Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

Hosta of the Year 2017? Your Choice...

jimr66
9 years ago

Now that Victory has been Picked for 2015, and Curly Fries for 2016, what would you choose for 2017 if you were the Grand Supreme Leader of the Hosta Universe.

My pick would be "Atlantis"

Why?

1. Very Vigorous
2. Can take a wide variety of conditions. (sunpower heritage)
3. Mature plants are Gorgeous.

What would your choice be? and why.

James

Comments (20)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I would certainly vote for Atlantis! You probably saw my post,earlier of my Atlantis,but mine grows entirely different than yours. Mine is really tall with huge leaves,and very few eyes. Siting is the difference. Mine grows in a woodland garden,and your looks to be more in the sun. Phil

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

At this moment it would have to be Neptune. I can't walk by this plant without taking a picture.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

lancifolia ...

Almost everybody already has it, so we can save $$ for a new plant we'd like to buy!

_~

dkB

• User
    9 years ago

I have Neptune and agree with Myrle. I got it last June, as a bonus from Hallsons. It hasn't had a bad moment since then. I took an evening shot without the flash to see if the white backs shine, and they show up. I hope mine turns out as lovely as yours, McTavish. Love its waves

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Hosta freak this isn't my plant I took this picture at Goldenbrook Hosta Farm Last Summer.

Mine is much smaller, although in 1 season it went from this (pic taken just after purchase)

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To this....

Neptune also looks awesome, Decisions, decisions.......

Cheers
    J

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Neptune would get my vote too...if we could vote. The color is a soft blue green, the leaves are recognizable from a distance. I've been trying to get a photo of that fabulous color that I see with my eyes, but I cannot pick up with my camera, even at twilight. McTavish...you nailed it! (as usual) Love your photos.

Although we cannot vote for the HOTYs, we can vote (as AHS members) for the top 25 each year.

-Babka

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

LOL, 2014 just began and you want to look 3 years ahead. In 2016 we have another presidential election. 2017 is too far out for me to suggest and imagine anything, though h. 'Atlantis' is a winner also in my garden, as is also its lookalike h. 'Abba Dabba Wow'.
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Well, Bernd, you dropped the names, now drop the pictures on us? If you please. And while you're at it, how is your grandson's Empress Wu doing?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I'd easily vote for 'Atlantis'.....for President of the United States!

And 'Atlantis' would be nice for HOTY too, I guess...But SHOOT, there is already a winner for 2016...so what the heck...

Don B.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Atlantis is gorgeous, but it looks a little like like Victory, this year's HOTY. I don't know how Dancing Queen does in other parts of the country, but it certainly shines here.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

I got Atlantis this year, but was accidentally sent a yellow sport of Atlantis, instead!

They are sending the real Atlantis next week :)

My choice for HOTY would have to be Luna Moth

She is just amazing!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

HOTY is not a serious award. It's a marketing gimmick. Plants have to be widely available for $15 or less. The Benedict Medal is at least an attempt to find a Hosta that performs in the garden across different zones and growing conditions.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I am not sure but it would be between Irish Luck or Neptune if I had a choice

This post was edited by almosthooked on Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:44

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Then again Neptune is a great one too

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I totally agree with you, Steve. The Benedict Award is the real deal. But I have to say, even the HOTY award has included a lot of good ones, marketing gimmick or not. There are a couple/few glaring exceptions to this LOL, but overall, not too bad.

NOT to be compared to the Benedict accolades though, because if you get enough hostas ready for market (volume) of course you can knock that price down to within 15 bucks. Which is why (in my opinion) they, being the Hosta Growers Association (correct title?) have the winners of HOTY 2 to 3 years in advance. They gotta get that hosta machine going to meet the demand. I see the scheme from a mile away. Some great plants in the HOTY category, nonetheless.

Could be worse, though. If the Supreme Leader of the Hosta Universe were Dave/Bragu, we'd have Lancifolia for HOTY.

Isn't that why WWII was waged? So Lancifolia would never again raise it's lancy head for dictatorship of the hostas? (Just playin' Bragu) : )

Don B.

• jmcdmd
    8 years ago

"Key Lime Pie" has done extremely well for me. I don't have a picture, but check it out online. It's great.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Atlantis is great, but it looks too much like Victory to get my vote. How about Goodness Gracious? Flashy and fast growing - Mine is only three and will have to be moved to the back of the border next year.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    8 years ago

I think that there is a need for a green hosta to be included as HOTY, we all need greenies!

A few suggestions- Irish Luck, Devon Green, Clearfork River Valley and one that I only got last autumn and is coming up really strong is a small one , Teaspoon.

Denis