Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what I found...

Posted by tropic_lover 6UT (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 9:43

I have had Francee for close to 20 yrs now and last year one eye came up streaky. I left it alone and now this year it has 2 eyes like that. It was on the edge of the plant so this morning I separated it from the main plant.

I hope this is a sport and not a disease. What do you all think? I have never had a plant do this before but I like it!

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what I found...

Awesome, it looks like a sport to me. I love the colors on it and you did a great job separating it.

The colors in it a very similar to my Patriot that sported. Of course, Francee is Patriot's ggggg grand parent, or something like that.

o

i dont see any disease ...

put some masking tape around the petioles.. just under the huge leaf tops.. and leave it there.. until it falls off ...

and cut the one off.. that is already cracked... leave the celery stalk ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken, I will get the tape out right away. I tried really hard not to crack any of the stems but one got broke anyway.

Linda

o

Very nice, we'd all love to find a sport like that one.

Paul

o

Nice sport, hope it does well for you. Just one more reason to love your Francee. ; )

Don B.

o

I have a streaked sport of Francee, as well. There is one other member that has a streaked sport of Francee, but hers darkens up and turns into a Francee look-alike later in the season. Here's mine:

20140517_173159.jpg

I actually got two different sports off of the same plant. Here's the other sport of Francee:

20140525_150612.jpg

There's a lot of white on this one, so I'm not holding my breath on it making it into another season, but we shall see.

o

Thanks everyone! I am hoping it grows into a nice plant. I know it kept it's color last year, so I assume it will this year too.

Funn- I love the 1st picture you posted! It's interesting to see how many different sports this plant can have. Keep us posted on how that one grows.

LInda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here