Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dinita_gw

Confirm "Blue Dimples"

Dinita
9 years ago

Hi there. I'm in my third year of developing my Hosta garden and I Love It! I would appreciate any help you can give me identifying the names of what I have so that I can catalog them. Thank you so much!!

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

could be.. a lot of the big blues look very similar...

where are you coming up with these names...??? ... WAGs ... or do you have a list... and trying to put a puzzle together ...

the latter would make it easy to confirm names.. the former... well ... its going to be hard to be sure.. with any certainty ...

have you been mail ordering.. or so you have some supreme local vendor:???

ken

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

That is a beautiful blue hosta but not blue dimples. My dimples is on the smaller side and if you look in the hosta library you will see its size and shape. I am not at home so can't post a pic.

• Dinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Ken and Flowerchild. When I bought the hosts the first year, I didn't keep the names when I planted them. Last year, I realized that I really loved them and wanted more but wanted to make sure that I wasn't buying the same ones. I found an old gentleman near me that has a hidden nursery with over 200 varieties of hosta and belongs to the Hosta Society. You can bet that I got carried away and became very fond of the old gentleman. He's extremely knowledgeable but getting quite frail with his age. I decided to start a log of the varieties that I was buying and put stakes with their names in the ground. When Hubby raked the leaves this fall, most of the stakes got lost or misplaced. I've hit the books and web trying to identify them, but it's quite difficult. This forum is a treasure to me. Thank you!!

• Dinita
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I posted the full view of the garden on another reply. Here's a different view from the back. I'm having a little trouble with the technical portion of using this forum but I'll get the hang of it. Thank you!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

I found an old gentleman near me that has a hidden nursery with over 200 varieties of hosta and belongs to the Hosta Society.

==>> then call him ... make an appointment ... bake him some cookies .... and take one leaf of each.. AND ASK HIM... but ONLY if you want definitive answers ...

we enjoy playing the game ... but we can never really be sure.. unless its a 10 foot rule plant ...

e.g. if he doesnt sell blue dimples.. then you/we are wrong .. etc

glad you found us.. it appears.. you enabled yourself ...

mail order is the next step ... we have favored vendors ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Dinita...What kept you? ; )

Don B.