Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darkest Green you grow

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 9:25

What is the darkest green Hosta you have in your garden?

The darkest ones I have is Black Hills. Ventricosa, and Lakeside Black Satin. I am trying to do a design and need a circle of dark to surround the decor.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darkest Green you grow

Tracy's Emerald Cup and Lakeside Coal Miner, both medium sized an Coal Miner, a giant (very fast growing).

Gesila

o

Potomac Pride, Invincible, Lily Pad, Royal Standard.

o

Ahhh, if you want something dark and shiny too, take a look at Candy Dish and Lederhosen. And Jaws which has long petioles and the leaf is more on the tip quite different.
Then maybe Celtic Uplands, not a big dude.

o

Oh, I just found Irish Luck on my deck. It's a beauty!

Gesila

o

Edge of Night

Paul

o

Hey, Gesila, I got Irish Luck yesterday I think from LOTG. Look forward to it being a deep dark green.

And I'd forgotten about Invincible, Frank. But mine is not yet a significant plant, however the green is headed toward the dark side. It must take some hosta a while to live up to expectation.

o

My invincible is just green. It's not very dark at all. It's about the same color as U. albomarginata.

bkay
Photobucket

o

The darkest green I've seen (not mine) is a sport of Revolution.

Photobucket

o

Blackjack. Especially in late summer.

Steve

o

Squire John, great color in that picture. Right now, I think my Fragrant Blue is a deep dark Fragrant GREEN! It looks a lot like that deep green plant.

If I were not afraid of ivy, I'd love to have ivy the color in your photo.

o

I'd have to say Black Hills. I also have one of those sports of Revolution,that used to be a Revolution,but changed over to all green Leaves. Revolution never did grow very well for me,so I'm keeping the greenie. Phil

o

I had to leave them at my last house, but Potomac Pride was a shiny leaved dark green strong grower for me.

o

Thank you all for the suggestions. When I finish I will post a pic. I really appreciate your help.

o

Walking through my gardens today and noticed how very dark green this small one is ---Emerald Necklace!

o

Midnight Oil

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here