Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

irrestible newcomers (pics)

Mary4b
9 years ago

It's such a long miserable spring, I'm not surprised that my money flew out of the wallet for these fresh plants from a grower in Denmark, Wisconsin. Haven't seen their stock before, so will keep an eye on it. And ironically, I think they are all hostas "with issues". They had Fire Island, too, should I get that? Their stock all looked very lovely and they were on sale for 7.99 each.

Clockwise, starting at 1 o'clock:
Hotspur
Great Expectations
Moonstruck
Great Expectations (looks different than the other)
Robert Frost

Hotspur, I guess this is a fairly new one from the UK...I have heard it is very slow? One eye.

GE: I had already determined that this would be my year to try GE in few different spots. I'll either divide one of these, or get another one to try 3 different locations. I hope they are labeled properly...the photos seemed to emphasize their differences. I suspect they just had different lighting at the growers. Do you think I should be concerned?

Moonstruck, couldn't be fresher and more lovely in the pot. Wow. But...I hear this one disappears, due to all the white in the center. Anyone enjoying this? I wonder if it gets ratty super early. Lots of eyes.

Robert Frost was the first of the bunch that I grabbed up. It was my favorite, just 2 eyes. Another slow one.

Already planted 3 of them...Moonstruck was VERY rootbound and the others were reasonably rootbound. Well, at least they had a lot of roots!

Comments (19)

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOPS on the spelling in the title, was in a hurry to show you my pics!

I photographed the hostas on top of the maple tree stump. This is very symbolic, to show who is in charge again!
    (I had removed most hostas from the front yard hosta bed because of that maple tree...it's gone now and hostas are MOVING back in this year!)

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hotspur on the stump!

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great Expectations On the Stump!

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moonstruck on the stump!
    This plant seems like an expression of joy & light in the pot...I hope it will be nice in the ground.

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert Frost on the stump!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Hi Mary! A beautiful haul looks-wise and size-wise!!! My new RF last year was smaller than yours - even your leaves are displaying some maturity already. Nice!

Your nine-o-clock GE resembles mine. In 2012 I moved it to a sunnier location to promote vigour as it had so little of the green margin ... I figured it needed all the help it could get. "Without enough sunlight, white-centered hostas can be difficult to grow because they lack chlorophyll in the main portion of the leaf. In more sun, the green portion of the leaf can often produce the extra food needed for the hosta to thrive."

My GE got potted last fall but will be sited in the same location this year. It did not burn. The centre just got lighter. Of course it helps that the substance of the leaf is better than average.

I don't think you need to be concerned about the differences in GE - it reminds me of June and her differences in terms of sun exposure. They all vary to some degree depending on where they were grown originally and for how long before reaching you, the consumer, right?

I am glad you are trying GE, especially in your cooler zone. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Dont be afraid to try one in more sun! Mine gets sun from sun-up to about 2:00 pm and loves it! I'm in zone 5. We will have to compare its progress! I'm forecasting you will be another successful GE grower! :-)

Jo

Edited after seeing close-up pics. Wow! Even more glorious! Those are humongous! Lucky you, Mary!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 9:47

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostas to RECLAIM the front yard garden en masse! This is my front garden bed, originally dug in about 2002 and mass planted with hostas from Home Depot bags. I didn't know anything about them, just wanted a cheap, attractive ground cover. By about 2008, my hostas started to shrink in size...I took most of the hostas out and put in this ground cover, geranium macrorrhizum. It worked very well, but two huge old maple trees came down in summer of 2012. Last year, I decided to invest in a large tree after everything in the front yard fried and I missed having the large shade trees. This Sunburst Honeylocust should look nice with my gray house and provide shade for a brand new hosta bed.

The area outlined in white is where hostas were removed & will be planted. The yard will also get a couple more trees, yet to be selected.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Mary,

These are so beautiful! I only have experience with GE (2 of them) for the last 2 years. They have been doing great since I planted them fall of 2011. They do receive 3-4 hours morning sun and have been doubling the sizes every year. I don't treat them differently than other hostas.

I go to Door County several times a year to visit my folks. Do you have the nursery name? I am making a list of excursions for my drives up there from Lake County in Illinois.

Picture is taken May 2013

Vivian

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jo! Yes, thank you for sharing about your GE! I will definitely place at least one like yours...full sun until about 2 pm. Once I get the sites selected, I will document it and show progress. Should be fun!

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Vivian, your GE is gorgeous!

The growers are in Denmark, but they are selling the plants at Shopko, a local NE Wisconsin chain that you're probably familar with. I don't think the grower has a nursery we can visit. When are you coming? I could pick some of these up for you, if you'd like. (I'm near Hwy 41 in Menasha, if you take 43 north, I'd be out of your way.)

I'm putting a link here of an earlier discussion for you, it will point to some good places, and local hosta folk. I'll let you know if I can think of more. There's a hosta convention in GB in June.

Here is a link that might be useful: NE Wisconsin hosta sources and peeps

• zracer
    9 years ago

I also live in Menasha I didn't know that area had a big following of these little plants

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Nice plants! I have;of the ones mentioned: Robert Frost(really got frosted this spring),Moonstruck,but yours is much older than my two;and GE.Mine is smaller,though I've had it a long time,it really looks good this year,due to being underground when the freeze hit. Good finds for you! Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

That Sunburst Locust will provide beautifully dappled shade for your hosta. I always thought it was a perfect hosta friendly tree when my girlfriend had it in her backyard. Your front will have amazing impact when you are done with your hosta project! This will be great to follow as it progresses! :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I like your attitude, Mary! &*@^&%$ Maples! Go for it!!

Nice group of hostas 'dancing on the grave' of the maple, if you will...

Don B.

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zracer, from that link....I know that Jill in Forest Junction has a lot of hostas, she told me on another link that she's going to be an alternate site for visitors to the Hosta Convention in June.

And then there's Jen in Menasha, I've never met her but she has a lot of hostas, too and is also very friendly.

Myself, I don't really have all that many varieties, but I like them!

How about you, Zracer? I don't believe I've seen your name before (welcome!)

I think I'll start a discussion of the GB convention on another thread, in case a bunch of us are going.

Don...exactly! Dancing on the maple tree grave, they are!

Jo...that's good news, I did get mixed opinions on whether or not the Sunburst was good for hosta gardening, but I like the tree and felt my yard needed a boost of brightness. Can't wait for it to leaf out.

• zracer
    9 years ago

Yes, I'm new to this site I'm a landscape designer in the valley and just love hostas I do have growing number as far as the newest one empress wu I can't wait for years on that plant.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Mary you hit a gold mine for the super large hosta. Hard to believe the good prices you got. Any local here are $15 to $25 each some more. The $7.99 are so small and usually one maybe two eyes.
    Like your incredible title. I just bought 4 Incrediball Hydrangea to compliment my hostas and can feature the 12 inch flowers they are suppose to get( will see!)
    Lovely plants you got for the maple garden

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I love the plan, Mary. I think you are really going to like Robert Frost. I don't find it slow at all. It will become a favorite.

Steve

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Mary, Thank you for the info and the link. And you are so nice in offering to pick up some plants for me!

I started a list of gardens/nurseries in WI so I can plan to visit them during my trips to Egg Harbor. I live in Libertyville, IL so some of the places listed in your thread and link are convenient for me to visit.

Thanks again and enjoy your new additions!
    Vivian