Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emerald Ruff Cut is a Beauty!

Posted by hostabuff Zone 6a MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 8:10

I have owned this plant about six years. Emerald Ruff Cut is a good grower and draws in my garden visitors.

Emerald Ruff Cut
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emerald Ruff Cut is a Beauty!

Photobucket

I just wanted my 2011 baby 'Emerald Ruff Cut' to have a role-model. Thanks hh

Les

o
RE: Emerald Ruff Cut is a Beauty!-oops

Sorry hostabuff-an early morning brain hiccup calling you hh.

Your ERC is beautiful and I hope mine will give me as much pleasure as I am sure yours is giving you; and me having you share it with us.

Les

o

Beautiful hosta!

o

Oh wow. I think I need one.

Piecrust edges...AND...variegation...AND...corrugation...and...it looks in this photo like upright/vase. All in one.

Yes or no on the upright/vase?
Gayle

o

I love this hosta and can't wait for mine to grow up.
I think I'm going to take my computer outside and show yours to mine. Maybe it needs to know what it's supposed to look like!

o

Yeah, I think I need to show that picture to my ERC as well. I've been saying for years that ERC hates me. Mine always gets the ugly Spring desiccation. Beautiful specimen, hostabuff. Actually, I think I see some desiccation in your picture, too, but it still looks nice. Maybe I just have to accept that it comes with that?

o

Robyn, do you water yours heavily? I think I see drip irrigation hoses to the left of ERC.

I'm seeing an early drought pattern setting up here, with 97 due today and I have had less than 1" of rain in the past 20 days. I can't get home to water my hostas. ) :

Les

o

Gayle, I would not consider this a vase shaped hosta. We have had a lot of rain this spring and all my hosta are looking vase shaped right now.

Les, I do have some drip irrigation in the garden where Emerald Ruff Cut lives. However I am very stingy (or cheap) with the town water. I only water when they start wimping out - 2 to 3 times a year. I have a very dry lot and my hosta have a tendency to be smaller than those I have seen in other gardens.

o

its almost as good as my emerald island ...

get it??

ken

o

Ahh. Another look-a-like for the list.

o

• Posted by babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Sun, May 27, 12 at 13:02

Not just looks alike...IS alike. Here's what is written at the Hosta Library data base:

"A medium sized plant with cream, changing to bright gold centered, emerald green edged leaves.
Very bright colors early in the season with a reflush mid season, ruffled edges.
This is an old introduction of ours that originally carried the name H. 'Emerald Island' which conflicted with a registered name. We have renamed the plants and reintroduced it because so many customers have asked for it. The plant emerges with a beautiful gold color and an emerald green edge. As the season progresses the plant gets a bit ratty, but it reflushes later in the summer looking good into the Fall. It is a sport of Mildred Seaver's H. 'Sea Angel Wings' and has a ruffled edge at maturity. It looks best in the North where it holds its color through the season. "

I didn't know this anything about it when I saw it and had to have it no matter what the name.

-Babka

o

What a treat to have the mature plant and then a picture of the youngster close by to compare. It is a real beauty.

Hostabuff, seems like you have your greens all working together. I like the lacy evergreen planted to the right of it, and then the pink bloomer on the left. Quite gentle on the eyes.

o

drat.. cant get anything past babka.. lol ...

i had emerald island for at least 5 years ... and on the top of my DREAM LIST for another 5 years .... was emerald ruff cut.. but budget ran out ... this was pre-WWWeb days.. so all you had was descriptions in catalogs ... [i should probably say.. before the web had lots of hosta info]

then one day ... talking with one of my best hosta buddies.. he says.. why do you have ERC labeled EIsland ...

so that day.. for free ... i got a new hosta.. lol ..

ken

o

Beautiful ERC!
Unfortunately mine gets spring desiccation burn and looks ruff all season.

o

Mature vs. young! Look at the difference in vein count all you lurking newbies. This is one of the reasons the Hosta Forum is such a cool place to be.

Les

o

ooh seeing that immature pic of Emerald ruff cut I am wondering if one of my noid's is this! I got it about two years ago in a hosta swap with the wrong id- it said it was yellow river I think and it clearly is not. It does look really solid yellow but it is not, all the edges are dark green. This is last years pic it looks nicer this year

Photobucket

o

Now THAT"S what I like about Hosta!!!
They keep me off balance and constantly wondering and trying to remember what it looked like yesterday, and when did it get all those extra leaves, I just LOOKED at it in the morning, where did the other colors come from, and I counted only 6 pair of veins, so......

Yes yes, for certain I don't want a static garden. And that is what I told my DH when he asked what was it about HOSTA...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here