Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Success story...

hosta_freak
9 years ago

Here's a pic of Atlantis from today. It was not up when the freeze hit,so it is pristine,and the biggest it has ever been. It is very tall,like all my hostas,and lookin' good! Phil

{{gwi:983475}}

Comments (16)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up,for scale. Phil

{{gwi:983476}}

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Holy Hannah! Woohoo for Phil! Success indeed! Look at that humongous perfectly heart-shaped leaf! What a beautiful hosta. I just love that wide, wavy margin and the feathering of the green - a stunner!

Thanks for sharing such a treat!

Jo

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    9 years ago

Beautiful Phil, mines getting bigger but still has a way to go to match yours.

Dave

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you can stand another success,here is Northern Exposure,a plant that always comes up late. Yes,it came from Lowes! Phil

{{gwi:983477}}

• Gesila
    9 years ago

I'll have to enjoy your Atlantis this year Phil. I moved mine two feet to the west and it's droopy. My leaves aren't nearly as big as yours though.

And, I love your Northern Exposure. It's one of the few hostas that I had in the ground that I lost. (My nephew stomped it to death sneaking of the house through the window).

Gesila

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Very nice, Phil. I love it!

• User
    9 years ago

Nice looking Northern Exposure. I lost my Eskimo Pie last year, and replaced it with Hudson Bay, which is not anything like EP but grows good and looks nice. I never saw a Northern Exposure before, it looks like it has good substance.

Placing your hand on the leaf of Atlantis revealed the size of the plant. My word, it is a lot bigger than I realized, and it is in perfect leaf.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

It is so good to know that all is not lost after your late freeze. So now you have new favorites this year. Geez, aren't hostas wonderfully rewarding?

-Babka

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Phil, I love when you highlight your individual hostas. It's so nice to see them come to the forefront as mature specimens. Northern Exposure has those lovely heart-shaped leaves that no one can resist. Simply lovely!

Jo

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

You deserve a perfect Atlantis and Northern Exposure after the terrible spring you have been enduring. I love big leaved hostas and so I definitely love yours! Perfection!

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

how old is the plant?

looks wonderful!

_~

dave

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

So glad you have something that is doing well. Your Atlantis is great.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very glad to see that Atlantis looking so perfect, and BIG! Your Northern Exposure looks awesome, too.

Gesila, did you kill your nephew, or did you show mercy and simply beat him to a pulp? ; )

Don B.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Phil - Very impressive hosta. Happy that all was not lost for you this year.

DD

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave,bragu,if you will,if you're talking about Atlantis,I looked it up in my records,and found that I bought it from a local nursery in July 2010,so it would be not quite 4 years old in the garden. Northern Exposure,I estimate to be 3 years old,since I bought it on a whim at Lowes,while passing through. Thanks for all the kind comments! I have a few that were untouiched by the freeze,but my biggies,like Sagae,and Lakeside Ripples,were devastated. Phil

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Phil, congrats on the success of at least a couple of your hostas. Enough success to carry you through the year and know that next year will be better :) A hopeful heart is a happy heart.