Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachygirl1

Will Guardian Angel turn solid green?

Beachygirl
11 years ago

After much research from reading all your very helpful posts and studying pix on HL, I went on tour of a couple hosta growers yesterday. I have a yardfull of w/g var hosta and I want to replace them gradually starting with adding in some blues.

I bought the Restless Seas as was posted here as I needed a vase type for some 'lift' by a wall.

Pretty sure I've been bitten by the hosta bug and I can feel it's wonderful sting! As I toured, I began to see so many names I recognized and I had some notes but they soon became all jumbled in my brain!

Of course I made an impulse buy! Guardian Angel! Only now I am reading they can turn solid. I'm planning morning sun placement, it will be partially under the deck. How much sun will it need to keep it's beautiful variegation? And give it plenty of room right?

Thanks, Deb

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its to die for ... get it.. end of post

ken

oops.. you already did.. lol ... its late to color.. i think.. and it does darken as the season progresses .... SO WHAT!!!!

and yes.. ALL HOSTA CAN REVERT.. nothing special about this one in that regard ...

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Yes, Guardian Angel can revert to all green. But don't worry about it, just plant it and enjoy. If it does happen (and it might not) then let us know and we'll help you separate out the green parts. Morning sun should be perfect for this very beautiful and easily recognizable Hosta. Give it a 48 inch space. Where did you go shopping? Show us some pics of your new plants.

Oh and welcome to the Hotel Hosta. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave (cue the guitars).

Steve

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

How could I have forgotten to post a picture? Inexcusable ommision.

Steve

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I have 2 Guardian Angel hostas for 2 and 3 years, none of them has reverted, no all green leaves. Enjoy it!
    Bernd

• ctopher_mi
    11 years ago

The questions isn't "will it revert?", the question regards Guardian Angel getting darker centers later in the summer.

The answer is that Guardian Angel does get darker colored centers as the season progresses, brought about by heat. New flushes of foliage will still be light colored as they emerge, but then they start to darken as they age through the summer. They actually keep their centers best in a cooler, darker location, and more light doesn't actually help to keep them lighter but could have the opposite effect of making them turn darker, sooner.

I would recommend finding the shadiest, coolest spot in the garden for this one.

• franknjim
    11 years ago

Besides how some hosta change their variegation/colors during the growing season, on occasion they can change into a different hosta or even into a new hosta. Revert/Sport.

This was a Guardian Angel that is now a Blue Angel, I think they should dig it out or at least change the name on it. The picture was taken last year at the open house of Hornbaker Gardens. For size reference, I am 6'1" tall so this is a really big hosta.
    {{gwi:982591}}

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Mine does not turn very solid green. Definitely a must have hosta for me. I live in a place with fairly mild summers, and my hosta are all in a fair bit of shade.

• Beachygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, great info everyone, thanks. Steve, beautiful, that's why I had to have it! What hosta do you have in front of GA in your pix? Will post soon as I can but today I'll be in the garden....

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Lutescent?

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Albescent?

• Beachygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken. The pix of that giant Blue Angel is what I want NOT to end up with.

Deb

• kskaren
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info, Chris, about moving GA to the shadiest part of the yard. I have it now in morning sun, so looks like I'll be needing to find a spot elsewhere...

Karen