Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Might this be Beckoning?

Posted by lavendargrrl 7b Apex, NC (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 10:05

I purchased it about 7 years ago. Not sure where I put it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Might this be Beckoning?

I can't ID it, but it is definitely beckoning to me. Beautiful. I want it.

o

I am quite fond of it too, Harry! I could just kick myself for ripping all my labels out of the ground over the winter BEFORE making some kind of map. Apparently I wasn't thinking straight that day, haha.

o

My Beckoning is slow to develop the yellow center and changes colors as the season progresses. I think it emerges almost a solid color. I think this is a hosta that looks quite different depending on the amount of light it gets. There's someone on this forum that has a drop-dead Beckoning that inspired me to get mine.

I didn't get a picture of it last year and it's still rolled up. Here's a picture from 2012:

Beckoning photo Beckoning20120525_zps1f009155.jpg

Gesila

o

I was thinking Paul's Glory.

Paul

o

Pretty sure your plant is not Beckoning . Here is an early JUNE pic and a late July pic of the same plant. Your plant is showing too much yellow for this time of year.

o

Agreed it's not Beckoning. I don't think it's Paul's Glory, either. I did have that one before, but it was planted clear on the other side of the yard. I will give this more thought. I did post another 'unknown' yesterday that I wonder if it might be Beckoning. It has very faint variegation right now.

o

This is my H. Beckoning.

It unfurled Tuesday or Wed, and is still small.

o

Maybe this is Dream Weaver?

o

I thought Paul's Glory too...

Don B.

o

Don, I'm quite sure I didn't plant Paul's Glory anywhere in that bed. In fact, I remember where the label was this winter when I ripped all my labels out, and it was clear on the other side of the back yard. Hmmmm....

o

Hmmm...it just looks...Well, pretty glorious...we'll keep guessing...

Don B.

o

Just saw your other post, Angie...made me curious, might THIS one of yours be George Smith?

Don B.

o
What about Paradigm?

Don, I see the resemblance. I also think this one could be Paradigm. What do you think?!

o

Angie, Paradigm sounds pretty much on the money, IMO. See, it's all coming back now, isn't it? Hosta names poppin' in your head, mentally filed from years back, just being stored in your subconcious, waiting for a (visual? or other type) trigger of some kind that will bring the name back to the forefront of your mind!

You're starting to remember all your varieties; or at least more every day.

WELCOME BACK, GardenWeb Member...Welcome Back, hostaholic...The force is strong within you : ) Now, when you are ready, give us more types we can help you I.D.....

Cheers! : )
Don B.

o

Here is a pic of my Paradigm if that helps. There is definitely a similarity.
Paradigm photo 029.jpg

o
RE: Paradigm

What actually triggered the George Smith and Paradigm was Paula's plant list she sent me! Hooray! Thank you, Paula :-) Funny that I even remember where I initially planted many of the hostas. In fact, I must have moved Paradigm because it wouldn't have been doing well when where I put it first!

I have to say I am truly grateful for all of the help you all on this awesome forum have been, and I am not sure how I managed to stay away for so long!! I guess sometimes life takes you other directions for a bit. I am also pleased with how my hosta memory is coming back! I definitely have some more unknowns, and some that I many just need a confirmation on.

I really appreciate the warm 'welcome back', and I look forward to learning more from you all and enjoying your wonderful pictures!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here