Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavendargrrl

Might this be Beckoning?

lavendargrrl
9 years ago

I purchased it about 7 years ago. Not sure where I put it.

Comments (16)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

I can't ID it, but it is definitely beckoning to me. Beautiful. I want it.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am quite fond of it too, Harry! I could just kick myself for ripping all my labels out of the ground over the winter BEFORE making some kind of map. Apparently I wasn't thinking straight that day, haha.

• Gesila
    9 years ago

My Beckoning is slow to develop the yellow center and changes colors as the season progresses. I think it emerges almost a solid color. I think this is a hosta that looks quite different depending on the amount of light it gets. There's someone on this forum that has a drop-dead Beckoning that inspired me to get mine.

I didn't get a picture of it last year and it's still rolled up. Here's a picture from 2012:

Gesila

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

I was thinking Paul's Glory.

Paul

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Pretty sure your plant is not Beckoning . Here is an early JUNE pic and a late July pic of the same plant. Your plant is showing too much yellow for this time of year.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Agreed it's not Beckoning. I don't think it's Paul's Glory, either. I did have that one before, but it was planted clear on the other side of the yard. I will give this more thought. I did post another 'unknown' yesterday that I wonder if it might be Beckoning. It has very faint variegation right now.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

This is my H. Beckoning.

It unfurled Tuesday or Wed, and is still small.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe this is Dream Weaver?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

I thought Paul's Glory too...

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, I'm quite sure I didn't plant Paul's Glory anywhere in that bed. In fact, I remember where the label was this winter when I ripped all my labels out, and it was clear on the other side of the back yard. Hmmmm....

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Hmmm...it just looks...Well, pretty glorious...we'll keep guessing...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Just saw your other post, Angie...made me curious, might THIS one of yours be George Smith?

Don B.

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, I see the resemblance. I also think this one could be Paradigm. What do you think?!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Angie, Paradigm sounds pretty much on the money, IMO. See, it's all coming back now, isn't it? Hosta names poppin' in your head, mentally filed from years back, just being stored in your subconcious, waiting for a (visual? or other type) trigger of some kind that will bring the name back to the forefront of your mind!

You're starting to remember all your varieties; or at least more every day.

WELCOME BACK, GardenWeb Member...Welcome Back, hostaholic...The force is strong within you : ) Now, when you are ready, give us more types we can help you I.D.....

Cheers! : )
    Don B.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of my Paradigm if that helps. There is definitely a similarity.
    {{gwi:984246}}

• lavendargrrl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What actually triggered the George Smith and Paradigm was Paula's plant list she sent me! Hooray! Thank you, Paula :-) Funny that I even remember where I initially planted many of the hostas. In fact, I must have moved Paradigm because it wouldn't have been doing well when where I put it first!

I have to say I am truly grateful for all of the help you all on this awesome forum have been, and I am not sure how I managed to stay away for so long!! I guess sometimes life takes you other directions for a bit. I am also pleased with how my hosta memory is coming back! I definitely have some more unknowns, and some that I many just need a confirmation on.

I really appreciate the warm 'welcome back', and I look forward to learning more from you all and enjoying your wonderful pictures!