Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valtorrez

Please id

valtorrez
9 years ago

Tag said wide brim but it does not look like any wide brims on this site. I have had it for 4 years in full sun.

Comments (15)

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I loss tag to this one

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Reminds me of So Sweet and Great Expectations.
    Vanessa

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went an looked at some pics of So Sweet and it does look like it. What I am finding is that a lot of hostas I purchased at big box stores are mislabeled. These are hostas I purchased when I first got my house 6 years ago. Now that I am really into hostas I now research before I buy them.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Ditto on Vanessa's I.D.! Have both beauties too. :-)

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

When I was first trying to id my hostas I thought I had So Sweet. Now I'm pretty sure I have five Undulata Albomarginatas. They are pretty, workhorse hostas.
    Kathy

• User
    9 years ago

Well there you go, you have had success with the hosta, not knowing its name, and when you learn it is GREAT EXPECTATIONS, your luck changes and it goes to hail in a hand basket. That is what always happens to me anyway. I call it "Ignorance is bliss" factor.

Truly a lovely pair of hosta. A rose by any other name......

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think the first pic is Undulata my edges are gold not white. This plant is also almost becoming vase shaped. I have had it for several year and this is the prettiest year. If the second one is GE like everyone thinks then I must have the good ones. I have 2 more in my yard that r big. I've read on here they r hard to grow. Sometimes these plants r hard to idea because when u look them up. Everyone's look so different from each other's.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

the first is not undulata.. the green is wrong.. and the leaf shape and size also ..

i would call the second GE ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Valtorrez, Wait until it blooms to make a sure ID. It looks like So Sweet to me also. If it blooms with the fragrants (July/August), then you know for sure. It smells great - thus the name, So Sweet. This is not a great photo, but it will show you how the yellow edge turns to white/cream as the season progresses. U albomarginata has white edges from the start.

bk

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bkay mine looks like yours with somewhat wavy leaves and green edges. I am only concerned about name due wanting to purchase another one for a shadier area from local nursery. know lots of people here order online but I prefer to buy locally. I hate waiting for orders and I am uncomfortable trying to plant bare roots.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I don't have So Sweet, but the first one reminds me of Dark Star. I could be way off though.

• User
    9 years ago

ValTorres, I hear you about not waiting for the plant, and if you don't feel comfortable dealing with bare root hosta, you are the one knows what you want to do.

We all started picking up plants from a nursery, but sometimes you cannot get locally what you want. And that is where it is nice to know which nurseries you can rely on, bare root or not....because some places online sell potted hosta. Like the two I got from Plant Delights Nursery this week. TWO hosta. EACH came in its own box taller than an order of a dozen long stemmed roses! EACH PLANT came in a box like that! Wow, I'd sooner have the hosta in the box than the roses, if you know what I mean! But I will give you a picture of those two which came in pots, as an example. Except of course it isn't local unless you live near North Carolina. Some states also require nurseries to ship bare root, so if that is the case in your state, this nursery would not ship to your state.

I'll post this and then go find the pictures I took of the two. Must still be in the camera.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

So Sweet is common and easy to find. Get the one you want. It is a great performing plant.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

If I had the option to buy hosta locally, that would be my choice too. But only Lowes and Home Depot know about hosta, and I am careful when dealing with them for hosta.

• valtorrez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Instead of buying another So Sweet I purchased Rubies and Ruffles. I like the upright manner.