Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Tiara??

hosta_freak
9 years ago

I just found,and bought some kind of Tiara hosta at my local plant sale. It has been in a pot for what looks like years,but I don't recognize it. It must have in excess of 50 eyes,but all their label says is Tiarra? I want to divide it,as it is really pot-bound. It has lance shaped leaves,in light green with a thin dark green margin. Any Ideas? Sorry,I haven't taken a pic yet. Phil

Comments (21)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

It could be an Emerald Tiara...maybe? Don't have one, just looked at all tiaras at quick glance...love a mystery before pic comes into play! :-)

Jo

It's so huge you could divide it to make more? :-)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    9 years ago

Phil, I wouldn't call any of the Tiaras' leaves lance shaped. Pictures please....

Pieter

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK,I got a pic of it. I can't say I have ever seen one like it. It also has red dotted petioles. Take a look. Phil

{{gwi:983602}}

9 years ago

Well, isn't that a luscious looking hosta! Dotted petioles? Wow. Forget what I said earlier, lol. Can't wait for it to be I.D.'d. :-)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close-up of one of the leaves,with a wider variegation. Phil

{{gwi:983603}}

9 years ago

Something made me look at my young Mister Watson from last year. MW in a mature state has wider leaves, more rounded. Trying to identify juvenile plants sure is fun - and puzzling! Your beautiful hosta has certainly upped my anticipation! Now I just have to curb my enthusiasm and wait patiently without posting again while others chime in. :-)

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

Chinese Sunrise?

Paul

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

didnt you snap a pic of the couple hundred i had in a 40 foot arc around the end of one bed???

line a path ...???

its rhizomatic [sp?] ... so dividing involves pulling apart the rhizomes [underground runners] .. as compared to cutting ...

put about 3 crowns in each hole...

or plant them in a crack in the driveway ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I'm thinking Chinese Sunrise as well...

Don B.

9 years ago

Ken, are you saying you know which plant Phil has? If that's the case, why don't you just tell us please? We want to know for sure, especially Phil! :-)
    Thanks,
    Jo.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey,thanks a lot ya'll! Chinese Sunrise it is! I even looked it up on the HL,and in one of my hosta books. Diana Grenfell even described it exactly,and her picture of it was exact,also. I never even thought of going somewhere else,because I had Tiara in my head. The odd thing is this plant sale was by the Master Gardner group of Franklin! They may be master gardners,but they don't know hosta speak! Lol! Phil

9 years ago

That's great, Phil! How about that? :-). It so happens that I also ordered Chinese Sunrise on reserve for pick- up among others just last week. I love the shine and shape! Someone on the forum posted a great pic last year and it went on my list. I hadn't bothered to look at it again when I emailed my order. I just looked now and The colour in Grenfell/Shadrack book shows the chartreuse already turned green. What a difference in colour but still a very pretty hosta! :-)

Picking up my newbies hopefully around May 18th when Hosta Fever re -opens.

Jo

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on the Chinese Sunrise plant. I just finished dividing up the plant,and let me tell you,what a hard job! The plant was severely rootbound,so I had to cut it apart. I got 5 smaller plants,and a larger one for the garden. I planted the small ones in a line up by my house,in a new bed I had prepared there. The other one is in the garden. And,for Ken,if you think I could just pull apart the divisions then you must be a lot stronger than I,Gunga Din!! If they all live,I will be happy,but all have roots,and that's all I can hope will be enough. I will post a pic,if they look like they are making it. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Looks like Paradise Island to me. How much red are in the petioles?

Steve

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve I have already identified it to my satisfaction;as to the red in the petioles,it is not really that red,but enough that you can see it if you look close. Phil

• jimr66
    9 years ago

Looks like "cracker crumbs" to me,

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cracker Crumps is a miniature hosta. No way is this plant a mini! Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Steve,I went back and looked up Paradise Island on the HL. No way is it that plant. The margins are too wide. Thanks,but I think I have the right ID. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

no jo ... those pix werent there when i posted ...

it doesnt look like a tiara to me ...

but i asked phil ... if he got a pic of my arc of tiara ...

it would really help.. if there was a scale to the pix ...

it does look like chinese sunrise.. but i still barely have pips ... the library says it might be related to lancifolia... and it is almost the same size... if phil has that one ... leaf size might be compared ...

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Phil,

I think you are right that it's Chinese Sunrise. If so it will green up fairly quickly and look like Lancifolia for the remainder of the year.

Steve

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are right,Steve,it does look like a variegated Lancifolia,but I don't have one of them. The redness in the petioles is very slight,and may be from where it was grown,but I don't know where exactly that was. The book I read was Diana Grenfells,and it said it would become light green later in the season. I can live with that,but right now it is a nice golden color. For ten bucks it was a find,considering how large it was! It was for a good cause,and you won't ever find any hosta that large for just ten bucks,no tax! And Ken,no I didn't get a pic of your arc of Tiaras,but then,you had so much garden to look at,and besides,I've slept since then! Lol! Phil