Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandys_garden

Praying Hands a good hosta to add?

brandys_garden
10 years ago

I was at Home Depot and I was looking at their hostas. They have one that caught my eye and looks very unique... Something I like. I like all of my hostas to look completely different and unique. It is called Praying Hands. Yes, I looked it up and this one is named correctly.

Anyone tell me about it and their experiences? Is it a good one to add?

Comments (13)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I bought one last year. My garden is under pines and it is growing but slowly. I've seen them in pots and think they look better in a pot. If mine doesn't like it where it is, I think I'll move mine to a pot.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Praying Hands seems to be a decent grower. Pic below is from a garden tour in 2010 - when PH was still pretty new. I've seen a couple since that were similarly filled out. With water will take some sun (zone 4 experiences).

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Sun, May 5, 13 at 9:34

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

All the PH I've seen have been upright growers, I didn't realize they spread out like that. All the ones I've seen have been in containers, maybe that's what keeps it upright? I like it spreading out like that one.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Agree with marric - buy it and put it in a pot. For some reason Praying Hands always looks better in a pot. Bought one last year and it's just starting to show now but here is last year's pic.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Mine is small and slow. If it dies I might replace it, but I would search for a really big one, and put it in a pot like many here have suggested. It was named Hosta of the Year by the American Hosta Society in 2011 (?), and I think some growers wondered why it was chosen. But it certainly is unusual and easy to identify.
    Jan

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it will be in a pot. All of mine are. They got it right then. They said this one does best in a pot and that it tolerates a little more sun than others. But no afternoon sun if possible of course. Which is just perfect for my patio.
    I think I'll put it where the mushroom statue is now and put the mushroom over in the corner shelf with the sitting fairy (above my fire island) You can't see it in this pic though. Yes. I think it'll look great there! Oh forgive the mess, we just had about 48hrs straight of rain and I haven't had a chance to clean up!

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have one,but it is pathetic. How it ever got named hosta of the year,is a mystery to me. If mine died,I would not replace it. Phil

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Hello everyone, it has been a long time but it is good to be back after this long, insufferable winter. I have a Praying Hands and this picture is from last year as so far this year only the eyes on my hostas are just coming through.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i see you still havent lifted your blue mouse ears higher in the pot .. how come??

PH is one of the most unique hosta out there.. get it ...

ken

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Phil you just seem to not like a lot of hostas lol!! And Ken I appreciate it but the BME's is completely fine and thriving. It has more than enough soil and light for right now thank you.

I'll let you guys know if I get it or what I get if I decide not to on this one for some reason, like something else catches my eye!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Ken,

Are you thinking that with the foliage of BME below the top of the pot the airflow is minimized and that this could cause problems?

ConnieMay

• brandys_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK lay off. It the BME is fine. Does it look unhealthy or problematic to you like it's compromised in any way? No it doesn't and it isn't. I was told to do it like that by the grower. It has thrived since so lay off please. If I wanted your opinion on it or if it were having difficulties I would ask for your suggestions but it clearly is not. Please just stick to the subject.

It's my plant and its doing great and that is the important thing. Thank you!

• hostafrenzy
    10 years ago

Really unique hosta, good grower for me.