Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndnyz5

Near dead companion trees

in ny zone5
9 years ago

In my hosta beds I have small trees for shade or attraction. Last winter was harsh and brought damage. I just replaced a redbud and a pink Kousa dogwood which seemed to be dead. They were absolutely needed there to provide shade. At $55 total from Lowe's that was a steal, the dogwood actually was blooming. I must state that the originals which I replaced were new last year and I had forgotten to tape the stems.

Other established trees are very late showing leaves or flowering. It seemed the winter had damaged the vascular system to the buds and that gets slowly reestablished by the plants.
I noticed a seemingly dead large single stem azalea, wanted to cut it down, but it must have read my thoughts, suddenly had small leaves all over. A 'Forest Pansy' redbud has little leaves coming out of buds which seem to not progress, might be a goner. One Kousa dogwood is very late in progressing. Then I have a lot of dead foliage on rhododendrons. A local MacDonalds has a lot of yellow foliage on conifers.

The best to do is waiting it out, but that might become a problem when you need the shade very soon as the very hot days will be here in the next weeks.

How are yours doing?
Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Sat, May 24, 14 at 19:16

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner