rain earlier to see if I could locate it, but no such luck.

o

Hey! I can play! I just picked it up today, so here it is to replace the one I lost. Lots of visible spillage on this one. Colour me happy!

Jo

o

deleted

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Pistache

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, May 19, 14 at 18:10

o

Last years picture. The pips are showing here in upstate NY. This was new from a local nursery in Plattsburgh.

o

Paul, am I reading something in your post, like . . . mine might be Pistache? It looks a bit like it...or am I out to lunch? Lol

Jo

o

Jo, I deleted my post after looking closer at pics of Spilt Milk and Pistache....both have a solid border.....at first glance I was wondering whether yours was Pistache.....but I was undecided. Pistache is a sport of Spilt Milk.....so...

Paul

o

I just have to trust that Hosta Fever sold me what I wanted :-)
Let's hope I don't lose this one.

o

There are a lot of them in my local nursery that have lost all of their "milk",so they are selling them now as Hosta Dairy Free! Phil

o

Thanks for the chuckle, Phil! :-)

o

TJ's presentation of Spilt Milk makes it perfect. Look at the loving care of every plant surrounding it. Now THAT is a great garden!

Personally, I do not warm up to Spilt Milk. As close as I come is London Fog, which has the white misty streaks on its rather pointy leaves. Mine is doing fine this year, by the way.

o

and to think the breeder almost threw it out...

o

i was going to whine that mine was dead.. or near dead..

then i recalled that the junkster brought a huge chunk ...

but i planted it out in the conifer nursery and forgot all about it ...

it will be potted soon ...

ken

o

Ken, I was hoping to see how that one was doing for you.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here