Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostales

You Know You're Hostaholic When?

hostaLes
11 years ago

Looking over the resposes to my Dark Side post, I noticed something that I'd absent mindedly done: I'd emphasized The Dark Side using 'The Dark Side' instead of "The Dark Side". That makes my posting a cultivar?

Then I started thinking about how much hosta gardening has impacted my life- it is scary! But nice!

What makes YOU think exposes someone as hostaholic?

If this has been done before, I missed it!

Les

Comments (20)

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I gave my daughter Sharon a H. 'Simply Sharon' as a birthday present; knowing she is NOT a gardener (afraid of worms) AND I don't have Simply Sharon in my collection.

Les

• franknjim
    11 years ago

I don't think you missed it last year unless some other hostaholic hacked your account and posted using your name. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 Ten Signs You're a Hostaholic

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Oh no. A hostaholic with a bad memory! This can't be good.

It will be the hosta version of '50 First Dates'

Monday: 'Hi honey' says Les bursting through door carrying hosta 'I just found this great hosta at the gardencenter called 'Sum and Substance'

Tuesday: 'Hi honey', says Les bursting through door carrying hosta 'I just found this great hosta at the garden center called 'Sum and Substance'

Wednesday: 'Hi honey.....

Christine

• Tim
    11 years ago

Visiting this forum more than once a day could be a clue. :-)

• Cindy
    11 years ago

....when you start taking care of your neighbors hostas because they aren't doing it right.
    ....when you know the names of your hostas better than the names of your co-workers.

• User
    11 years ago

Guess I qualify because I gave hosta for the D-I-L --no reason-- except one hosta was named Steffi, our granddaughter's name, and then On Stage, Hollywood Lights, All That Jazz, and threw in Rhino Hide and Sagae (because I wanted them myself), but thought hubby's son would appreciate something big and masculine looking. They all arrived in NH before the last spate of frost dates, and now I have to wait for the family to return from a trip to visit the granddaughter, before I can learn their condition in the ground.

But every morning here, I go out with my coffee cup and camera and see how the 'kids' look in the early morning sun.
    My DH asked me the other day, "What is it about hosta that you find so different from all the other plants you've grown over the years?" I just looked at him. Ummmm, what would you have said? Guess I'll create that as a separate thread.

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christine =- My memory must have gone the way of my left knee and they forgot to repair it.

Oh-by the way Christine-I just found this great hosta at the garden center called 'Sum & Substance'.

Les
    ps: At least buying 'Simply Sharon' for Sharon was original. lolams

• coll_123
    11 years ago

This is crazy, but last night I woke up at 4 am and couldn't get back to sleep. Instead of counting sheep, I laid there and mentally counted the hosta in my garden. It worked!

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Last summer I was in a serious car crash, a roll over at about 80 mph on Interstate 81 just north of Harrisburg. I wasn't physically hurt. I was released after spending one night in the Hospital for observation. But I had trouble sleeping. Visualizing the Hosta in my garden and naming them off, just took the crash out of my mind and allowed me to sleep. I usually couldn't make it through one bed before I was sleeping. Now I sleep just fine, and I'd forgotten that I had done that until coll_123 mentioned it.

Steve

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You decorate your cast with hostas

• chris-e
    11 years ago

That is Be-u-ti-ful!

You know when you dig up all the iris the previous owner left because they are to "messy" and you plant hosta there instead.

chris

• hostaLes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Chris

Les

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Nice artwork. If you need to be in a cast, it may as well look like that.

tj

• donrawson
    11 years ago

Here's another humorous posting: You know you've been gardening too long when...

• irawon
    11 years ago

You know your a hostaholic when you leave the hostas in your trunk until you can sneak them past your DH to your hosta hiding place.

Yes I've counted hostas to get back to sleep BUT have you ever counted them backwards by threes???

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

1. I have no more space in the shade, yet order 15 more hostas.

2. Even other gardeners' eyes glaze over when I start going on about hostas or bring out the hosta photos.

3. I think most people's hostas are boring because they're the "green ones with the white edges."

4. I'm tempted to call the ASPCH (American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Hostas) when I see hostas limp on the ground in other people's yards in need of water.

Deanna

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Speaking of the "green ones with the white edges," I thought we were getting the forum picture changed?

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Les, you win! You broke your own leg so you could draw a hosta on it!

Gardenfanatic, I hope it is Liberty!

• chris-e
    11 years ago

I do know the difference between to and too. But I am a bad typist and I forget to proof.

chris

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio