Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21887604

Emerald Ruff Cut is a Beauty!

User
11 years ago

I have owned this plant about six years. Emerald Ruff Cut is a good grower and draws in my garden visitors.

Emerald Ruff Cut

Comments (17)

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I just wanted my 2011 baby 'Emerald Ruff Cut' to have a role-model. Thanks hh

Les

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Sorry hostabuff-an early morning brain hiccup calling you hh.

Your ERC is beautiful and I hope mine will give me as much pleasure as I am sure yours is giving you; and me having you share it with us.

Les

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Beautiful hosta!

• gayle0000
    11 years ago

Oh wow. I think I need one.

Piecrust edges...AND...variegation...AND...corrugation...and...it looks in this photo like upright/vase. All in one.

Yes or no on the upright/vase?
    Gayle

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

I love this hosta and can't wait for mine to grow up.
    I think I'm going to take my computer outside and show yours to mine. Maybe it needs to know what it's supposed to look like!

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Yeah, I think I need to show that picture to my ERC as well. I've been saying for years that ERC hates me. Mine always gets the ugly Spring desiccation. Beautiful specimen, hostabuff. Actually, I think I see some desiccation in your picture, too, but it still looks nice. Maybe I just have to accept that it comes with that?

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Robyn, do you water yours heavily? I think I see drip irrigation hoses to the left of ERC.

I'm seeing an early drought pattern setting up here, with 97 due today and I have had less than 1" of rain in the past 20 days. I can't get home to water my hostas. ) :

Les

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gayle, I would not consider this a vase shaped hosta. We have had a lot of rain this spring and all my hosta are looking vase shaped right now.

Les, I do have some drip irrigation in the garden where Emerald Ruff Cut lives. However I am very stingy (or cheap) with the town water. I only water when they start wimping out - 2 to 3 times a year. I have a very dry lot and my hosta have a tendency to be smaller than those I have seen in other gardens.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its almost as good as my emerald island ...

get it??

ken

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh. Another look-a-like for the list.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Not just looks alike...IS alike. Here's what is written at the Hosta Library data base:

"A medium sized plant with cream, changing to bright gold centered, emerald green edged leaves.
    Very bright colors early in the season with a reflush mid season, ruffled edges.
    This is an old introduction of ours that originally carried the name H. 'Emerald Island' which conflicted with a registered name. We have renamed the plants and reintroduced it because so many customers have asked for it. The plant emerges with a beautiful gold color and an emerald green edge. As the season progresses the plant gets a bit ratty, but it reflushes later in the summer looking good into the Fall. It is a sport of Mildred Seaver's H. 'Sea Angel Wings' and has a ruffled edge at maturity. It looks best in the North where it holds its color through the season. "

I didn't know this anything about it when I saw it and had to have it no matter what the name.

-Babka

• User
    11 years ago

What a treat to have the mature plant and then a picture of the youngster close by to compare. It is a real beauty.

Hostabuff, seems like you have your greens all working together. I like the lacy evergreen planted to the right of it, and then the pink bloomer on the left. Quite gentle on the eyes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

drat.. cant get anything past babka.. lol ...

i had emerald island for at least 5 years ... and on the top of my DREAM LIST for another 5 years .... was emerald ruff cut.. but budget ran out ... this was pre-WWWeb days.. so all you had was descriptions in catalogs ... [i should probably say.. before the web had lots of hosta info]

then one day ... talking with one of my best hosta buddies.. he says.. why do you have ERC labeled EIsland ...

so that day.. for free ... i got a new hosta.. lol ..

ken

• hostadom
    11 years ago

Beautiful ERC!
    Unfortunately mine gets spring desiccation burn and looks ruff all season.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Mature vs. young! Look at the difference in vein count all you lurking newbies. This is one of the reasons the Hosta Forum is such a cool place to be.

Les

• alyciaadamo
    11 years ago

ooh seeing that immature pic of Emerald ruff cut I am wondering if one of my noid's is this! I got it about two years ago in a hosta swap with the wrong id- it said it was yellow river I think and it clearly is not. It does look really solid yellow but it is not, all the edges are dark green. This is last years pic it looks nicer this year

• User
    11 years ago

Now THAT"S what I like about Hosta!!!
    They keep me off balance and constantly wondering and trying to remember what it looked like yesterday, and when did it get all those extra leaves, I just LOOKED at it in the morning, where did the other colors come from, and I counted only 6 pair of veins, so......

Yes yes, for certain I don't want a static garden. And that is what I told my DH when he asked what was it about HOSTA...