Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinky Seedling

Posted by flowerchild59 z6b IL (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 7:43

I received this plant a few years ago from Stuart when I purchased seducer and a few others OS. It is a spectacular plant in the spring then a lot of the variegation fades as summer progresses. But I do enjoy it this time of year.
I hope I post this correctly from my smart phone to my computer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinky Seedling

Here is a pic of the whole plant. It is small to medium in size after 7 years. And I meant to say Stuart Asch. I love his plants. I still want to do a "fire and Asch" based themed hosta bed :-)

o

Flowerchild, VERY nice plant. Do you recall its name?
My Stuart Asch plants were also from him, when he had a "moving" sale on Hosta Library.

I have Stiff Upper Lip from him.
DSCN0042

Ruffian (small, sometimes has a little white on it)
DSCN0072

Bibb Lettuce is bright gold until it turns later in the spring. It had thin substance originally, but seems to be tougher now.
DSCN0018

Nathan's Nirvana looks a lot like Victory when I put them side by side.

o

i have pinky ... named after Pauline banyai .... her nickname .... its a plain green hosta.. with pinky type flowers ... bruce may or may not have given it to me.. or at least noticed it in my yard ...

i dont understand.. how a seedling .. from a green plant is viridescent ???? [is that the right word???]

or is stuart playing with our heads ...???

ken

o

It was listed as Pinky seedling OS when I received it. It is very sturdy, I don't have any problems with it. The variegation fades slightly through the season.
Sadly, I don't think my seducer or made you look made it through the winter, but I still have some late risers emerging. Otherwise, things are coming alive here in southern Illinois.

o

Sorry, I misunderstood, you said it right up front!

Too bad you lost Seducer. You are a Stuart Asch fan and so am I. My plant looks pretty good so far, but it came up a bit late. Are you sure yours won't make it?

I think I have a picture to contribute here.
DSCN9875 (2)

o

I have not seen any Pinky seedlings variegated, but that would not preclude it from happening.

Again a bit of hosta trivia; Mom had the Pinky nickname only among our family, which a few hosta people picked up on. This seedling has somewhat pink flowers which she liked but never did much with while she was alive. It can be a vigorous grower at times and I did give it to you, Ken.

Stuart was a good friend of our family while Mom was alive - great hosta hybridizer.

Bruce

o

Spectacular its right! Very impressive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here