Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimr66

what a difference in 2 weeks.

jimr66
9 years ago

Hi everyone. Here is my cherry tree raised bed from 2 weeks ago. Growth was very slow this spring until recently.

Comments (22)

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the same shot 1 week ago.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here is the same garden yesterday. We finally got a little heat (except for Sat., light frost early). I am quite happy everything is finally starting rock in the gardens!!
    Cheers
    James

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I Will post another pic next Thursday.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

what is the orange heuchie in the corner?

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure which one you mean exactly, but going clockwise from the bottom: Plum Pudding, Caramel, Fire Chief.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is aprox 4 weeks after the first photo. There has been some moves to keep everything balanced. It has been warm and sunny for the last week and everything has jumped a lot. It always amazes me in the spring how in 4-6 weeks those tiny bullets poking out of the ground turn into such large plants.
    Cheers
    James

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Real nice Jim; you are going to need more pavers when you expand that bed.

Jon

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Looks good! We had a very slow start here, too. I was getting nervous but things seems to be picking up the pace now.

• threedogsmom
    9 years ago

That is going to look nice and full! Nice use of other shade plants as well. Looking forward to the next week's installment of photos :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

And next year you won't see any dirt at all! Fun to watch the progression, like the old time-lapse photography from years ago. You have a delightful assortment of color and texture.

-Babka

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

That looks really good. Your photo inspired (enabled?) me to buy Fire Chief. Mine doesn't look as red as yours but I hope it will next year.

• User
    9 years ago

What is that really yellow one nearest the camera? It is really impressive.

Amazing to me that at this point the size of the heuchies is keeping pace with the hosta. And those fern under the tree are tall tall.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mocc the yellow one is "Eye Declare" Unfortunately it loses the yellow in another month or so.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

What a beautiful garden! Nice selection of hostas!

Gesila

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Nice hostas, neat and tidy edging with the pavers.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

It may have been a slow spring, but you're leaping into summer.

I envy you your luck with huecheras. Mine tend to last a season or two and disappear. Melting Fire looked so good last year, and it didn't come back. Midnight Rose and Rave On vanished, too. What's the secret? They get plenty of water and are in well drained soil.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

James - Fun to watch the progression. Love the yellow hosta. They scream look at me!!

DD

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madplanter: The soil in this garden is very well drained, which I think is key with heuchera. but it dries out quickly (plus the roots from the cherry tree are a bit invasive). I think some of the more derived forms of heuchera are really not very durable or vigorous. The hardier ones in my experience Palace Purple, Caramel, and more recently plum pudding (pictured) seem to be very vigorous. Fire Chief is not. A lot of water and extra miracle gro just to keep it going (didn't help that rabbits gnawed it down early) I find some almost impossible to grow (Lime Rickey, aforementioned Midnight Rose specifically) So I won't bother with them again. If you don't have one yet try a Ligularia This one is "Desdemona" Likes the same conditions as hostas can take a heavier clay soil, but likes to keep its feet moist. Nice yellow flowers at the end of July. Oh and its self seeding so the next year you will have lots of little ones to pot up and give to friends....
    J

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

It never gets old, does it? Each year it's amazing how it goes from snow covered, to seeing green, to an explosion of growth.

Good job with the progression pics, always standing in the same spot so it's easy to compare. Also, interested in your heuchera thoughts because I have trouble with them, too.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nope, NEVER does it get old. Looks great, Jim. Really great. Just got a Caramel, planted next to Journey's End, color contrast is fantastic, I love it.

Don B.

• jimr66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know it hasn't been a week yet but in the last 4 days its really come on.

Cheers
    James

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Looks great, I love the contrasting shapes and colours.

My heuchera do well, too. Southern Comfort, Bressingham, Brass Lantern, Dolce Peach Melba and Venus have always been a good growers for me as well as the ones that you mentioned - Caramel, Purple Palace. The soil around here is very sandy and consequently drains really well, so you could be right about the drainage being the key.