Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilangel181

Hosta IDs Please

lilangel181
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I was hoping yall could help ID these two types of hostas which came with our home. Both have large leaves, lavender flowers, and have been growing since AT LEAST the early 2000's - possibly longer. I did a little research and thought the first one might be either Francee or Patriot, and the second has me stumped. Thoughts?

Thank you!!
~ Laura

Comments (8)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

The first one looks like Patriot,and the second is Undulata,the center-variegated type. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

phil???

you have two undulata's ..

they are commonly called.. the white edged one.. and the white centered one.. lol

undulata albomarginata [white margin]

and undulata mediovarigata [middle variegated] ... but it also just called undulata ...

if you have more.. a scale helps... anything we would recognize.. i see the first as a lot bigger leaf than patriot.. is phil is right.. then i see it different..

ken

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I popped outside after work before it starts to rain again. Does this help? That would be a yardstick (3 feet long for us Americans!) in front of the hosta bed. They are my first hostas ever, and I think its lovely the way the previous owner used two types that were almost opposite. :) Thanks so much for everyone's expertise!!!

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

They are your first hostas???

Will they be your only???

Looks like you could fit a lot of fragrant hostas in there! If you were to get rid of all but one of each of the two varieties you have now. :)

Or you may want to never visit this forum again.

• lavendargrrl
    9 years ago

Is it possible that this is both of the undulatas? I think the white edged is undulata 'Albomarginata' and the white centered is undulata 'Medio Variegata'. They look pretty planted together. Welcome to the hosta forum! If you are interested in getting more hostas to go in your yard, this is certainly a good place to hang out and learn. If you simply wanted to know what you had, that's okay too. Good luck with your gardening endeavors :)

This post was edited by lavendargrrl on Tue, May 13, 14 at 22:51

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh there's a whole acre to play with! I'm thinking of putting a few in the very back on the weedy hill by the pond, assuming the tree providing most of the shade isn't dead down the middle...

• hostasmith
    9 years ago

There are more than 2 Undulatas. I do agree that the first is U. Albomarginata and the second could possibly be U. Variegata or Univittata or like Ken said Mediovarigata.

Looks like you are not running the other way yet?

Check out the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library U

• lilangel181
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked up the different types yall suggested. I think Univittata has too narrow of a stripe so should be ruled out. (Tell me if I'm wrong?)