Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on Tequila Sunrise and Paradise Island

Posted by hostahosta Z6OH (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:32

I saw gorgeous specimens of these at a local nursery the other day. The foliage was unbelievably bright. I spotted them from a distance and was immediately drawn to them. I was tempted to buy, but also know that they are viridescent. Are they worth having? How long do they stay bright, and are they just ho hum when they turn green? I have Fire Island which greens up fairly early in the season for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on Tequila Sunrise and Paradise Island

I do not have Tequila Sunrise.
I do have Paradise Island, and here are the pictures in historical order.

2012May07 not long after it arrived here
Hosta 'Paradise Island' & Symbol

2012June24 It was changing color since I had it in the shade of a Japanese maple. If it were in a spot with morning light even in our higher zone number, it would have remained bright of leaf a bit longer anyway. In 2012, everything happened early, even the bloom is in June here.
Hosta12June349

2012Oct12 showing a new flush of growth comes in the bright leaf color even this late after a long hard growing season
IMG_20121012_083211.jpg

2013May24 now it is in the sun but I move it to shade in the afternoon to keep the leaves from bleaching out to parchment
DSCN7785

2013July29 turned green but with lighter midleaf, still pretty to me. It is sending up flower scapes in late July this year
DSCN9343

2013Aug12 blooming and turned color
IMG_20130812_141215

2013Sept18 through blooming, color stable
IMG_20130918_125922

2013Oct10 looking pretty good late in the season.
DSCN9776

2014Apr02 this spring fully leafed out by April
DSCN9574

Hope this helps you decide. It is a lovely plant.

o

Moccasin: thanks for the very nice series of pics showing the seasonal color changes. I'm not completely sold, but I do love the early season brightness. I'll see what else is in competition with it for me to buy when I revisit this nursery next week.

o

HH, 'Paradise Island' is a sure bet, IMO. Mine never got quite as dark green as Mocc's did...late in the season the edge still stood out against the lighter spring-greeny main color. And of course it steals the show all spring.

My husband likes it even more than 'Liberty,' but I think that just goes to show there's no accounting for taste. :)

Mocc, I love the Macaw inhabiting your Paradise Island...You are witty even in photos!

o

Jadie, thanks. The macaw is my way of remembering the hosta name. :)

When you mentioned that yours did not become as dark green as mine, I wanted to explain the circumstances of the leaf being so green.

At our latitude, we have more intense heat and very high humidity. Where you can in the more northerly places keep a hosta in a lot of sun, we have to make sure it is only morning sun maybe for a couple hours, and then shade, because afternoon sun is a killer to hosta. I have tried some of the golder leaves in more sun, and some of them end up parchment. With more shade, there is more green in the leaf. The lighter tones only stay lighter if they get more light. So you can put your Paradise Island in more hours of sunlight and it keeps the leaf lighter for a longer time. It happens to golds and to whites, greening out like that.

o

My Paradise Island was planted only last year and so I have not see it in its full glory yet. It was still only a baby last year. Now that it's up this year, it's a lovely yellow-green. I really look forward to seeing it bigger this year.

o

I have Tequila Sunrise and I like it. It has taken time for me to get it in the right spot. The first picture is where it lived for two or three years. It was half day sun in the ground. It always got slug eaten and ratty looking. I put it in a pot and planted Glorious in it's place. They have a similar look but Glorious grew much faster for me and was not prone to slugs. That is the second picture. I put the Tequila Sunrise in the pot up and in the shade. It was a beautiful feature last year in a very prominent spot. I figured I could move it if it got ratty. The last picture is to show the color in July and Aug. It does get more green but still stands out somewhat from the other plants in this area. If you can get a nice division, I'd do it.

Tequila Sunrise

Glorious 7-5-13 (9)

Tequila Sunrise 6-5-13 (37)

7-8-13 (54)

o

OK, thanks to all you enablers, I think I have been talked into both of them. Why not?

o

Paradise Island puts on quite a spring show!

photo ParadiseIsland20120407.jpg

Gesila

o

Ah, Gesila, it was YOUR PLANT that sold me on Paradise Island. Every leaf in that picture stands out individually. It continues to please me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here