Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Lakeside Black Satin--What's the deal...

jimr66
9 years ago

Here is my Lakeside B.S. (I think the shortened version of the name may be more appropriate.....)

This is 2nd time I've tried this plant the first one succumbed to crown rot last spring.

I saw a relatively mature one at Gardens Plus a few years ago and was impressed with the actual black undertones in the leaf.

everything else in this garden is rockin' I think it actually shrank (it was a very small division) and it's barely moved since april.

Is this one of those "tricky hostas"?

If anyone has experience with this plant I would be glad for any insights.

Cheers, James

Comments (17)

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Wow, that one has been on my wish list but I will now reserve judgement until the pros on this forum chime in.

By the way, loving your other pictures, posts, and gardens. Great job James!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I have a ton of hostas in pots that look like that, they're all in pots.

James, if yours isn't in a pot, my guess that it's planted too deep and/or sitting where water doesn't drain well.

Maybe Ken will chime in and give his 2 cents.

Gesila

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its a piece of carp hosta.. get rid of it .. lol ...

it only looks dark in Mg rich soil.. like mary had in TN ...

some suggested epsom salts ... but i was always leery of salting the earth around my plants ...

it eventually died ...

it looks cold damaged.. beyond Gs suggestion ... dig it up.. and insure its not too deep ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

I had one which looks about like yours. Ever since 2012, I kept hoping it would do better. Last year I bought the second one, from a different source. I waited for it to do something last year, but it did not.

So this spring I was not hopeful either one would be around long. I did not bother to look for #2, and when I ran across it looking really pretty, I rejoiced.

Mine are both in pots. No. 1 is still like the piece of carp Ken describes. But #2 is really a honey. I am afraid to do anything to it, or even move it. Right now it has a scape growing. The plant is dark, satiny shiny, symmetrical, and it has a scape growing.

I'm very pleased with it now. But #1 is about to be flushed down the drain.

May 13, 2014

Incidentally, I got this one from Green Mountain

• Gesila
    9 years ago

The key to the success of Lakeside Black Satin is to put in full sun, in poor soil, and to neglect it.

That's what I did with mine. I got it in late June of 2013 from Mason Hollow and it's in full sun where the water mister doesn't give it water. It wasn't watered, fertilized, or even have a picture taken last year. I still don't have this section of the garden done.

Here it is, sitting out in the sun all by itself in the weeds:

So, I think my first thoughts were correct, too much moisture and planted too deep.

Gesila

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses.
    I know it is not planted to deep. I made sure the root plate is just barely (say 1-2mm )under the soil (which is well drained),

it is however in one of the shadiest spots in the garden...

.I will move it to my mini garden for now (which it is pretty much anyways now)
    Lots of morning sun, and see how it does there.

Thank you for all the help
    James

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Gesila, I wonder if yours is LS Black Satin......form, color, and leaf seem off. Looking for heart-shaped leaves, cupping downward and darker color.

Paul

• Gesila
    9 years ago

You know Paul, I was thinking that it looked a lot like another one of my dark hostas, maybe Lakeside Coal Miner. I know for sure it came from Mason Hollow as it's planted in the sun with all the other ones I ordered from them at the same time.

I'll have to look into this one. Thanks!

Gesila

This post was edited by Gesila on Thu, May 29, 14 at 19:43

• User
    9 years ago

I wondered about yours just now as I saw it Gesila. Mine came from GreenMt, in VT, last year also in June.

I found the picture of it with the scape. It is ready to shoot up, but don't know how high it gets since it hasn't bloomed before.
    See that twist on the leaf tip? One reason I started the thread about "ventricosa family" was everything in my garden is getting to look like a VENTRICOSA. Even this one! So I must do some research.

Anyway, here is the picture with the short scape coming up.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

moccasin, yours is perfect! paul yours is great, too. Mine looks like jim's :(

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yeah, Gesila, Lakeside Coal Miner...That's a good one. I had mine in a ton of shade, just moved it to a good amount of sun about a week ago, and boom! It's appreciating it already.

Don B.

• Eleven
    9 years ago

Mine started out tiny and has been a slow grower. It seems strong enough, just very slow. Will try and get a pic this weekend. Paul and mocc, both of yours look nice! Thinking I might move mine to less shade this year.

• User
    9 years ago

Before this thread rolls away, I wanted to point out that Lakeside Black Satin is from the VENTRICOSA line of hosta. Very dominant, has that cupie doll flip of the leaf tip. And dark of leaf.
    That family of hosta seems to in general do well here.

Like Don says, a good amount of sun is desired.
    Maybe my issues with it in prior years was too much shade.
    Before the other LSBS dies, I'll move it to more sun as well.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

I will move mine to more sun as well, I might as well try that. It just seems against what I naturally think - darker plants should stay in more shade.

• User
    9 years ago

PaulaB, I've had to fight that too. It seems backwards. Of course, I put the golds in more light. The white leaf areas want more light. And that leaves the dark ones for shade, right? Only.....not so much.

While I have a chance, I'll put another picture in the thread with the scape having grown a bit taller. I guess 10 or so inches of rain is fueling a lot of growth in all the hosta.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

The plant I put in much more sun than it was in before was LS Coal Miner, and that's what I wrote. I was referring to the one in Gesila's pic, which is a LS Coal Miner, NOT a Lakeside Black Satin. Don't know nuthin' bout no Lakeside Black Satin, I don't own one, never have. It was mistakenly implied that I suggested MORE SUN for someone's Lakeside Black Satin. That was Lakeside Coal Miner, which I do own, have put it in more sun, and it's growing nicely with no burn. So far.

I was recommending more sun for Lakeside Coal Miner. Just didn't want anyone siting their LS Black Satins in a bunch of direct sunlight on my recommendation...I will yell...I NEVER MADE THAT RECOMMENDATION...sorry for yelling...Anyway, have a great day! : )

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 3:38

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Don, if it makes you feel better, I was going by what moccasin said and hers looks great. Mine isn't growing and it is planted in the deeper shade; it is dying anyway so I might as well try something new to see if it makes a difference.

" a good amount of sun is desired.
    Maybe my issues with it in prior years was too much shade.
    Before the other LSBS dies, I'll move it to more sun as well."