Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Largest Green and White Hosta?

Posted by Seandkat 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 10:05

Hi I love the hostas with white on them and I'm wondering what the largest ones are?

Thank you all for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Largest Green and White Hosta?

Any of the white edged Sum and Substance sports.
Dave

o

I believe that the largest white edged green hosta that is widely available is Victory. There are some larger ones, but they aren't in production, as I understand it.

bkay

o

To illustrate that, I have Winter Snow, a sport of S & S, with a fairly narrow white margin and a light green or chartreuse leaf. This is what it looks like in its second year:
Hosta 'Winter Snow'

A question though:
How white do you require? I think Sagae has a creamy border and it is a fantastic big guy, but whether you think it is a light enough margin is up to you to say. Look for it because I do not have a Sagae--yet. :)

o
Victory? Another one I have...

I have Victory in 3 pots now, wish I'd planted them all in one. A really smooth plant in its first year with me.
Here is the 2-eye pot:
Hosta 'Victory'

and one of the 1-eye pots with a medium-sized quick growing fragrant Iron Gate Delight (white margins) in the background.
Hosta 'Victory'

I recently won this plant on HL Auction from the breeder, Stuart Asch, and it might wind up being a big dude. Sure is looking fine: Nathan's Nirvana
Hosta 'Nathan's Nirvana'

o

It also depends on your idea of big. Frosted Jade makes a nice large leaf with a rippled edge.
Dave

o

It's probably Victory. It emerges yellow and then goes to cream and then white. The pic below was taken at the end of June.

Victory

Steve

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 18, 12 at 13:08

Well antioch is a pretty big showy white edged hosta for me....but looking at pictures it's not as white as mine.
Photobucket

o

Any large ones that emerge white, not cream or yellow?

I have a green/white section, and I think the creams clash with the whites. (Even though the creams eventually turn white)

o

Photobucket
Parhelion may not be the biggest but it is big. Mine is pictured two years in my Theresa's Angel Garden under a black walnut tree. This progeny of S&S is growing like crazy. That is a mature silver maple treein front of it.

psst: that's a lie, it is just a seedling. See the 6" ruler?

Les

o

Gee, Les, Parhelion looks a lot like Winter Snow, another S&S progeny. They both have a very fresh look to them. I'll concede that Parhelion is much bigger than the Winter Snow I have.

o

Time will tell. "My Hosta Base" in HL has Winter Snow rated as VL and Parheliion as L. Regardless, they both are a striking light green with white margins and good substance. I like them better than my S&S.
I was down on G/W variegated hostas for a while, but within the past year have added Dianna Remembered, Liberty, El Nino and Sweet Innocence, and would like Victory. My 3 year old Fragrant Bouquet is stepping out and developing wider white margins this year and Regal Splender shows promiss. But if any of these get really large it will be a surprise.

Les

o

My Parhelion is the largest green and white I have. My Sagae is bigger,but the edges stay yellow-to cream,not white. Excuse the hail holes,please. Phil

Photobucket

o

Spartan Glory is a nice fast growing large one, I also like His Honor. Many of the Sum and Substance sports are nice but also not that different from one another. Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here