Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collectors; don't waste your time

Posted by jonnyb023 6a SE MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 7:14

Here are some (most) of the seedlings that have popped up here and there.

photo 2014-05-14001016_zps5c600429.jpg

The yellow glow is a reflection or I'm really on to something. Gotta love this

Seedling photo 2014-05-14001009_zps81ab75c6.jpg

Gonna be a big one. Showing Elegans lineage, I'm sure.

Seedling photo 2014-05-14001008_zps65c70324.jpg

Each one has a personality of its own.

Blue and Green Seedlings photo 2014-05-14001007_zpsb55b0f58.jpg

Not always just green. A nice contrast for this roadside pair. New ones keep popping up and I find them fascinating. They are not the stuff that makes propagators drool, but watching Nature create new variations is a lot of fun for me.

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Thu, May 15, 14 at 12:23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collectors; don't waste your time

I found a few last fall and was ecstatic! They lived all winter and at last count there are 7 tiny babies. Just interesting that they pop up and didn't get weeded out. Fun for me too Jon

o

Always fun finding these little treasures. Enjoy them.

o

I have lots of yellow and blue seedlings. Plus, kukutii grows true from seed, and that little baby has seedlings all over my hosta bed, LOL.

Your seedlings are nice, Jon.

o

Lavender, Thanks, but, get those pictures up here. What in the world is kukutii. Google couldn't find it except in some Indonesian phrases???

Jon

o

Jon, kikutii is a species of hosta. See the link below. It is absolutely POURING rain here right now so no ability to take seedling pics at the moment, LOL. Later.....I do have one yellow seedling that I pulled from the gravel pathway in a greenhouse at a nursery I shopped at many years ago. I asked permission before I plucked it up. I think I have a pic of it on my phone so I will look and post it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: kikutii (Hosta Library)

o

Thanks, new one on me.

o

Jon, Those are cool seedlings. Definitely keepers!

I got a kikutii as a gift plant from Wade and Gatton several years ago. Here is a pic in my garden. Took me a while to figure out what it was.

o

Nice display of flowers. Thanks HH.

o

HH - do you find that your kikutii has babies all over the hosta bed? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here