Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Cathedral Windows

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

Well, the good news is I found it today. The bad news is I found it today looking like this little sad baby. LOL I think I will be relocating this one in the near future. It's yet another one suffering from the maple tree.

Comments (12)

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Oh those Maple tree roots. I actually had a huge Maple Tree cut down so I could grow hostas root free.

I just got 25 Spin Out bags in the mail and am going to be putting hostas in an area that has 3 Maple Trees. I'm tired of losing my hostas over winter that are in pots.

I have two Cathedral Windows. One is growing in late afternoon and evening sun and loves it. The one that is growing in full sun isn't growing quite as fast.

Here's the one that gets the late afternoon/evening sun:

Gesila

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Are you sure that's Cathedral Windows? It doesn't tend to colour up like that until later in the season.
    Vanessa

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanessa, I really do think that is CW. I think the differences our zones. This picture is the one I took at plant delights nursery last week. We are in 7B and our plants our head of yours I would imagine. It is in the area where I remember planting that one also.

Gesila, I may have to invest in some Spin Out bags as well if I want hostas to grow in that area. Your CW is beautiful, by the way!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Her photo is from last year at the end of June, Vanessa. But, mine has already colored here in Texas. If I have time today, I'll take a photo. It's still a baby, though.

bk

Added photo

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:56

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey - sorry my photo from PDN is sideways! Darn iPhone....

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The saddest part is I bought this hosta from PDN so it was a much larger plant when I first planted it (in the bed full of maple roots, LOL).

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Cathedral Windows in August '13

Paul

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

bkay, I was referring to the OP's picture, not Gesila's. Gesila clearly states her picture is from the end of June but the OP says her picture is from today.

I guess I just can't fathom zone 7b that far ahead of us. I guess I am jealous! LOL!

Vanessa

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Vanessa, we've been really warm - dare I say HOT - the last few weeks. I need to move Cathedral Windows ASAP and see if I can revive it. I think there are actually 2 small eyes left. Keeping my fingers crossed for some growth this summer.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I am going to add my picture since we are documenting color changing in different zones. I have this one, taken this year, of Cathedral Windows grown since 2012. This was taken April 13, 2014.

This taken April 26, 2014, two weeks later.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Tossing this pic in as a comparison to the others. This pic was taken 07/13/2013. As of today, mine is barely past pips, unfurling, variegation can hardly be discerned.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Vanessa, that Cathedral Windows of mine is brand new. It was at least 4 weeks behind the rest of my hosta. It came from the frozen north when they could finally ship. It must have been almost May when it came. It was just small pips when I got it. My hosta came up in March. Everything was up by April 15. We're always a month or more ahead of the Northernmost climes. Ours bloom earlier. The second flush comes by June 1. Right now, I have open blooms on LS Shore Master and Olive Bailey Langdon. I have scapes on lots of plants. We're just way ahead of you guys.

bk

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner