Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing smalls please.

Posted by ConnieMay 6a(CAN) (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 7:58

I am looking for advice on the following varieties: Trifecta, Fantasy Island, Tropical Storm & Little Sunspot. The nurseries don't tend to get a lot of the smaller varieties (or they sell out quickly) but I have found these ones. Are they all fantastic and I should have all four?

I have Maui Buttercups and Rainforest Sunrise - so I thought Tropical Storm would be a good addition to make it a trio. My only issue is that I think I got the only plant that did not have some eyes that were reverting to all chartreuse. Is TS not stable?

Trifecta has beautiful leaves. Judging by some of the photos, it looks like it will get lighter as the season progresses. Does it look as good in your garden later in the season? If not, can I prevent it from changing colour by putting it in lower light?

Little Sunspot is the most vigorous in the pot, although all four are a nice size. It reminds me of Rainforest Sunrise but I think that it will be taller and have more green.

And finally, Fantasy Island... if you love this plant and I would be a fool not to have it, please tell me now. This is the one closest to being stroked off of the list.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Connie May

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing smalls please.

Of the 4,I have only grown Fantasy Island,and Little Sunspot. Little Sunspot is a vigorous grower and always looks cheerful. Fastasy Island grew well for awhile,but this year has almost disappeared. I would not recommend it. Just MHO,you understand. Phil,in NC.

o

Thank you hosta freak. Unless it looks as gorgeous as GE I'm not really interested in having to baby it.

Connie May

o

Connie,

I just bought and planted Fantasy Island, so I can't give you an opinion about it. I do have Tropical Storm and like it very much. Growth is good. Colors are beautiful. It's my favorite small Hosta.

Steve

o

I was looking at the list of nurseries which give the new member $15 off for joining American Hosta Society. One of them is in NH, and it is Mason Hollow. Check them out. I think I saw a good many of the small guys, which were out of stock in other places. One that I ordered was Little Jay PPAF. And then I also got White Dove (I call my house White Dove so it was a personal thing).

Some of their plants are also available in one- and two-gallon sizes.

o

I have no problem recommending 'Little Sunspot'. Great hosta. I planted 'Fantasy Island' last summer because I had heard it was an improvement on 'Island Charm'. I love IC and reserve my opinion on FI until it has unfurled and survived in my garden this year. Last year it was a slug magnet. This year I applied the ammonia drench and we will see the results, hopefully good.

I wish it were easier to post pictures on this website. I think there would be more forthcoming.

o

Ira, I'm going to put a link for you below. It is a free editor of pictures, even batch rename. Don't know about batch resize. I don't resize myself.

But, it's free and cheap at half the price. Highly recommended in many places.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irfanview

o

Here's 'Little Sunspot in my garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here