Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Gushing.....

hosta_freak
9 years ago

I'm not a big person for gushing about things,but I will say your pics this year are outstanding! I would post more pics of my garden this year,but my garden was destroyed by a late freeze on April 15th. A few were unaffected,but,for the most part,it is'wait'll next year'! Here is an assessment of this years garden.
First Frost=frosted
Frozen Margarita=frozen
Fried Green Tomatoes,and Fried Bananas=fried
Sagae=sag gone
Lakeside Ripples= looks like it drowned in the lake
Cliffords Forest Fire=looks like it was IN a forest fire
Lakeside Lagoon=drowned in the lagoon.
All the pics you have posted this year are great,and I'm happy for you,but it just makes me sad,as my garden will not recover this year. I may post a few individual pics of some hostas,but no overall garden shots. Thank you for understanding. Phil

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Buying new hosta will help your spirits.

bk

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Phil - You lost your hosta but not your sense of humor! As they say - This too shall pass, and by all means, don't go away and continue to join in the conversations.

DD

• Gesila
    9 years ago

Second flush Phil!

I have tons that won't be picture worthy this year. I think someone called them shrinky dinks! I'm hoping they'll be back next year.

Gesila

• User
    9 years ago

Phil, I really feel for you. What happened to you in spades, could happen to any one of us.

May I suggest that when you have a chance, consider the long term use of photos of the damage, what can happen in a Perfect Storm situation. If you can bear to take the pictures, don't look at them now. Just take them, and wait for an adequate period of mourning to pass....because you have all the signs of bereavement. One day, those pictures could serve as precautionary tales to folks who don't know what cold damage and hail damage looks like.

Think about it. It would be a lesson for all of us. Like looking at the pictures of Hiroshima after the bomb.

If you have an appropriate seedling or sport to name, Perfect Storm is an option worth considering.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

So sorry that your hostas have taken a beating.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

I am sorry about your hosta, but you made me laugh out loud! And I agree with Moccasin, taking pictures of them and their progress/recovery would be quite educational and helpful to others who may find themselves in your shoes in the future.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

I feel for you Phil. It was at Ken's last year that I thought as I looked at his collection - "So that's what my hostas are suppose to look like!" Late freezes, drought, over-crowding, maybe I'll learn, but there's just too many hostas and not enough space.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

"Cliffords Forest Fire=looks like it was IN a forest fire".........

Phil, man, I'm really sorry they got fried so bad.

Your comment about CFF had me laughing my tail off, though! Glad your sense of humor is still intact, and I still have hope you might have something good to look at come second flush...

Cheers,
    Don B.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everybody here keeps talking about second flush. Well,that's not how hostas grow down here. They put up the initial flush,then shortly after, the second flush. After that they just maintain the leaves until fall when they go dormant. The hostas that suffered the most damage were already in second flush when the freeze hit,and the only ones that did well,are those who are always late risers,like all the sieboldianas,and tokudamas,who never have freezing problems. I've said it before,and I'll say it again;down here my only problem has always been the weather. Not slugs deer,rabbits,or even voles.They will live. I have one hosta in particular,that freezes to the ground every year,and it is Fragrant Fire,and this year was no exception. It is one of the early risers,and by the time,it pushes through the leaves it is already too late,and sometimes I don't see it in time. It is a keeper,as it always recovers for the rest of the year! That's my take on the subject,and may all your hostas have an excellent year! Phil

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

That really stinks Phil, we had late frosts here, but there was so much cold that the ground was frozen deep and the hosta laid low until the ground defrosted. I hope your hosta surprise you and make a comeback.

I had 17 rhododendrons that I thought for sure were goners...but they all came back

{{gwi:982457}}

I thought both my Cedrus Atlantica were gone (1 was). This one came back from deer rutting.

{{gwi:982458}}

My favorite tree, Cedrus Deodara wasn't so lucky.

My 3 beautiful DeGroots Spires really where whacked by the deer; but all three have small green areas all the way to the tips and I am hopeful they will survive.

Misery loves company as they say, but don't give up hope

Jon

This post was edited by jonnyb023 on Thu, May 22, 14 at 9:40

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths