Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seandkat

Largest Green and White Hosta?

Seandkat
11 years ago

Hi I love the hostas with white on them and I'm wondering what the largest ones are?

Thank you all for your input.

Comments (13)

• davej_07
    11 years ago

Any of the white edged Sum and Substance sports.
    Dave

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

I believe that the largest white edged green hosta that is widely available is Victory. There are some larger ones, but they aren't in production, as I understand it.

bkay

• User
    11 years ago

To illustrate that, I have Winter Snow, a sport of S & S, with a fairly narrow white margin and a light green or chartreuse leaf. This is what it looks like in its second year:

A question though:
    How white do you require? I think Sagae has a creamy border and it is a fantastic big guy, but whether you think it is a light enough margin is up to you to say. Look for it because I do not have a Sagae--yet. :)

• User
    11 years ago

I have Victory in 3 pots now, wish I'd planted them all in one. A really smooth plant in its first year with me.
    Here is the 2-eye pot:

and one of the 1-eye pots with a medium-sized quick growing fragrant Iron Gate Delight (white margins) in the background.

I recently won this plant on HL Auction from the breeder, Stuart Asch, and it might wind up being a big dude. Sure is looking fine: Nathan's Nirvana

• davej_07
    11 years ago

It also depends on your idea of big. Frosted Jade makes a nice large leaf with a rippled edge.
    Dave

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

It's probably Victory. It emerges yellow and then goes to cream and then white. The pic below was taken at the end of June.

Steve

• lindac
    11 years ago

Well antioch is a pretty big showy white edged hosta for me....but looking at pictures it's not as white as mine.
    {{gwi:226494}}

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

Any large ones that emerge white, not cream or yellow?

I have a green/white section, and I think the creams clash with the whites. (Even though the creams eventually turn white)

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Parhelion may not be the biggest but it is big. Mine is pictured two years in my Theresa's Angel Garden under a black walnut tree. This progeny of S&S is growing like crazy. That is a mature silver maple treein front of it.

psst: that's a lie, it is just a seedling. See the 6" ruler?

Les

• User
    11 years ago

Gee, Les, Parhelion looks a lot like Winter Snow, another S&S progeny. They both have a very fresh look to them. I'll concede that Parhelion is much bigger than the Winter Snow I have.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

Time will tell. "My Hosta Base" in HL has Winter Snow rated as VL and Parheliion as L. Regardless, they both are a striking light green with white margins and good substance. I like them better than my S&S.
    I was down on G/W variegated hostas for a while, but within the past year have added Dianna Remembered, Liberty, El Nino and Sweet Innocence, and would like Victory. My 3 year old Fragrant Bouquet is stepping out and developing wider white margins this year and Regal Splender shows promiss. But if any of these get really large it will be a surprise.

Les

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

My Parhelion is the largest green and white I have. My Sagae is bigger,but the edges stay yellow-to cream,not white. Excuse the hail holes,please. Phil

{{gwi:984258}}

• roblksd
    11 years ago

Spartan Glory is a nice fast growing large one, I also like His Honor. Many of the Sum and Substance sports are nice but also not that different from one another. Rob

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths