Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

OK,what's the deal??

hosta_freak
9 years ago

With this weather right now? We had 44 degrees this morning down here,so how did you all up north fare? I hope you didn't have any bad cold,considering you are having your hostas coming up. Just curious. Phil

Comments (24)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It's weird. We've been in the 60's all week. It should be in the 80's. Is it cool everywhere?

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Not here. We've had abnormally hot weather here the last 3 days...into the 90's...setting records.

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Zone 5Canada- had 25 Celsius days ago, this morning a cool 6! High 10 today, brrrr but all plants A-oK. :-). I don't mind but going down to 1 tonight...I don't trust that forecast, so it is off to the garage overnight for the streaked seedlings and the less hardy small/minis...everyone else will have to fend for themselves in their pots where they are!

• Gesila
    9 years ago

It was 35 degrees at 4:30 am. It's too cold to even be outside right now. I took a quick stroll and some of the hostas look like they've received some damage. The windows of the car were frosted over at 4:00 am.

Gesila

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Here in zone 5 NY we had several days in the 70s (one day 83) day time and nights above 50, but this will change to 60s day and in the mid to upper 40s at night. I had my new seedlings in the open under shade, but the next nights they will be covered. Last winter killed several large rhododendron branches and 3 newly planted redbud trees. I am surprised that the large magnolia bloomed beautifully.
    Bernd

• zzackey
    9 years ago

50/80 here. Below normal by about 15 degrees at night and 7 degrees daytime. I'm loving it!!

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

On the cold side here near Green Bay...we had a frost advisory last night and I did feel frost on the grass still at 7am... At least it's sunny today, which is a rare occasion lately. Apparently they had snow in the NW burbs of Chicago this morning.

With all the bad reports on pip damage this year, I was feeling hopeful that mine were safe in the ground. However, now that they are coming up and unfurling, I still have more damaged, sad looking pips than I recall in years past. And to top it all off, some culprit had a hosta feast 2 nights ago on the SE corner of my house...all the front border hostas have been munched 1/2 way down....so much for that corner looking good this year. Grrrrr.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Good grief, I am THANKFUL for the cooler weather! It was upwards of 90 degrees for the last two weeks, I think. Totally miserable! Couldn't even be outside and the orders were rolling in from the frigid north and it's too hot to do anything with them. What a shock to the hostas, too, can't even find cool enough shade for them when they are coming out of that kind of cold and going into 90 degrees. This has been crazy this year.

Ahhh, but the next few days, a normal Spring descends, 70 degrees...sweet. Too bad it won't last.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

In San Antonio a couple of weeks ago we were in the upper 90s and the last few days have been around 70. We had lows in the 40s for a couple of nights, which often doesn't happen after February. Back to the low 80s now. It doesn't get any nicer than it is today.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Weather channel said 31 at 6:00 AM today. DW had to scrape the car windows earlier. Frost warning for tonight. I haven't seen any damage to my hostas yet but I really didn't want to look to close...denial?

Gesial, we must be in the same vicinity.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

high 80s in reno for two days back to 60 on mon tues-nights to remain warmish-low 40s-hostas going like a house afire

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

candidate for division

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

golden fortune

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Here in northern Virginia we had 90 degrees earlier this week, then 2.5 inches of rain overnight into this morning and now I hear lows in the 40s tonight. Sheesh.

Cynthia

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Olddirt, we're just outside of GR in Ottawa County. Are you in Western Michigan? There's a WM Hosta Society meeting next Thursday. They always have a great auction.

We have a frost advisory tonight from 12 am until 8 am. I'm sure the thinner leaved hostas will suffer some.

It's going to be a cool summer here. Lake Michigan was almost frozen solid this winter. They don't expect the lake to warm up until late this summer.

Gesila

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Gesila, I am just a little west of you, near Zeeland. The meeting and auction, is it open to non members or usually attended by "outsiders?"

I'm hoping for the best tonight, I haven't covered anything. I didn't see any damage from last night yet.

• User
    9 years ago

Some of my tender new arrivals got a dose of too much sun on a hot day. Now they are fine, since we've had 3 nights in a row of 50-ish weather. However, tonight it is now down to 67 and won't get to 50 that I can tell. Even those potted up this week loved the cool evenings--guess it made them feel like back in MN and IA and NH and WA....and today NC as well. All are happy nothing like frosty weather for us.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

Three more months until fall, and we don't even have leaves yet.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Old dirt, I'm practically your neighbor! I live in Jenison. I'll start a new thread on the meeting. I don't want to completely hijack Phil's thread!

Gesila

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

2am this morning (half an hour ago), I checked the Weather Network and saw the frost warning as it is 1 degree C outside. I got up out of bed and went outside and used 29 cloches and 4 large 20' fabric covers to cover my hostas as best as I could. Some of the smaller pots I brought inside.

Hence my post this late/early :)

• miketropic
    9 years ago

just staying above 40 here at 4 am...never had a frost this late..may 10th was our date..so I hope it holds out

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Yesterday morning at about 6:30 am there was widespread frost and the temp was 30. I don't know how my hostas have fared, I guess I'll find out later. All have leafed out or are unfurling yet. Except my potted hostas. Some are slowly unfurling, others are just sitting there as pips, others show no signs of life. I'm done with hostas in pots up here in Michigan. The survivors will get put in the ground, somewhere, whether it's full sun or not. Better than rotting in their plastic coffins.

Karen

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

98 a while back, then 4 inches of rain (which we desperately needed), followed by days in the mid 40s to mid 50s and frost warnings at night. Lousy for bedding plants, but the hostas are perking back up. Even with watering those hot windy days left them limp. Starting today it's supposed to warm up. The rain kicked the trees into leafing out, so there's a bit of shade. Should be perfect growing conditions.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

It was 42ú when I awoke this am, then it dropped to 41ú. No frost in site. The sun is out now so it should start warming up. Our forecast is for cool weather but lows in the low 50s for the upcoming week. That should be good for gardening. I have frost damage on some of my 1st year seedlings. They came up early because they are in a raised bed. I should have mulched them. Learning by trial and error and error and error...

Happy about the weather,
    Beverly