lavendargrrl

Jewel of the Nile?

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

Does that sound correct for this one?

Comments (10)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Right off the bat, I wouldn't think so. The leaf shape doesn't match my JON. How old is it?

Gesila

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gesila, the plant has been in the ground at least since 2007 - maybe 2006. It is, however, in close proximity to a maple that is obviously competing with any plants in that vicinity and most of the plants there aren't growing well. The coloring looks like I would expect, but you're right about the leaf shape being off. Shouldn't the edges of JON be a little wavy?

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Yes, the leaves are a little wavy. JON was the hosta that got me hooked. It was popular on this forum 5 years ago.

The leaf colors on JON isn't consistent. I think alot of people stopped buying this one because it kept reverting back to Dees Golden Jewel. I had to cut a chunk of mine out last year so it didn't get it's picture taken. Here's mine from 2012:

Gesila

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your JON is really pretty! I think the pattern - especially the inconsistency of it - on mine looks like JON, but I don't think the leaf shape is right. Are there any others that look like mine that you can recall? I'm a little stumped with this one.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Do you have markers for hostas that you haven't located yet? Have you used hostalibrary.org ?
    Did you happen to have Sugar Daddy? It's a slow grower and the width of the edges are inconsistent. I think I lost mine over the winter. It was in a pot.

Gesila

This post was edited by Gesila on Mon, May 12, 14 at 19:50

• Gesila
    9 years ago

How about Aristocrat? I just walked by mine and it reminded me of this one.

Gesila

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gesila, unfortunately many of my markers were lost in the years that I wasn't actively nurturing my hosta bed. This past winter I had the bright idea to pull out the remaining markers because some plants were missing and the bed was a real mess being overtaken with ivy. In my defense, I did think that I had some photo maps and a spreadsheet with all the info, but my external hard drive died. The markers were in bad shape and we tossed them in the scrap metal recycling pile. I am pretty sure I never had Aristocrat or Sugar Daddy either one. I am positive I did have JON and I think it was planted in that vicinity. I wonder if this could be a JON gone rogue? :)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Does Jack of Diamonds ring a bell? It kind of looks like that.

Karen

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Karen. That name does not sound familiar.

This morning I got some measurements. This plant is 16 inches tall, The span is 28 inches, and the leaves are 8 inches long and 6 inches wide.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a shot with the tape measure showing the height.

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Tue, May 13, 14 at 12:04