Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

quick diagnosis, if you will

I'm at a retailer. What do you think?

Comments (11)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Yikes! Don't buy! Vein bleed spells trouble as in virus X.

9 years ago

Here are pics

Here is a link that might be useful: Virus pics

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jo. Wasn't going to buy it, just wanted to be sure I wasn't jumping the gun and falsely sounding the alarm.

Do we have a second yeah on virus diagnosis?

9 years ago

I second guessed myself, quickly found old thread last year with good pics to compare. Figured you may want to show retailer and "educate" such :-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

How about this one

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Don't buy any hostas from that place. Those are horrible looking, and it ain't cold damage.

-Babka

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

still shopping at bigboxstore???

did you get some hardware while you were there... lol

i hope you informed management.. as well as headquarters.. and maybe the local Ag inspector/ agent ... tsk tsk on selling diseased plants ...

county Ag office should be in the phone book ...

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

This is not a big box store, Ken, it's a VERY reputable large local nursery. I like to spend my money locally to support my local economy. I have shopped here for years and they are top notch. They are not growing these hostas, they are being shipped in from wholesalers. I am working with them to identify the problem wholesaler. They get most of their hostas from places like Solberg, but these were sourced elsewhere. I'm sure their not Solberg's. They were already questioning them, but they thought the first pic (Sum and Substance) was because it had sat in the sun all day yesterday. I told them S&S could take plenty of sun and it shouldn't look like that. Not throwing these guys under the bus, just trying to help them.

I await the day when I might actually be seen to have half a brain in Ken's eyes. I ain't holding my breath...It must take many moons...

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:02

9 years ago

Aw, Funnthsun, I understand the chagrin....Ken tends to paint people with the same brush, I found by reading his posts....that we all just fell off a turnip truck! Lol. He should know better by now...(you reading this, Ken?) as you, Funnthsun, are not a newbie, nor a newbie gardener nor clueless. Should we give him the benefit of the doubt...that he forgot whom he was addressing? He admittedly has a tough time with names. Hey, we are all getting older. Lol.

Let it slide, Funn. We know better. :-)

Did you find anything to bring home?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, that WAS my version of letting it go, LOL. You should see the version that didn't get posted! :) It's a recurring theme, though, at least it seems with me, that is why I finally had to comment on it. Sometimes it's do or bust, you know?!

I certainly don't know it all, still have plenty to learn, but I have been gardening for 20 years and the dust from the turnip truck has settled by now, at the very least!

Oh, yeah, my fav nursery, you know I picked up some things, but not hostas. There was a huge Blue Umbrellas that I wanted, but I wasn't going to take a chance on any of the hostas. I grabbed an Astilbe, 2 Coreopsis Moonbeams and a giant heuchera green spice (already had one, but this was was bigger than my two-year old one!)

I'm going to go back and talk to them again about their hosta sources, though and see if I can be of any help.

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Would you let us know who the suspect wholesaler is? My local garden center owner (knowledgeable about lots of plants, but I'm still educating her about HVX) gave me a list of hostas from a wholesaler she's going to visit this week. We've had multiple conversations about HVX, I'm just not sure if she's as paranoid about it as I am.

The first picture looks like HVX to me, but my expertise is exceeded by my paranoia. The second picture looks like bug bites. Did you look for insect infestation?

Kathy