Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckykat13

No more Liberty envy...I finally have margins!!:)

luckykat13
10 years ago

My liberty last year late June and now. This will be year 5 in my garden and I thought that it might have been a dud in the margin department but this year looks promising.

Yay. Gail

Comments (20)

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

I put in a very poor Liberty last year, so if that is year one for my plant.
    this maybe year .5 !!! no good surprise on this one..

I am glad to see yours is making the transition to incredible right now !

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

It's funny that your Liberty has always shown leaves with such narrow margins! Mine had the wide margins,even as a small plant. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Looking good there, Lucky! When Liberty gets its groove back, it sure glows and brightens up the garden.

I had mine close to Sagae, and that superstar did not give Liberty a chance last year to show off.

Mine was new last year, looking fine so far in year 2.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

At least yours is getting bigger. Mine was 3 last year and still a 4 leafed, one eyed wonder. I decided it was a dud, bought a replacement this spring, and wouldn't you know - this year it has two pips.

Your Liberty is looking big and beautiful!

• Gesila
    10 years ago

What a difference a year makes Gail! Looks like your Liberty has started to grow some nice margins!

MadPlanter, I had a dud Liberty too, a one-eyed wonder. I gave it away to my neighbor two years ago. And guess what, it's still a one-eyed wonder this year!

My Liberty in the front gardens went from 4 to 10 eyes this year.

Gesila

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Gesila,

Nice to know it happens to other people, too. I babied that stupid plant. It got extra fertilizer, daily water, and a prime location. I guess sometimes you get a bad one.

Here's hoping Liberty 2.0 grows like the one in your front garden.

Chris

Chris

• uk-hostaman
    10 years ago

5 years and margins like that!...Got to say Luckycat13 i think you have a sagae there....it should have alot wider margins by now....it looks just like my sagae..go buy yourself another liberty and you will see the difference in a couple of seasons..heres my liberty from last year after 3 years

• netcub
    10 years ago

This one is actually about 5 years old, But was originally planted in a very poor location... Its going to start shining now.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

uk-hostaman I love your Liberty! outstanding.

netcub I love the wonderful colour of yours.

Only the second year for mine so not very photo worthy.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

I agree both great looking hosta, congratulations! Here is a picture of mine. Gary

• luckykat13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Now I have Liberty margin envy again. Thanks guys. Oh well. Gonna have to buy another one:). My guy is still beautiful and gets prettier every day but...I can get him a friend.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Now that I look at it again,it does look more like a Sagae,than Liberty. Mine is slow growing also,but always had the wide margins. Phil

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I hope my 'Liberty' someday compares to the beauties you all have. Mine is just unfurling very slowly; It was a single-eyed plant last year, and this season it has three, maybe a fourth pip just breaking ground. I'll post a pic in a few days. As soon as there's something to shoot.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Liberty' as it was on April 21st. I'll go take a pic in the morning to compare progress; I'm just happy I've got more eyes this year; Now is the time to start getting excited about it growing up!

Don B.

• Jagd51
    10 years ago

I so want to declare war on Wabbits. My Liberty had two nice big pips......now one is eaten to the ground. Also 3 others that were new last year, all chewed off. Couldn't they go after one that has 30 eyes?

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Oh no! How disheartening.

• User
    10 years ago

The first picture is my Liberty from a couple of days ago. Below it will be soon after it emerged this year. It has four eyes now, and the margin seems fine to me. In the background or just behind it is Sagae.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Here she is, enjoying some cool rain; Pic taken today. She got worked pretty hard by frosts/freezes, but no reason she shouldn't thrive this season.

Don B.

• alyciaadamo
    10 years ago

My first thought was you have a Sagea

• luckykat13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It could be Sagae. I have one and his margins are slimmer than my Liberty but I suppose there could be some variability in margin size. Never fear! Ive received a new Liberty with wide margins for Mothers Day from my sweet husband who understands and supports my obsession. Happy:). I'm gonna take pictures of all three and post later this evening.