Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Do these look the same to you?

bkay2000
9 years ago

These are a couple of survivors from those liners I bought last year. One is labeled Maui Buttercups and the other is labeled Irish Luck. Obviously, I mislabeled one when potting. They look the same to me. If I can get some agreement, I'm going to pot them up together.

bk

Comments (9)

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

I would say Maui Buttercups for both of them especially if that is puckering on the leaf at the two o'clock position of the larger one.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

just do it...

whats the worse that happens... you repot them when they end up different???

ken

ps: how long can a given plant stay in a given pot.. before you need to change out the media????

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Nope, I count 6 veins on the larger one and at least 8 on the smaller one. Magnifying glass on enhanced picture by clicking on it.

Jon

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jon, You can't go by vein count when they are this young. I don't doubt the smaller one is Maui Buttercups, as all the liners seemed true to type. The smaller ones has 5 and 6 veins. MB has 11 or 12 when mature. So, you can't expect them to have an accurate count at this age. The smaller one came back from dormant eyes. The larger one did not. That might account for the difference.

Ken, either Steve or Pieter (can't remember which) said to change the media every three years. I can show you what happens if you don't change it ever, though. I'll post it on your thread.

bk

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

bk, I learn something new every day.

Thanks,
    Jon

• User
    9 years ago

BKay, where might I find the picture of what happens if you don't change the media ever. I'm interested in seeing that one. I think it could also use its own thread. It sounds like timeless topic to me.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had to look deep for that photo. It's now on Ken's thread about potted hosta.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, BK. I saw it there just now. My Maui Buttercups is looking bad this year, but surviving now that it has a better draining pot. It is a nice golden hosta, so I'll replace it, if it comes to that.

Hmmm, not even a single picture this year. Well, THAT is a statement I suppose.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, I don't think so. My striptease is one of the best hosta I have. It never burns, doesn't come up early enough to get cold damage and never gets ugly spots. I didn't have any new photos of it. That doesn't mean I don't really enjoy the plant. What it means is it hasn't been giving me any problems and is not in my line of sight. So, after Gesila said she hadn't taken photos of her Lakeside Ripples(?) and that meant something, I rushed out to take a couple of photos of it.

bk